The best Kung Pow chicken youll ever try!

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Ingredients: 4 chix breasts,Green onions or scallions(I usually get 3 bundles), garlic clove, ginger root, japanese chille peppers, raw peanuts,rice wine, hoisin sauce, black bean sauce, garlic chilli sauce, brown rice.

The wine and sauces can all be found at the grocery store but for a better bargain go to an asian store.

1. Start the brown rice.

2. Dice up the chicken and fry up in a wok or large pan with a tablespoon of canola oil. (The recipe calls for peanut oil but I just use what I have)

3. Prepare the sauce: Chop up a few cloves of garlic and the ginger root. Mix 1 tablespoon rice wine, 2 tablespoons each black bean sauce and hoisin sauce. 1 tablespoon garlic chilli sauce. Mix together.

4. Chop up green onions in 1" pieces.

5. When chicken is done set aside.

6. Poor another tablespoon of oil in the pan and heat until it's almost smoking. When it's that hot throw in a dozen of the red peppers and blacken.

7. Throw the raw peanuts on, then the chicken, green onions, and sauce. Stir it up and it's ready to serve.

Warning I don't eat the peppers I just set them aside.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Another thing I thought of If you've never used ginger root you have to chop the outside layer off. You can cut sparingly you don't need alot. Just a little but the flavor is fantastic!

D

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
THANK YOU!

kung pao is one of my al time fav's.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
interesting....i might actually be able to eat chicken breast again now if I try this out.

Can you give a ballpark of what the calories/fat content is like?

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Well just looking at the sauces theres 1 gram of fat and 18 grams of carbs in them which is spread out in 3-4 servings. The only other fat comes from the handfull of peanuts and 2 tablespoons oil. So I'm gonna say it's pretty low fat high protein.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Cool thanks...I was pretty much just wondering about the sauces..I've never used black bean sauce oddly enough, and i cook everyday. Is there a lot of sugar in the hoisen?

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I guess there is. out of the 15 grams of carbs 13 are sugars. Thats per table spoon.

S

spitboy2000

Board Supporter
Awards
those chinese sauces are full of sugar. sometimes, but not often, you can get em without much oil, but they're mostly full of canola oil and sugar. I'm just sayin....

M

mymilkexpired

Awards
Well, i made this tonight. I have to say, growing up in the chinese portion of houston most of my life i am a bit biased about what i like. This recipe tastes pretty darn authentic! Both my wife and I liked this quite a bit. Its definately a make again!

Two Bulls

Two Bulls

Awards
I made this tonight and it was awesome. I couldn't find the black bean sauce at the store, was hungry as hell and didn't feel like driving all over town but it still turned out great. I did, however, add some low sodium soy sauce and some Sriracha to give it some more spice. Thanks a ton for the recipe. I'll be keeping this one saved.

F

f1ghter33

Awards
thanx !! i ll try it !

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
One thing I would add to this is teriyaki sauce. The rest of the recipe looks great though. Just that small addition would make it taste great