Giant Protein Pancake

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Giant Protein Pancake

I have been eating these every single morning for the past 2 months so I thought I'd share this amazing recipe. The original idea is from Big Mike over at xtrememass.

Giant Protein Pancake

1/2 Cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 Cup fat free cottage cheese
    4 Egg whites
    Cinnamon

1. Blend ingredients til smooth. Spray standard medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over med-hi.

2. Dump in batter and sprinkle on blueberries and chopped almonds if so desired (this is optional, but DELICIOUS). Begin heating a second pan (can be same size or bigger).

3. Peek under pancake by lifting with a fork until golden brown. Flip onto second heated sprayed pan.

4 Heat til other side is golden brown. Enjoy with sugarfree maple syrup and a hot cup of coffee.

W/out Almonds:
    296 Calories
    33g Prot
    35g Carb
    4g Fat

P/C/F:
    45/43/13

The blueberries are negligable nutritionally and the almonds add quite a bit of (good) fat so adjust according to your diet. Also, if you get sick of them one way, you can always change it up (peanut butter, banana, chopped strawberries, etc.)

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.68%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by auto_mail8939
    I have been eating these every single morning for the past 2 months so I thought I'd share this amazing recipe. The original idea is from Big Mike over at xtrememass.

Giant Protein Pancake

4 Egg whites
    Cinnamon

1. Blend ingredients til smooth. Spray standard medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and heat over med-hi.

2. Dump in batter and sprinkle on blueberries and chopped almonds if so desired (this is optional, but DELICIOUS). Begin heating a second pan (can be same size or bigger).

3. Peek under pancake by lifting with a fork until golden brown. Flip onto second heated sprayed pan.

4 Heat til other side is golden brown. Enjoy with sugarfree maple syrup and a hot cup of coffee.

W/out Almonds:
    296 Calories
    47g Prot
    38g Carb
    5g Fat

P/C/F:
    50/37/13

The blueberries are negligable nutritionally and the almonds add quite a bit of (good) fat so adjust according to your diet. Also, if you get sick of them one way, you can always change it up (peanut butter, banana, chopped strawberries, etc.)
    Sounds good, why do you need 2 pans though? Can you not just flip it or does it fall apart easy?
  3. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Recalculate your macros. There isn't that much protein in them. More like 40 g's. That is unless you are using 1 full cup of egg whites vs. 4 actual egg whites. An egg white has roughly 3.5 grams and the pasteurized egg whites in a carton are 6 g's per 1/4 cup for a 1 full egg equivalent of protein.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Grassroots082
    Sounds good, why do you need 2 pans though? Can you not just flip it or does it fall apart easy?
    It's just hard to flip in the same pan because it fills the entire pan. If you can do it, more power to you. And no, it does not fall apart--it's quite hardy actually.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Recalculate your macros. There isn't that much protein in them. More like 40 g's. That is unless you are using 1 full cup of egg whites vs. 4 actual egg whites. An egg white has roughly 3.5 grams and the pasteurized egg whites in a carton are 6 g's per 1/4 cup for a 1 full egg equivalent of protein.
    Good eye, my mistake was in the cottage cheese. Accidentally accounted for another 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese. Anyway I updated the macros. Thanks.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.17%

Will try! Thx
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by TaeKwonDoKid
    Will try! Thx
    Let me know how they turn out. Also another variation I've been doing is adding 1/2 squeezed lemon + splenda & lemon zest to the batter... lemon blueberry pancakes = YUM.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.5%

Just tried this but I used a packet of weight control instant oatmeal (banana bread) instead of just oats. Pretty good, thanks for the recipe.
  8. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.53%

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr

I would think it depends on the size of the egg no? Medium, large, extra large, and jumbo.....I Personally use nothing but the huge jumbo eggs
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    I would think it depends on the size of the egg no? Medium, large, extra large, and jumbo.....I Personally use nothing but the huge jumbo eggs
    Regardless, my mistake wasn't in the eggs, I somehow accounted for an extra serving of lowfat cottage cheese--anyhow the original post is edited and correct.
  10. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.3%

Had these this morning with a banana, Stevia, one yolk and some olive oil blended into the mix. Outstanding. Yesterday I did up the blueberries in exchange for the nananab. My kids love these things too which is an added bonus of only fixing one breakfast.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.17%

Well I made these tonight and they were pretty good. I'm going to throw some blueberries in next round. I threw a banana in one of the batches and it had really good flavor.

Some notes and observations:
    The recipe I used for a batch was:
    3 Egg whites and 1 Full Egg
    Cinnamon

Trying to cook these in a pan was a pain in the ***. I tried to flip it into another pan but it was stuck and when i tried to get it up with a spatula I created a crumbly disaster. I went and got my griddle after the second try and they turned out perfect. You will also definitely need a good blender to mix all these ingredients till they become a batter like consistency.

Make sure you apply some oil to your cooking surface because these seem to want to stick very well. I found it helpful to recoat within batches.

I turned the giant pancake into 4 smaller ones because it was much more manageable. They also cooked much faster when they were this size.

Final thoughts: This is an easy to create meal that has very good macros and can easily be changed to taste different with different ingredients added. I also like that this meal is very cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Good idea, I'm going to take a pic of mine too
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.17%

I'm interested in seeing your monster creation
  14. Work Horse
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.64%

I made one last week. Its so-so for me, but im a picky eater. It is very easy to make however.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%

I just made it....

definitly easier to make like 2 or 3 small ones but damn that was fantastic!!
  16. Work Horse
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.64%

I think what i didnt like about it was the sugarfree syrup. That stuff is dirty.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by MadMas
    I think what i didnt like about it was the sugarfree syrup. That stuff is dirty.
    I get log cabin SF syrup and don't mind the taste at all... then again rarely had I eaten syrup in the past so I guess I don't know any different.
  18. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.3%

Quote Originally Posted by MadMas
    Throw some stevia and blueberries in and you don't need syrup. Tastes like a blueberry muffin.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%

wow! I tried these this morning and they were GREAT! I've decided to pre-prepare them in the evening so i can just heat them up in the morning and be on my way. Ive never been able to find such a fast convinient and extremely healthy breakfast. I changed the recipe slightly I added a scopp of protein powder and 2 tablespoons of milled flax seeds, it was great. Some othertime Ill try it with blue berries and almonds
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by sundevil04
    wow! I tried these this morning and they were GREAT! I've decided to pre-prepare them in the evening so i can just heat them up in the morning and be on my way. Ive never been able to find such a fast convinient and extremely healthy breakfast. I changed the recipe slightly I added a scopp of protein powder and 2 tablespoons of milled flax seeds, it was great. Some othertime Ill try it with blue berries and almonds
    Yeah I used to make them several at a time and nuke 'em in the morning when I was on the go. Quite convenient and very nutritious.

Edit: if you store them in a plastic bag with a couple paper towels wrapped around them, the towels will soak up the moisture and keep them from getting wet and nasty in the fridge.

Anyhow I took a pic of my pancake this morning--wally world was out of blueberries so this one just has almonds. When I dump the batter in, I throw the almonds on top so when I flip it over, the almonds toast and get crispy. Friggin great.

Oh and sorry if the pic isn't the greatest, I took it with my phone... you'll get the idea though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Thx for the recipe..gonna try it right now and report back tonight
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Update: pretty good, bud. but, it is a bit plain how I made it, so I'll have to tinker a bit.

thx again for the recipe, keep it up!
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    Update: pretty good, bud. but, it is a bit plain how I made it, so I'll have to tinker a bit.

thx again for the recipe, keep it up!
    Yeah I guess the thing I like the most about it is it's like a template; a blank page. Add what you want, experiment, etc... if you don't like it one way make it another way.

Also I've found that 4 egg whites can be substituted for 2 whole eggs (or 1 whole egg and two whites). If you don't like it so "eggy" then just do 1 whole egg and 1 white (or just 3 whites).
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%

blueberries and splenda make all the difference in the world
  25. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.29%

Giant Protein Pancake

4 Egg whites
    Cinnamon

W/out Almonds:
    296 Calories
    33g Prot
    35g Carb
    4g Fat

P/C/F:
    45/43/13

Another variation:

1/2 cup John McAnne Steel Cut Oats (or 1 cup rolled oats)
    1 cup Lowfat Cottage Cheese
    1 whole egg
    1 Scoop Vanilla OnWhey or Equivalent
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 cup Skim Milk, as necessary

Optional:
    2 Tablespoons Almond Butter; and/or
    1/4 cup frozen blueberries; or
    1/2 cup of chooped almonds or walnuts; and
    1 chopped banana

Preheat oven 200 degrees.

Place the oats in a blender on liquidate, run until they're pulverized into a fine powder. You may need to stop, shake it up, and try again in order to get a consistent powder if real fine stuff gets stuck in the bottom. Pour the oat powder out into a bowl -- All of it, especially the fine powder stuck in the bottom.

Mix cottage cheese, egg, vanilla, whey, in a blender. If you're adding almond butter, do it at this stage. Add the oats back in and mix. If it's too thick, add up to 1/4 cup of skim milk until you're looking at a batter of pankake-batter-like consistency.

Variations:
    If you want to make banana or banana walnut pancakes, you can add 1/2 bannaa & walnuts at this stage.

Pre-heat one or more nonstick pans over medium-to-low heat for a couple of minutes. You won't need oil in a nonstick, but if you like 'em that way, I suggest 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil.

Add 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries (or chopped bananas if you went that way) in to batter and stir to distribute evenly -- You may need to restir between pourings. Pour batter into a pancake shape into each pan.

As soon as you see bubbles forming and begin to distribute evenly in the batter-up side, go ahead and flip the pancakes. The 2nd side will require less time. When each pancake is done, throw it in the 200 degree oven on some kind of over-safe plate. When all pancakes are done, put on some kind of oven mit and serve from the hot plate.

They taste great and nobody will ever know what they really are. Serve will REAL 100% maple syrup from a tree (eschew commerical corn syrup preparations), but don't go crazy.

Enjoy!
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.53%

definitely had these before but added in a scoop of chocolate whey... mmmmmmmmmm might wana try that also
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Looks really good. However I'd be apt to throwing in more egg whites and/or cottage cheese rather than using a whey supplement. Not that they're bad but I only use em for post w/o.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.05%

mmm i dropped like an inch of a banana and a handful of blueberries in the batter when blending..i wanna just eat the batter it was soo good. Is it possible to just microve the batter, into a semi cake like substance, im too lazy to throw on a pan and cook them individually lol
  29. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    mmm i dropped like an inch of a banana and a handful of blueberries in the batter when blending..i wanna just eat the batter it was soo good. Is it possible to just microve the batter, into a semi cake like substance, im too lazy to throw on a pan and cook them individually lol
    that's pushing it
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.05%

that's pushing it
    hahah ...im just thinking could these be poured in like muffin tins...they taste identicle to blue berry muffins or banana bread when u go so long without having the real deal
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%

Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    hahah ...im just thinking could these be poured in like muffin tins...they taste identicle to blue berry muffins or banana bread when u go so long without having the real deal
    True. I have tried baking the batter in a small glass baking dish--but it basically turned out to be a mess (stuck to the pan, didn't brown on top, fell apart). But if you know how to bake I'd say go for it. I'm just not so sure the microwave is going to please in this case. If you're really pressed for time I just put one of those really big skillet pans on hi and make like 4 small pancakes--they fry up real quick.
  32. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.05%

ok il have to try that..maybe next time il try my waffle maker. These things are kickass. quarter or half an apple and cinamin blended into the mix, and apple cinamin mmmm. Good thing i tried these out, i seriously think i dont need to cheat now that i have this recipe in bag
    THANKS
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.75%

Tried it today. It turned out a little dilapidated, only because I messed up trying to flip it. I had to vary it a bit due to lack of ingredients. Went with banana and it tasted awesome. Goood recipe!
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.03%

I gave it a run last night and added blueberries and almonds. Didn't like the almonds in there but blueberries were good but a little plain. I did eat without any syrup though. Gonna add splenda and try again but its really easy to make, good recipe.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.65%

Made a double batch of these for breakfast for the gf and I today and I must say they are amazing!

I went heavy on the cinnamon, added a bit of olive oil, two table spoons of peanut butter, and two scoops whey.

The double batch made 8 "normal" sized pancakes. She ate one and I ate two and the rest are in the fridge. I think I found my new breakfast staple.

The Log Cabin sugar free syrup was pretty good too.
  36. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.76%

add some splenda, calorie free butter( or butter made from olive oil) and vanila extract...good eats.

If you want to make them fluffier/moister throw in some vegetable glycerine....mmmmmmmmm
  37. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.91%

Name:  IMG_1465.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  1.04 MB

8 egg whites
    1 cup of oats
    1 cup frozen blueberries

blend together for 30 seconds

if you want to take it to another level add some fat free-sugar free pudding as a sort of frosting, hell of a sunday morning breakfast!
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.64%

Giant Protein Pancake

4 Egg whites
    Cinnamon

W/out Almonds:
    296 Calories
    33g Prot
    35g Carb
    4g Fat

P/C/F:
    45/43/13

I finally got to make this, and it is AMAZING!!!!! Next time I am going to make several small ones rather one big one so it can cook better.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.44%

I just made these per the recipe, and they are FREAKING GOOD! Instead of making one big pancake, I made 4 smaller ones. A few pumps of butter spray and some sugar free syrup make these even better.
  40. UKStrength

I'm going to have to try one of these asap! Expect my photo soon...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Protein Pancakes
    By CareTaker in forum Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 04:11 PM
  2. Sweet Potato Protein Pancakes
    By jjohn in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 09:59 AM
  3. Protein Pancakes Revisited
    By matthams in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0