Blackened Chicken with Sweet Potatoe and Broccoli Mash

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My girl found this recipie on the BBC website. I love it, the Sweet Potatoe & Broccoli mash is awesome.

I have included the sauce but i dont usually bother with that.

Seems like a lot of spices but once you have them you could make this dish hundreds of times.

Ingredients
For the blackened chicken
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp oregano
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp ground mixed spice
1 chicken breast
55g/2oz plain flour (i find a lot less flour, say half is needed and gives a better result)
1 tbsp olive oil

For the sweet potato mash
½ sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 broccoli florets
1-2 tbsp butter (i usually leave this out, makes no difference)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For the sauce
1 tsp butter
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1-2 tbsp chicken stock
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. For the blackened chicken breast, mix all the herbs and spices together in a small bowl, to combine.
3. Add the flour to the mix and stir well.
4. Coat the chicken breast in the spiced flour, shaking off any excess.
5. Heat the oil in a small frying pan, over a moderate heat, and then add the chicken to pan-fry for 5-6 minutes on each side, before placing into the preheated oven to continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.
6. For the sweet potato mash, place the sweet potato dice into a pan with boiling water, over a high heat, to boil for 6-8 minutes.
7. Add the broccoli florets to the water, and continue cooking for a further 1-2 minutes.
8. Drain the sweet potato and broccoli from the water, then mash with the seasoning and the butter. Mash until smooth.
9. For the sauce, place all the ingredients into a small pan, over a moderate heat, to reduce and thicken for 3-4 minutes
10. To plate up, spoon the sweet potato mash onto a serving plate, top with the blackened chicken, and spoon a little of the sauce over the top.

:cheers: