chicken breast- tired of grillin the suckers

bosco

bosco

Awards
  • Established
i buy chicken breast in bulk from costco's- and i've been grilling them for the past however long. don't mind it cause i end up using my roommate's george foreman- takes abt 10 min. but what are some other alternatives to grilling? i was never a great cook, just stick to what i know. but i'd like to branch out and try something new.

tops2heavy

tops2heavy

Awards
simply cooking them in a pan with some coconut oil... I usually throw in some fresh veggies with them.. topple that over brown rice and it's a very good meal.

Could throw them on a baking sheet at about 350 degrees for around 20 minutes or so using your favorite topping.

Or one of my favorites.. Grease up your sheet with just plain cooking spray. Take one bowl and crush up some special K in it. Take another bowl and put 3-4 egg whites in it. Dip the chicken breast into the egg whites, then into the crushed special K cereal , or a cereal of your choice. Throw it on your spreadsheet for 20-25 minutes at 350.

BMW

Awards
  • Established
grill them with charcoal sure its more demanding but nothing ever beats the taste of a charcoal grill.

Mach .78

Mach .78

Awards
  • Established
Take the chicken and put it a tupperware container with one of Newman's dressings and some cornstarch. You want to talk about good chicken? Grill that up. Let it sit like that in the fridge overnight and then cook it. The cornstarch makes it so tender.

eGhost

Awards
I take my chicken breast and flavor it up with McCormick grill mates seasoning. There are several to choose from and helps to change up the taste of your chicken throughout the week. The best thing about it is they are only around $1 per package. Check the link below to see what they offer.

P.S. You can bake in the oven or grill with these.

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=7039

eGhost.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you ever tried steaming your chicken?I think it is one of the best cooking methods for retaining the nutritional value..You just fill up a pot about half way, set the water to boil, then put the breast in a metal strainer with some lemon and garlic, put the strainer on top of the pot, cover the strainer with a plate, and voila steamed chicken. You can also buy a small electric steamer that does the exactly the same thing for like $25, I have one but can't remember the brand. Also, I think they make attachments and pots like this as well...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever tried steaming your chicken?I think it is one of the best cooking methods for retaining the nutritional value..You just fill up a pot about half way, set the water to boil, then put the breast in a metal strainer with some lemon and garlic, put the strainer on top of the pot, cover the strainer with a plate, and voila steamed chicken. You can also buy a small electric steamer that does the exactly the same thing for like $25, I have one but can't remember the brand. Also, I think they make attachments and pots like this as well...
Interesting, I've never tried that before. How long do you have to steam it before it's done? Personally I've just started buying the canned stuff and adding veggies/hot sauce for taste, because I got tired of grilling/baking too. Tried getting it all done on Sundays, every other day, once a day, preparing my meals for the next time interval. It's just a pain in the ass. Canned chicken is not that much more expensive, tastes reasonably good, and can be eaten on the go and requires little to no prep time, just a can opener and a few condiments if you're of a mind for them.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
My buddies gf cooks chicken in the microwave. I don't know how that could possibly be good but they say it is.:stick:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It only takes about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the breast. I just like it this way because you keep the breast exactly as it is nutritionally, some methods you can cook all the good stuff right out..And this way isn't that much of a pain either
http://www.t-fal.ca/tefal/products/product/index.asp?univers_id=200&dept_id=220&sku=L00117
That is it right there, I think you can buy it at most department stores and Wally Word and the like. Mine was $25 dollars, and it was honestly the best 25 bucks I've ever spent. You can do alot of stuff with this thing, plus it comes with a rice bowl for the easiest rice you have ever made.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It only takes about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the breast. I just like it this way because you keep the breast exactly as it is nutritionally, some methods you can cook all the good stuff right out..And this way isn't that much of a pain either
http://www.t-fal.ca/tefal/products/product/index.asp?univers_id=200&dept_id=220&sku=L00117
That is it right there, I think you can buy it at most department stores and Wally Word and the like. Mine was $25 dollars, and it was honestly the best 25 bucks I've ever spent. You can do alot of stuff with this thing, plus it comes with a rice bowl for the easiest rice you have ever made.
I used to sell something similar way back when, when I was still in school and working in retail. I thought it'd be handy for rice, I had no idea you could cook chicken in it. Sounds like something I'm going to try.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah man, it's awesome. It's unbelievable how much time it saves you, and you can make so many dishes with it. Another trick is to put some lemon on the chicken and in the water at the bottom, so as the steam is coming up it is lemoned flavoured, plus it makes your house smell good.:D...Really easy clean up too. T-Fal should be my BB'ing sponsor, I'm pushing their product pretty hard here...

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Check out the add at the top of the page. Could be pretty good.

adpanther

Awards
Try poaching them it works great and if you have a good quick read thermometer its practically fool proof.

I like using this recipe from a show called Good Eats for my liquid.
but you can use pretty much anything that can boil and not burn.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_14131_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

Bring your liquid to a boil in a large frying pan (non-reactive). Carefully place desired number of chicken breasts into the liquid should be almost completely submerged. Reduce heat and bring liquid to a temp of 165 cover. since your liquid is the temp you want your food to be you can theoretically leave it there all day long and it won't dry out. cooks in about 20 minutes double check meat temp and youll be fine. you can also poach fish but make your liquid temp about 140-145.

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you're not on a super strict diet and can afford a few extra grams of carbs, then Shake 'n Bake can add a little variety. They have a few newer flavors that are different, like Ranch Herb, Parmesan, Italian. It's fairly easy to prepare and cooks in 20 - 30 minutes without any attention (turning). Probably wouldn't want to use it all the time, but it's nice for an occassional change-up.

dd

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For a little spice, I brine my chicken breasts overnight in a light salt solution, then inject some curry paste into the center of the chicken before cooking them.
They end up incredibly tender and the curry paste diffuses from the inside out, so they are spiced all the way through.
Yummy.
If I am short on time, I take some poultry seasoning, cajun spices and pan fry them in a little extra virgin olive oil.
Sometimes I take my natural peanut butter and make a satay sauce for the chicken, sweetening it up with a bit of splenda, great for dipping the chicken into.
I have just found Walden Farms Calorie Free BBQ Sauce at my local Cub foods, which claims to be calorie, fat, and carb free. It tastes ok too :)
Hope that helps.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
One recipe that i love that i use occasionally a healthy chicken parmesan. I put about a half bottle of lite italian dressing in a casserole baking dish, put in chicken breats, and the fill with the rest if the italian dressing. Spice a little more if you like, I do. Bake for 35-45 minutes and flip halfway through. Boil some Barilla pasta PLUS and your favorite sauce. Tastes so good!:cheers:

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
i like to bake my chicken breasts to get away from the foreman grill. i like to cook em at 425 for 20-25 minutes. i usually put a layer of foil under and a layer of foil over the chicken so it doesn't get roasted to hard. i like to coat the breasts with i can't believe its not butter spray/ mccormics pizza seasoning grinder/worstichire sauce. you can take the foil off the top for the last 5 minutes to get a little golden brown action.

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
Cook them until they are about half done the usual way you do then cut it up into pieces. Put it in to a baking dish throw a can of cream of brocolli soup in and bake until chicken is cooked. Top with a little cheese and your good to go.

hardmuscl4life

Awards
Another way to prepare a chicken without oil is as follows:

Cooks a whole ovenstuffer roaster

Bring a large pot of water to boil. (there should be enough water in the pot to completely cover the whole chicken) When the water is boiling, put the chicken in the water, cover it and bring it back to a boil. (takes about 5 to 10 minutes) Once it is back to boiling, turn off the fire, heating element...whatever and let it sit for an hour. The chicken will continue to cook but does not loose its juice. After the hour is done, take it out, pull the meat from the bones and use in whatever recipie. It comes out real moist and juicy this way.

TaeKwonDoKid

Awards
simply cooking them in a pan with some coconut oil... I usually throw in some fresh veggies with them.. topple that over brown rice and it's a very good meal.

Could throw them on a baking sheet at about 350 degrees for around 20 minutes or so using your favorite topping.

Or one of my favorites.. Grease up your sheet with just plain cooking spray. Take one bowl and crush up some special K in it. Take another bowl and put 3-4 egg whites in it. Dip the chicken breast into the egg whites, then into the crushed special K cereal , or a cereal of your choice. Throw it on your spreadsheet for 20-25 minutes at 350.
Will try! Thx

surfrat

Awards
Try putting a couple of pounds of boneless skinless breasts in a 9x12 pan with a layer of long-grain/ brown rice. Mix in 1 can of Cambell's mushroom soup(plus one can of water) add some spices, cover with tin foil and cook at 350 for about an hour. Food for a couple of days.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This thread is great... Awesome input here, and it comes at just the right time! I've been eating cheeseburgers, etc. and bulking all winter, and now that summer is coming and I'm trying to shed some fat, chicken breasts are a large part of my diet.

There are about 10 different methods here that I'm going to be trying out, if we have Cream of Broccoli at home that's on the agenda for TONIGHT! Sounds delicious...

tinytami

Awards
My favourite way to do chicken breasts is in my slow cooker...
You can actually leave one of these on low while you're at work, and when you come home...Voila! Dinner is served!

1 tablespoon olive oil
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup lite soy sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained with juice reserved
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook chicken breasts just until evenly browned on all sides. Place breasts in a slow cooker.
In a bowl, mix honey, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, and reserved pineapple juice. Pour into the slow cooker.
Cover, and cook 4 hours on High or about 8 hrs on low (until chicken juices run clear). Stir in pineapple tidbits just before serving.
Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Remove breasts from slow cooker. Blend the cornstarch mixture into remaining sauce in the slow cooker to thicken. Serve sauce over the chicken.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Here lately, I have been cookin them using the broiler.

-Put a sheet of alum. foil in a pan (you'll regret it if you don't)
-Spread sauce (see bottom) on both sides of chicken
-Place in preheated oven at 375 for about 11-13 minutes (aim for the low side to begin with)
-then turn on broiler for another 4 mins or so or until you see brown spots show up (pay attention or you will burn the chicken!) and don't worry about the sauce in the pan burning, that's what the alum. foil is for

I prefer to leave my chicken under the broiler for longer because I like it really crispy.

Also, if you actually do this make sure you have a thinck piece of chicken, otherwise you will end up with a dried out piece of leather!

I also make my own mustard sauce to go along w/ it. This is what I use:

Regular yellow mustard
Dijon Mustard
Black Pepper (fresh ground is awesome, but not necessary)
Vinegar

I've always eyeballed it, but the closest I can come is to make it 2 parts yellow mustard, 1 part dijon, and vinegar to taste (I like mine to make me pucker...lol, so I add a lot). Then, put in a lot of black pepper and there you go.

And remember you don't have to use my sauce, you can use any kind of sauce with this method. Actually, I have been think of using some Louisianna hot sauce and making a spicy grilled chicken sammich, hmmm my mouth is watering just thinking about it...lol.

Kam

Kam

Awards
  • Established
I like to marinate chicken with a soy, garlic, ginger, herb dressing called SOYAKI (The Trader Joes brand) not the asian brand as that is no bueno.

On the grill it's great, and the stuff seconds as an awsome salad dressing.

I also always have a lemon juiced and sliced with any chichken marinade.