different ways to cook sweet taters??

Head Nurse

Awards
Help!! I need some different ways to cook sweet potatos.....please anyone

Tighe

Tighe

Awards
Super easy way: wash, poke holes in raw sweet potato, microwave until soft throughout, cut the whole thing including skin into chunks, add a little bit of water and sweetner/cinnamon to taste, and mash it all together with a fork. Perfection!

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
If you microwave them.....I prefer yams. One recipe that people seem to like is to cut them in half or into chunks, coat them with spray butter or spray olive oil on them, sprinkle on Splenda and cinnamon and bake in the oven until cooked.

For me......I go with yams in the wave. Mostly because I don't have time to get too elaborate in the kitchen (although I enjoy cooking and good food) and I have the unique ability to be able eat the ass out of a rat and be perfectly happy providing it has the correct macronutrient ratio for me.

Head Nurse

Awards
okay this is good so far....btw I don't use oils or butters of any kind, no salt and no sugar...I know this makes things a bit more difficult.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
No olive oil or spray butter? No Splenda or cinnamon?.....then just eat the bastards like an apple and get on with it :D

Head Nurse

Awards
No olive oil or spray butter? No Splenda or cinnamon?.....then just eat the bastards like an apple and get on with it :D
Can you eat them like an apple??? How do they taste that way??? giggle giggle
And I didn't say anything about no cinnamon. I just can't have oils/butter,salt or suger.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Are you two weeks out or something? I can understand sugar and butter.....but why salt, Splenda or olive oil??? Unless you are almost ready to compete

Head Nurse

Awards
Are you two weeks out or something? I can understand sugar and butter.....but why salt, Splenda or olive oil??? Unless you are almost ready to compete
I am a little farther out then that....sugar subs give me an AWFULL sweet tooth - hence I try to stay away from them....

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Yams are pretty sweet....that's why I like them. They also make my veins bulge out. They are a little higher on the GI than SP's but not too bad. They are considerably more moist too.....you don't even need Splenda on them....just cinnamon. If you use "no-salt" which is potassium, then you have your salt fix as well without the sub-Q water hold or cramping associated with some supps and dehydrating symptoms ov cardio.

Head Nurse

Awards
Yams are pretty sweet....that's why I like them. They also make my veins bulge out. They are a little higher on the GI than SP's but not too bad. They are considerably more moist too.....you don't even need Splenda on them....just cinnamon. If you use "no-salt" which is potassium, then you have your salt fix as well without the sub-Q water hold or cramping associated with some supps and dehydrating symptoms ov cardio.
Oh okay....will give them a try. Not sure about the salt sub as I don't have any cravings for it. This is my first attemp at this - so it is virgin territory for me......

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I just ate my first yam. Man was it good! Microwaved till tender, then margarine and splenda brown sugar.

Can't believe I waited 42 years to try one. Taking another one with me to work tonight!

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Try this for a treat- Microwave a couple, then mash the hell out of them(peeled of course). Add some cinnamon or pumpkin spice with some splenda, mix and chill it in the fridge. Top with fat free cool whip and eat as a healthy desert. Tastes like pumpkin pie(or sweet potatoe pie) and breaks up the monotany of eating em.

Head Nurse

Awards
Try this for a treat- Microwave a couple, then mash the hell out of them(peeled of course). Add some cinnamon or pumpkin spice with some splenda, mix and chill it in the fridge. Top with fat free cool whip and eat as a healthy desert. Tastes like pumpkin pie(or sweet potatoe pie) and breaks up the monotany of eating em.
Sounds to good to be true...hehehe I'll have to try it.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I heard that some people are dead against eating yams when dieting. Anyone else feel that way? I know that they are a little higher GI than SP's.....but I've used them as my staple food for years with no problem. Just wondering what other's thoughts are on this subject.

Head Nurse

Awards
I use yams & sweet potatos as staples now...prior to that the only time I saw SP or yams was on turkeyday....with all that brown sugar and marshmellows baked into a goooy soup with chunks - needless to say I didn't like the taste and never would eat them. But so far baked like a potato or boiled with steamed veggies is down right good......

Head Nurse

Awards
Since I am new to the whole sweet potato/yam thing....what color do you use???? the dark red/orange or the yellow....I use both so want to make.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Usually whichever is on sale, mostly the orange, but the difference in taste this way is negligable.

Never2Cut

Never2Cut

Awards
wash, slice them into little sticks, toss really lightly in olive oil, salt and pepper. This is with sweet potatoes. put on baking sheet and bake till crispy. Like french fried but way better for you.

mab904

mab904

Awards
Sweet Potato Pancakes:)

Ingerdients:
4 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons oatmeal
1 scoop protein powder

Soften sweet potatoes in the microwave for five to eight minutes.
Mash them in a bowl and mix in remaining ingredients.
Form into pancakes and cook on a non-stick pan for two or three minutes until bubbles start to form on top. Flip and continue to cook for an additional two or three minutes until lightly browned.

Makes 3 pancakes.
One has about 90 calories, 10grams protein, 11grams carbs and 1 gram fat.

akp2004

Awards
Re: One of my favorite dishes...

AKP's Ultimate Meat and Potatoes Dish -

Step 1:
Cut sweet potatoes into wedges or coins. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Lay aluminum foil on a baking dish or directly onto a cooking rack. Spray the foil with PAM/cooking spray. arrange sweet potatoes on foil - sprinkle seasonings of choice on them, Spraying them with PAM or brushed with oil will make them brown up well.

Step 2: Bake at 425 degrees until soft, and browned on the outside. Can be as fast as 20-25 min to 45 min depending on the thickness of your cuts. You want them thick enough to combine crispyness with the soft/silky baked potato mouthfeel. Too thin and they'll just be crispy. Too fat and they'll take forever to cook.

Personally, I slice them into medallions 1/3 inch thick, spray with PAM, and sprinkle them with Paul Prudomme blackened redfish, or salt/pepper.

Step 3: While the Sweet Potatoes are cooking, brown some lean ground beef, or lean turkey. If you can find it, lean buffalo is the best. Season with salt/pepper, garlic, onions, etc.. Just trying to make browned ground meat.

Step 4 throw the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. When the meat is browned fully and cooked through, Add the meat to the potatoes, and toss.

depending on your diet needs, you will vary how much meat to potatoes in your recipe.

Eat with lo-sugar ketchup, and prepare to be amazed....

This dish is particularly good the next day, because the juices from the meat mix in with the sweet potatoes.

I've serves this simple dish to many friends and family and they consistently are surprised by how good the meat taste goes with the sweet potatoes, and it all blends in well

I really do like using the Paul Prudomme Blackened Redfish Magic seasoning for this dish - just seems to work better than any other spice combo for this one.

Enjoy!

:burger:

Lando33

Lando33

Awards
Simple, hands off way:

Tastes like candy, no joke. okay maybe not exactly like candy but you get the idea.

Line oven rack with a sheet of aluminum foil. Renolyds Release is my favorite, a little more pricey but worth it.

Place in oven, on foil at 350 degrees. at about 45 minutes into the bake, poke holes straight down the potato with a fork. Let potatoes bake for at least 1 1/2 hours. Even longer if you like them sweeter. The natural sugars will carmelize and ooze out of the potato.

Then, take em out, and devour them. Sky is the limit from here on, but they are great by themselves with no fixins at all.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sweet Potato Pancakes:)

Ingerdients:
4 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons oatmeal
1 scoop protein powder

Soften sweet potatoes in the microwave for five to eight minutes.
Mash them in a bowl and mix in remaining ingredients.
Form into pancakes and cook on a non-stick pan for two or three minutes until bubbles start to form on top. Flip and continue to cook for an additional two or three minutes until lightly browned.

Makes 3 pancakes.
One has about 90 calories, 10grams protein, 11grams carbs and 1 gram fat.
mmmm yummy I have to try these tomorrow. Sound pretty damn tasty.