how do you prepare salmon?

iwinulose2981

Awards
pretty simple question. just picked up 2 fat salmon fillets and wondering what the healthiest way to cook it is. the only fish ive made in the past was orange roughy which i just put in a frying pan with oil.

is it possible to forman up the salmon? if so do i put any oil or seasoning on it? if so which ones.

thanks for any advice...not used to cooking fish.

RedSwan78

Board Supporter
Awards
Well there's a few different ways, but what I usually do, is bake/broil it in the oven. Put it on a pan, rub EVOO overtop of it, sprinkle with some rosemary and bake/broil it at around 375-400 degrees (I say "bake/broil" because it's right under the broiling temperature of a stove really) for about 9 to 13 minutes depending on the thickness. Cook it hot and fast so it doesn't dry out. Alternatively, you could put some kind of marinade overtop of it, like a lemon-ish marinade. Salmon is good :) Of course, the fats in the salmon are healthy for you as well. Enjoy!

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:cheers: First and most importantly is it wild or farmed? If its farmed throw it in the trash! Only kidding but seriously farmed fish is full of all kinds of broad spectrum antibiotics coloring additives and it is incredibly environmentally dirty to raise salmon in a pen plus it has hurt the wild salmon fisheries dramatically, Enough ranting, as to cooking it the easiest way to cook salmon or really any fish is to lay it on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to fold over the fish and crimp all the edges together to seal the fish in, lay it on a baking sheet and place in the oven at 375 for about 10 minutes per inch of thickness of the fillet. It will cook for a few more minutes after you pull it out. Season prior to sealing the foil with whatever you like, lemon pepper, dill, etc. Crack a ggod IPA craft brewed beer and enjoy.

hannainnc

Board Supporter
Awards
I've cooked Salmon on the George Foreman grill. Just make sure not to cook it too long because it will dry up. I end up cooking things for too long on that grill.

Usually I put the salmon on a foil lined baking pan, sprinkle some Cajun seasoning on it and bake it at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Also if it somewhat frozen, don't thaw it all the way before you put it in the oven to bake it. Leave it a bit frozen...my salmon comes out better when I do this.

Another good way is to marinade it in Terriyaki and cook it. That's good too, but I prefer the cajun seasoning with a few squirts of lemon.

iwinulose2981

Awards
thanks for the responses guys. ill def try those with my next fillets.

what i ended up doing is seasoning the fillets with lemon pepper and throwing it on the forman.....to keep it somewhat moist i poured lemon juice over it every 2-3 minutes.

it worked pretty good.....when i took it off the grill the only thing that came off was the meat...the scales stayed stuck to the griddle plate.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
marinate with lime juice & garlic, grill with a few smoking chips of choice. ummmwa!

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what's an oven? :toofunny:

marinate with lemon juice and some EVOO, then spread a thin layer of fat free mayo over it to seal in the juices and then cook on the george forman or grill it.
It comes out DELICIOUS!

iwinulose2981

Awards
what's an oven? :toofunny:

marinate with lemon juice and some EVOO, then spread a thin layer of fat free mayo over it to seal in the juices and then cook on the george forman or grill it.
It comes out DELICIOUS!
mayo huh? sounds pretty interesting. does it make the fish tangy?

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
tangy? no i don't think so. you should try it out, because i hate cooking in the oven, and it comes out just as good on the foreman.

goyard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
was just going too ask this same question, thanks again fellows. My wife is a wonderful cook but not a fish eater and when i asked her too cook me some, she looked at me like i was crazy

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Try this one. Spray or grease a pan with olive oil or evo. Crush walnuts and almonds in a baggie to a very fine consistency. Dip the salmon in sugar free maple syrup and the roll in nuts. Drizzle a bit more on the top. Put in oven on low and cook till done. Its very very good.

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cooking salmon on Alder grilling planks is a great way to go as well, very classy if your having guests.

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
forgot this earlier, "what to do with the left over salmon?" pull all the bones out and mix it up just as you would tuna, we always cook 2 fillets and do this with whats left makes great lunches and no nasty tuna smell.