Chicken tenders.Yup thats right..(pics inside)

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well here is a little recipe i threw together this past weekend. Not sure if it has ever been posted on here but here goes. You can make tenders or just patties.

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Bagels(i like thomas)
Eggs
Chicken breast

Ok what i did was take whole wheat bagels and put them on a baking sheet in the center of the oven at 200 deg. Leave them in there for 2-3hrs or until completly dehydrated. Takes awhile but very little effort.

Take the bagels and put them into a small food chopper and make bread crumbs.

Cut chicken into strips, or leave in patties.

Crack and beat and egg into a bowl(i am sure you could use a white also) I used a whole egg as so little egg is left on the chicken, you could prob make 3lbs off one egg.

Put some bread crumbs in another bowl.

Dip chicken in egg and remove letting the excess drip off, and put into the bread crumbs, now cover chicken with bread crumbs trying to cover all of it.

Put breaded chicken on baking sheet(i coated mine with cooking spray)

Bake at 425 for 15 min depending on thickness.

With 2 bagels i breaded almost 5 lbs of chicken so the amount of carbs added is very trivial. I am sure you could also add fat free mozz cheese, and sauce for chicken parm. The possabilities are endless!

It seems involved but it takes all of 15 min to make one you have bread crumbs, and bread crumbs all you do is let them sit. I made a bunch of bread crumbs at once so i have them for a while. Mabey you can buy them, but i was home and felt adventurous.LOL

Enjoy!
D

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can't wait till my show is over :food: :burger:

Cold

Awards
Sounds good! I've done similiar recipes using crispix, oatmeal, cornmeal, and Fiber one as a breading. All of them taste awesome. Have you tried adding any seasonings to your breading?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sounds good! I've done similiar recipes using crispix, oatmeal, cornmeal, and Fiber one as a breading. All of them taste awesome. Have you tried adding any seasonings to your breading?
Yea i did one batch with italian seasoning, it was really good. I assume you could make meat balls with 96% lean GB, or Ground turkey. I am going to try that next.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
There is Jennie-O 99% Lean ground turkey. It is $$$, like 4-5$ per lb, but definitely a good addition if you can afford it. I used to make Whole wheat pasta with low fat mozzarrella mixed into Classico (lowest sugar out there) Red Sauce with Lean Ground Turkey. This meal kicks ass. I would like to come up with something to boost the fiber content.

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i would say you can add in garlic powder, parsley and basil into the bread crumbs to make it even tastier.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i would say you can add in garlic powder, parsley and basil into the bread crumbs to make it even tastier.
Yea that is basically what italian seasoning is.

Beo- Add broccoli to the pasta. I used to saute chiken pieces in a pan, then saute garlic in a tbl spoon of flax seed oil, then add broccoli in it,when it was nice and cooked i would mix in chicken pieces and whole wheat pasta. That is another good meal.

I had my breded chicken breast on a whole wheat bun with fat free mayo, a piece of romain lettuce, and FF American cheese for lunch. MMMMM

Once you have the chicken breaded the possabilites are seriously endless!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Damn those things look good. I"m gonna have to make me some of those.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What's the nutrient breakdown on those bad boys?
Guess it would depend on how much chicken you use and what type of bagel and how much of that you use as well as how much egg you use to coat the chicken.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guess it would depend on how much chicken you use and what type of bagel and how much of that you use as well as how much egg you use to coat the chicken.
Pretty much but it is pretty trivial on all accounts. An egg has 4.5g of fat and 1 egg will do say 1lb(even though it can do almost 2) That would be about 1.1g of fat for 4oz serving. There are about 50g of carbs ina bagel if i had to guess a half a bagel would do a lb(again probally more then a lb) So about 6 g of carbs per 4oz. It is such a trivial amount of anyting added to the chicken breast really.

D-

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
to make these even tastier marinade your chicken in hot sauce for 30 minutes before dredging.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I made some of these this past weekend.

Instead of bread/bagel I used oats and ground them up in my blender.

I then took it a step further and baked them on my weber grill (put the strips on a cooking sheet and used olive oil to keep the strips from sticking).

Damn, they came out good. Took a full hour to cook them but it was worth it.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I made these tonight and they are great. Definately going into the meal rotation :thumbsup:

93cobra

Board Supporter
Awards
There is a brand of Chicken called Smart Chicken and it is the best tasting chicken I have found so far. It is not pumped full of sodium like Tyson and others. It is a bit more but is definitely worth it. They also have just the tenderloins which are perfect for this recipe.

jdahlum

Board Supporter
Awards
Yep. We buy the Smart Chicken as well. They advertise it as being "Air-Chilled and Hormone-Antibiotic free. Good stuff!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Is it in the freezer section, or the fresh meat section?

93cobra

Board Supporter
Awards
It is in the fresh meat section. It is usually next to the Tyson chicken. I shop at Hy-Vee but I know Schnucks, Gerbe's, Krogers and sometimes Wal-Mart carry it.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Add some paprika, tumeric, crushed cayan pepper, garlic, and maybe even a pinch of onion powder to the breadcrumbs, and you'll have an awesome spicy curry-flavored breading.

Virtually no calories added too. In fact, with the cayan, you'll kick up your fat burning slightly.

93cobra

Board Supporter
Awards
My favorite flavor of bread crumbs are the Progresso Italian. Just the right amount of seasoning.

Jwillbc55

Awards
Hmmm that FiberOne idea might be the smartest thing I've ever heard.

VitaminT

Awards
Bagels are awesome for breadding. You can top the finished product with some (preferably) homemade tomato sauce and fresh mozarella cheese to make it a bit Italian. Personally I haven't tried baking them, I just pan-fry with olive oil.

mrmoose63

mrmoose63

Awards
If you're looking for a low carb verison of this you can gring up some almond (almond meal) and use it for the breading... its freakin TASTY!

-MOose

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Made some for the whole familiy last night. Came out great....added a pinch of low sodium salt to the bread crumbs and some garlic and onion powder. Came out awesome.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
When I was on the Atkins diet I'd grind up the spicy pork rinds for breading. Tastes great.

pist

Awards
Yea these are awesome, one of my favorite recipes.

Unfortunately I've been making them with whole grain bread and found that if you make large helpings and just try to keep it in the fridge, some mold will grow in only a few days... It only appears on the bottom of the tenders (I'm assuming because there's the most moisture there).

I think I'm going to try vacuum-sealing and see if it helps. Any other suggestions?

Live4this13

Awards
nice, is the cooking time for thawed or frozen chicken? I have the frozen chicken in the big bags

Meljonesen

Awards
Made them for dinner tonight. Simply the best! Thanks for the tip. :goodpost:

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OH damn, I'm going to hunt you down, break into your house then politely ask you if it wouldn't be much trouble to make me a couple

They look damn good!

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Man this is old..lol I am still eating these.

peekabo105

Awards
i made something similar today and they were bomb. i didn't have wheat bagels but wanted to try this so i used a garlic and herd breading that one of my roomates had. i used a cups worth and that has 6g of fat, 16g of protein, and 80g of carb. had a lot of breading left over so i know how much i ate was a lot less than that, but still it was good. gonna try the wheat bagel thing soon.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
wanted to try this tonight but it's a little too late to make bread crizzumb. I wish I had some wheat bread crumb ready to go. good recipe though!

dommer

Banned
Awards
Well here is a little recipe i threw together this past weekend. Not sure if it has ever been posted on here but here goes. You can make tenders or just patties.

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Bagels(i like thomas)
Eggs
Chicken breast

Ok what i did was take whole wheat bagels and put them on a baking sheet in the center of the oven at 200 deg. Leave them in there for 2-3hrs or until completly dehydrated. Takes awhile but very little effort.

Take the bagels and put them into a small food chopper and make bread crumbs.

Cut chicken into strips, or leave in patties.

Crack and beat and egg into a bowl(i am sure you could use a white also) I used a whole egg as so little egg is left on the chicken, you could prob make 3lbs off one egg.

Put some bread crumbs in another bowl.

Dip chicken in egg and remove letting the excess drip off, and put into the bread crumbs, now cover chicken with bread crumbs trying to cover all of it.

Put breaded chicken on baking sheet(i coated mine with cooking spray)

Bake at 425 for 15 min depending on thickness.

With 2 bagels i breaded almost 5 lbs of chicken so the amount of carbs added is very trivial. I am sure you could also add fat free mozz cheese, and sauce for chicken parm. The possabilities are endless!

It seems involved but it takes all of 15 min to make one you have bread crumbs, and bread crumbs all you do is let them sit. I made a bunch of bread crumbs at once so i have them for a while. Mabey you can buy them, but i was home and felt adventurous.LOL

Enjoy!
D
i do this every sunday make 5-6lbs of chicken cutlets i find that if you season the bread crumbs and add a little bit of Parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs it gives a ton more flavor also try marinating the chicken before breading it

i either do mine on a baking sheet with some evoo drizzle a lite amount on the chicken helps to keep it from drying out or ive done them on a foreman grill to the semi burnt flavor from the Parmesan cheese really changes the texture and flavor a good bit make sure you spray the hell out of the foreman grill if you go that direction mine kept sticking till i sprayed the **** out of it

Phillymuscle

Awards
I dont know if this is better or worse but i worked worked in catering for a few year. When we made the chicken cutlet we first dipped them in flour with a pinch of salt & white pepper, then into the eggs that were mixed just more than a few table spoons of either milk or water (water being the cheaper way out), then breaded. Cooked the same way. Best cutlets ever

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dont know if this is better or worse but i worked worked in catering for a few year. When we made the chicken cutlet we first dipped them in flour with a pinch of salt & white pepper, then into the eggs that were mixed just more than a few table spoons of either milk or water (water being the cheaper way out), then breaded. Cooked the same way. Best cutlets ever
Depending on ones dietary needs they could certainly do that.. Maybe with some whole wheat flour, or something..

This recipe was for the BARE MINIMUM, in making chicken breast edible for me, on a fairly low cal diet. I wanted the LEAST amount of carbs possible.

I mean if i didn't care about cals, i would give them a flour bath like you said, then bread them in white bread crumbs, and fry them in EVOO..lol:food:

chefdman

Awards
chicken tenders

Depending on ones dietary needs they could certainly do that.. Maybe with some whole wheat flour, or something..

This recipe was for the BARE MINIMUM, in making chicken breast edible for me, on a fairly low cal diet. I wanted the LEAST amount of carbs possible.

I mean if i didn't care about cals, i would give them a flour bath like you said, then bread them in white bread crumbs, and fry them in EVOO..lol:food:
another tasty way is dip them in butter milk then in to the flour of you choice as this will give them a flakey crust :food:

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I can't wait to try cooking up a batch of these....impresiv I would cyber do you hardcore if it wasn't for the negative social stigma attached to man on man e-love.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've made these a few times the past couple weeks and can't believe how easy it is. Trying to figure out a way to freeze them; I might broil them and then put it in bags.