Turkey Chili topped turkey chili burgers

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I took this one from foodnetwork.com from Racheal Ray's show 30 minute meals. I would think Beef can be sub'd for the turkey.

1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick Montreal Seasoning)
1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
2 to 2 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast, 2 packages
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
1 cup tomato sauce, 1 (8-ounce) can
1 red bell pepper, 1/4 pepper finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, divided
2 tablespoons hot sauce, divided
1/3 pound, 6-ounce chunk, Cheddar or smoked Cheddar cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
Coarse black pepper
1/4 cup curly parsley, a couple of handfuls of leaves, finely chopped
4 soft burger rolls

Preheat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine chili powder, cumin and grill seasoning in a small bowl. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan, to a skillet and half of the turkey. Break up the turkey with the back of a wooded spoon. Season the turkey with half of the spice mixture. Break up and brown turkey a couple of minutes, then add half of the finely chopped onion and cook another couple of minutes. When onions are translucent, add Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce, adjust seasonings and simmer the chili sauce over low heat until ready to serve.

While chili sauce is working, make the burgers. Place the remaining turkey in a bowl and add the remaining spice mixture, half of the remaining chopped onions, the 1/4 red bell pepper that's chopped, 2 cloves of chopped garlic and about a tablespoon of hot sauce. Combine the chili burger mixture and incorporate the diced cheese. Form 4 (1-inch thick) patties. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan, then the burgers. Cook the burgers 6 minutes on each side. Separate burger rolls. Pile chili-cheese burgers on the bun bottoms. Top with scoops of chili sauce and a spoonful of the remaining finely chopped raw onions. Set bun tops in place.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Nice recipe......I may have to try that this weekend. On a side note I found a cheese that is awesome. I often use the fat free slices or shred in things but honestly its far from the taste of cheese lol....I found a chunk cheddar by Cabot that is 75% reduced fat. It only has like 1.5 gm of fat per serving and it tastes and melts great!!

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i figured since it' a pretty small amount of cheese put into a large amount of very very lean meat the fat content from the cheese would be too bad, but the reduced fat cheeses would be more ideal if someone was to use this during a cut.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Nice recipe......I may have to try that this weekend. On a side note I found a cheese that is awesome. I often use the fat free slices or shred in things but honestly its far from the taste of cheese lol....I found a chunk cheddar by Cabot that is 75% reduced fat. It only has like 1.5 gm of fat per serving and it tastes and melts great!!
their 50% fat free is only 4 or 5 grams and damn tasty too!

I'll have to look for the chunk.

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just made this for my brother and he loved it, he said it was very filling. The recipe is really really easy to put together too.