Cauliflower Crust Low Fat and Carb Healthy Pizza

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I know.....it sounds weird. But more often than not "weird" is a symptom of "awesome".

One head of cauliflower into the food processor (remove most of the stem so it's florets for the majority).
Turns into a white powder mix (not surprisingly)
Microwave it for 7-8 mins in a bowl
Add 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of basil, 1 teaspoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Mix it up, spread on the pregreased pizza pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 mins (outside edges should be browning, middle fairly cooked)
Pizza sauce
1lb of lean burger crumbled up (precooked while crust is baking)
2 cups of low fat mozzarella cheese
(add whatever else you want, veggies preferably to keep the ratios fairly in check)

Broil on top rack for 5 mins

Tellin' ya, it's boss.

jjobe6

jjobe6

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good. Gonna give it a try. Got any more low carb ideas?

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
Yea, it's good as long as you spread the cauliflower thin, it'll crisp. Too think and it stays mush. Good stuff for the carb conscious, though.

TexasGuy

Awards
Trying this over the weekend. Does the crust actually taste like crust?

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
Yes, if it crisps up (must be thin), it will taste like real crust.

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
Depends on how hungry you are, the key is not letting the crust get too thick. You won't have a problem getting the edges to crisp, it's the middle. If the crust is too thick, it will be soggy and you'll have to eat it with a fork. It'll still taste good, but might be wet. You should be able to get any diameter you like. If you have an air bake pan or one with holes, use it.

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
FYI, you can use the excess cauliflower and treat it like rice, if you are in to that.

TexasGuy

Awards
Depends on how hungry you are, the key is not letting the crust get too thick. You won't have a problem getting the edges to crisp, it's the middle. If the crust is too thick, it will be soggy and you'll have to eat it with a fork. It'll still taste good, but might be wet. You should be able to get any diameter you like. If you have an air bake pan or one with holes, use it.
I apologize if my question wasn't clear. How thick is too thick? If I grind up a head of cauliflower, how far should I spread it to achieve the correct depth?

I don't want to burn it but definitely don't want mushy cauliflower for pizza.

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
I'd say anything over an inch is too thick, I would go for half inch. Just enough to keep it together.

theOCdude

theOCdude

Awards
Whoa, never would have thought about this I'm going to try this when I'm craving a pizza.

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
It's good stuff for those watching carbs and craving a pizza.