Turkey Bread

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Short Cut: I make the bread from scratch (see below). If you are afraid to try it that way, go to the freezer section at the grocery store and buy a loaf of frozen bread dough (usually comes in a package of 2 -- may only need 1 but wouldn't hurt to thaw both just in case). Plan ahead. Frozen dough take a long time to thaw!! Read and Follow package directions for dethawing and letting it rise.

Here's what you'll need for the filling. You can make it a day in advance and keep in refrigerator until you are ready to use:

Ingredients:
1 package of ground turkey cooked/crumbled,
1 1/2 pound finely shredded mozarella cheese (pkg pre-shredded easiest);
1 cup chopped green olives;
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 scallions finely chopped;
3 tablespoons chopped parsley;
2 fresh jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons of oil. (use what is convenient. I usually throw in chopped black olives. Sometimes I don't have parsely, Sometimes I don't have onions or scallions. -- whatever!)

In a separate bowl, break one egg and stir/beat with fork. Set aside.

Now, back to that bread dough. Once it rises, do the following:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Punch down dough and knead a couple of times. Cut into 4 pieces Take a piece and roll out into a 10 x 12 rectangle Brush beaten egg around the edge Spread 1/4 filling onto the rectangle -- to about 1/2 inch from the edge. Roll up jelly roll style. Seal seams with egg and pinch. Do the same with the rest of the dough. You'll end up with 4 rolls. Put the rolls on a cookie sheet, seam down. Bake 25 minutes or until light brown.

Long method: Yeast: Mix 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees) and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Sprinkle 1 envelope active dry yeast on top (check expiration date). Let sit for 5-10 minutes until it looks bubbly.

Flour: Mix 3 1/2 cups of flour (I use wheat flour) with 1 tablespoon of salt. Add 3/4 cup of warm water and yeast mixture. Mix all together. If too sticky add a little more flour (1/2 cup). Knead 7-10 minutes. Transfer to oiled bowl, spray top with pam, cover and let rise until double (in a warm place). Takes 2-3 hrs. When ready, punch dough down and knead a couple of times. Then divide into 4 pieces and follow direction above.

It's pretty much a calzone. You can use ground beef, turkey, vegetarian sausage..whatever. I'll edit the post with a pic later once it's done. Like I said-it'll make 4 good sized rolls filled with protein that you can snack on all weekend.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Pics

Depending on how you decide to make it it'll get ya roughly 70g carbs and 30g protein per roll. Low fat. Not bad if you're bulking. I forgot to roll it pinwheel style..oh well

Attachments