Baked Avocado Fries

SinOrSlim

Banned
Awards

Everyone loves french fries but unfortunately that’s one crunch to stay away from when trying to maintain a healthy and fit lifestyle. Here’s a recipe to help satisfy your craving! Avocados are a superfood! They are packed with antioxidants, protein ad fiber and are a great source of unsaturated fats (the good ones)! They are great for curbing your appetite and aid in weight loss because the fats keep you feeling full and help you stray away from sweets later on.

Warning: These fries ARE ADDICTING and avocado’s are not necessarily a low calorie food so I recommend only making one serving (1/4 avocado) per batch so that you’re not tempted to go overboard! In this recipe I dip the avocado slices in an egg but I have also previously used Safflower oil instead of an egg and the results are just as great!

Ingredients:
1/4 Avocado
1 Egg
Basil
Parsley
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Pepper
*Note: I didn’t really measure out the seasonings. I just pretty much started throwing a little of each together until it was to my preference.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2. Cut the avocado into thin slices

3. In a bowl, beat the egg and add seasonings to your own taste

4. Dip the cut avocado slices in the egg mixture and place onto a greased aluminum foil lined cookie sheet

5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, let cool, and enjoy!

For more daily low carb and keto recipes check out Low Carb, Keto , Paleo Diet Recipes | Nutrition Tips !

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Marry me!

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
These look good

SinOrSlim

Banned
Awards
They are! Let me know if you decide to try them and what seasonings you use! =)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PLZ dont ever leave this site! U are a God send

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
Man you throw some hot sauce on these bad boys and it go time.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
Thank god I live on an avocado ranch!! I'll be making these tonight.

2020Wellness

Awards
This is a new one for me! Gotta give this a shot in the near future. Simple and tasty I'm betting.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
will be trying these out tonight or tomorrow!

very interested to see if they actually crisp up at all

SinOrSlim

Banned
Awards
Yup 425 degrees. The thinner you slice them, the crispier they come out!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Loved them too! I screwed up and made them too thick and as a result, when I dipped them into the egg, the egg "held too much egg" and they were too "eggy" LOL

Still - they DO taste like fries and liked them even though they were ruined :p

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
REP BUTTON BROKE!!! :( Sad times

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
sinorslim you come up with some interesting recipies. i tried this one tonight and it wasnt my cup of tea. the texture and flavor werent what i was expecting but i still ate them...maybe my expectations were too high.

christine123

christine123

Banned
Awards
Nice!

Nice avocado recipe.

I'll try it. :)

ChrisSurf

Awards
sinorslim you come up with some interesting recipies. i tried this one tonight and it wasnt my cup of tea. the texture and flavor werent what i was expecting but i still ate them...maybe my expectations were too high.
Yeh I gotta agree, I love avacado's, but this didn't taste too good especially with the egg on it which just taste too weird for me. I tried it a few times after, w/o egg's, but baking avacados doesn't do it for me lol. I'll stick to eating them fresh and cold haha. The texture too is weird, I was expecting something like, french fries.

I'll stick to my mandolin slicer and potatoes, baking fries that taste just like five guys mmm

jaymode

Awards
  • Established
Yeh I gotta agree, I love avacado's, but this didn't taste too good especially with the egg on it which just taste too weird for me. I tried it a few times after, w/o egg's, but baking avacados doesn't do it for me lol. I'll stick to eating them fresh and cold haha. The texture too is weird, I was expecting something like, french fries.

I'll stick to my mandolin slicer and potatoes, baking fries that taste just like five guys mmm
I have been thinking about doing something like this: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/avocado-fries-10000001886172/

but instead of frying them, I would bake them. Might come out with a crispier taste (definitely more carbs but that is not a problem for me).

I also saw that On The Border has Avocado Fries as an Appetizer: http://www.foodspotting.com/reviews/609281

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure you guys made these right (or had the right expectations). As these are *baked* avocado fries, you should expect them to taste more like potato wedges, which are also baked. Mine didn't come out as crispy as the crispiest potato wedges, but they were still crispy, and tasted ... like potatoes! It was weird. The way my recipe went is I used 2 eggs vs. one, and 2 avocados.

Well to be honest, I didn't actually make the fries, my girl did. So I don't remember anything else besides 2 avos and 2 eggs =p

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
mmm.. that looks good.. love avocados ...regular avocados though aren't packed with protein.. .. **** looks good i might have to give this a try

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
what kind of avocado is that? the ones i see in the store are californian and look like this and one fourth isn't going to cut it.

avocados-2.jpg

a medium one of these is said to have about 240 calories. 21g fat, 3-4g protein, 12gcarbs but 9grams of fiber

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alex, I just slice up a whole avocado (same species as in your picture) and use that. Dip in the egg, brush with some oil and salt and you're GTG!
Yup yup

ChrisSurf

Awards
I have been thinking about doing something like this: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/avocado-fries-10000001886172/

but instead of frying them, I would bake them. Might come out with a crispier taste (definitely more carbs but that is not a problem for me).
That looks good, I think my thing was the mixture of egg with avocado just tasted too odd to me, but I may try that version. I tried w/o egg and it was mehhh, gf didn't care for it either. I make some awesome baked fries using potatoes and a seasoning mix similar to five guys... friggen fries come out of the oven tasting almost exactly like Five Guys with the curry seasoning.

For those asking about which avocado's I generally buy the Hass ones vs the larger ones. As I love slicing them up and adding to burgers or turkey.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
i made them last night, they totally turned out like ****.. obviously i still ate them

probably cause i didn't use greased foil but greased pan and it stuck

probably cause i used to much egg as there was excess in the pan

probably cause i hacked up the avocado in 20 different uneven shapes

probably cooked it longer than needed

i may do it again.. but, this thread has turned me on to eating more avocados.. i'm thinking at least 3 whole ones a week.. 9 grams of fiber, 0 sugar and only 3 net carbs.. good stuff

jaymode

Awards
  • Established

I also saw that On The Border has Avocado Fries as an Appetizer: http://www.foodspotting.com/reviews/609281
I made these again tonight but coated them in panko bread crumbs after dipping the pieces in egg. I liked them a lot more this way.

Originate

Awards
The one she posted is often called a Florida avocado, they are lower in fat than the hass variety you posted.
what kind of avocado is that? the ones i see in the store are californian and look like this and one fourth isn't going to cut it.

View attachment 51873
a medium one of these is said to have about 240 calories. 21g fat, 3-4g protein, 12gcarbs but 9grams of fiber

f1ghter33

Awards
awsome recipe !!