The Better Protein Bars Recipe Thread!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All right, kids, let's see those ideas and recipes for making the most delicious and/or healthy protein bars you've got!

The directions on the Better Protein Bars are pretty straight forward, simple, and make amazing tasting protein bars. However, there are still different ways we can all whip these up to meet specific macro requirements or different taste bud preferences, too.

The only flavor I've still tried (because I love it so much lol) is the sour apple. I just whipped up another batch last night, and let me tell you what I did different from previous times. I previously only used half the amount of honey that is called for in order to cut down the sugar content a bit. However, while my body is in a state of being screwed up (lol), I'm going to enjoy taste a little more, so I went with the full 3/4 Cup of honey. I added a bit more water, too - probably double the amount called for. After I got it mixed up in the bowl to a texture I liked (using a butter knife), I had a couple bites just to make sure it tasted up to par (delicious) and then, rather than scoop it into the square container I use to cut the bars up, I left it in the bowl and stuck it in the refrigerator. Yep, I'm just going to munch on a bit here and there that way lol. And it's super delicious.

What I've found amazing in the past, too, is using just a bit of sugar free or fat free (your call) Cool Whip to dip the protein bars in afterward - gives an amazing synergistic taste with the sour apple.

I've got some original peanut butter that I'll fix over the weekend. I may experiment with some other options when making them.

I've seen some great ideas in other threads discussing using agents to thicken, cut down on calories, etc. Let's see those all here - in one location for users to make the most out of their Better Protein Bars :yumyum:

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I substituted 1:1 Agave Nectar in place of honey for Chocolate Raspberry bars. They taste great! In fact, I might just go get one in a minute!

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really like the idea a guy had.. Made the Protein balls with the sour apple. Looked really good. His thread is up here somewhere.

I suppose we could post all the recipes Nate has posted over at NTBM too? There's a bunch!

I like to basically just mix em as the directions say. If I'm bulking I will add extra PB to them for more calories. Maybe extra honey too ;)

I also like to use little to no water. I've found even a 1/4 is too much sometimes they turn out a bit mushy...

ChrisSurf

Awards
Are there "crunchy" (baked or none baked) recipes for them? I've read about them in the past, but I've always made my own... however kinda sick of the soft/gooey consistency. If only there was a way to get home made bars to be like the consistency of store bought lol.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are there "crunchy" (baked or none baked) recipes for them? I've read about them in the past, but I've always made my own... however kinda sick of the soft/gooey consistency. If only there was a way to get home made bars to be like the consistency of store bought lol.
Good question.

I would think there are ways to do this. Possibly crunchy natural peanut butter for one, or maybe peanuts, or other nuts. I would think some other items could provide that consistency, but I'm not the most adventurous one in the kitchen, so hopefully someone else can add to this :)

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
what ive done a few times is add psyllium husk(fiber) to the mixture before putting it in the fridge to make them less gooey. also get the extra fiber that way to.

ChrisSurf

Awards
what ive done a few times is add psyllium husk(fiber) to the mixture before putting it in the fridge to make them less gooey. also get the extra fiber that way to.
Never thought of that, cool. Sure that will help others as plenty of people have posted on trying to get their bars to be like the store bought ones. I've tried adding nuts crushed etc, but the bars still had that gooey texture. Never thought of adding fiber.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haven't tried baking them, but I'll have to try it out on a bar to see. I only have 1 more chocolate raspberry bar left, so I'll have to try it on the chocolate banana batch I make next.

Probably add less water too, and I may add either Fitness Fiber or Chia Seed.

Good ideas!

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
peanut butter moon reduced calorie/sugar/carb/fat

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free maple syrup,and replace smart balance peanut butter with natural reduced fat peanut butter

Ingredients
1. pack better protein bars peanut butter moon flavor.
1 cup sugar free maple syrup
1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter
1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free maple sugar. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

1.If after mixing the bars they seem like they are not coming together. Just add a little water and mix again. If you like you can add extra syrup. This will change the macros of the bars but not by much..

2.Its best to mix by hand and just add a little water if they need more moisture. This will not change the taste of the bars or the macros of them ether.

3.You can heat peanut butter for 30 seconds in the microwave before placing it in the bowl. For some this allows them to mix with a spoon and not there hands. This also may help blend the ingredients better.

Nutrition facts

Nutrition facts for original recipe.
calories 275
calories from fat 97
total fat 11g
saturated fats 2g
trans fat 0g
cholesterol 40mg
sodium 106g
total carbohydrates 21g
dietary fiber 3g
sugar 7g
protein 24g

In this recipe we have a reduced fat flavor that is lighter and less filling. The maple syrup gives it a less sugary flavor with a hint of maple.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Better protein bar chocolate almond (chip)

This recipe is made using better protein bars (peanut butter moon) original protein bar pack.

Ingredients
1 better protein bars peanut butter moon protein pack
1 cup all natural almond butter
3/4 cup honey
7 table spoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar free chocolate chips (optional)

1. Pour protein pack into large mixing bowl. 2,add in cocoa powder,
chocolate chips (optional) and mix lightly. 3, add almond butter, and honey. 4, With hands mix well till smooth like fudge. 5,place in deep backing dish and spread out evenly. 6, let set in fridge for 30 mins and then cut into 12 evenly sized bars.

Nutrition facts with out chocolate chips

calories 344
calories from fat 126
total fat 14g
saturated fat 2g
trans fat 0
cholesterol 0
sodium 2mg
total carbohydrates 36
Dietary fiber 5g
sugar 24g
protein 23g

Nutrition facts with chocolate chips
calories 431
calories from fat 176
total fat 19g
saturated fat 6g
trans fat 0g
cholesterol 0g
sodium 2mg
total carbohydrates 48g
Dietary fiber 6g
sugar 24g
protein 23g

Tips****
1.If after mixing the bars they seem like they are not coming together. Just add a a little water and mix again. If you like you can add extra honey but this will change the macros of the bars but not by much..

2.Its best to mix by hand and just add a little water if they need more moisture. This will not change the taste of the bars or the macros of them ether.

3.You can heat up the honey and the Almond butter for 30 seconds each in the microwave before placing them in the bowl. For some this allows them to mix with a spoon and not there hands. This also may help blend the ingredients better.

This recipe has a much different flavor then the original recipe. The almond butter gives it a rich robust flavor, and the cocoa ads a lovely chocolate kick. Adding in the chocolate chips makes them all the more fun to eat and delivers a crunchy chocolate punch with every bite.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanut butter moon reduced sugar reduced fat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBSN5QsShXo

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free imitation honey,and replace smart balance peanut butter with natural reduced fat peanut butter

Ingredients
1 cup sugar free imitation honey
1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter
1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup natural reduced fat peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free imitation honey. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

1.If after mixing the bars they seem like they are not coming together. Just add a little water and mix again. If you like you can add extra syrup. This will change the macros of the bars but not by much..

3.You can heat peanut butter for 30 seconds in the microwave before placing it in the bowl. For some this allows them to mix with a spoon and not there hands. This also may help blend the ingredients better.

Nutrition facts

calories 319
total fat 11g
saturated fats 2
trans fat 0
cholesterol 40mg
sodium 106mg
total carbohydrates 36g
dietary fiber 3g
sugar 7
protein 24g

In this recipe you can clearly taste the reduced fat from the original recipe. They taste lighter and less filling and yet the great flavor is still in tact. This recipe has fewer calories,less fat and less sugar then the original recipe. My son told me he enjoys this recipe over the original.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanut butter moon low sugar

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free imitation honey .

Ingredients
1 cup sugar free imitation honey
1 cup smart balance PB

1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup smart balance peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free imitation honey. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

Nutrition facts

calories 394
total fat 179 (95% omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids)
saturated fats 4
trans fat 0
cholesterol 40mg
sodium 135mg
total carbohydrates 34g
dietary fiber 4g
sugar 7g
protein 26g

This taste almost exactly like the original recipe. The amount of overall carbohydrates for this recipe do not change much from the original recipe. It simple changes the Glycemic Level and reduces the amount of sugar being used in the recipe. This also lowers the overall
calories a bit. They taste the same to me.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanut butter moon low sugar/reduced carbs v1

This recipe is simple. Just replace honey with sugar free maple syrup.

Ingredients
1 cup sugar free maple syrup
1 cup smart balance PB

1,pour contents of pouch into a large mixing bowl.2, Add 1 cup smart balance peanut butter, and 1 cup sugar free maple syrup. 3, Mix well with hands till texture is smooth like fudge. 4, place in a deep glass backing dish and let set in fridge for 30 mins. 5,cut into 12 even bars.

Nutrition facts

calories 350 from fat 179c
total fat 21 (95% omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids)
saturated fats 4
trans fat 0
cholesterol 40mg
sodium 136mg
total carbohydrates 18g
dietary fiber 4g
sugar 7g
protein 26g

For a lower sugar lower carb treat these bars are great. They have a soft maple flavor that complements the oatmeal perfectly.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lots of good ideas in here!! I've only made them as directed on the package so far, but I would like to give some of these ideas a shot in future batches

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try some out guys!

I wanna try the choco chip one when Im done cutting :D

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I loved the Peanut butter moon low sugar : )
I think I'm going to try that one tonight (if my son goes to bed at a reasonable hour!).

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i love thebars myself and have a few bags, need to make anothe rbatch. feels like its never ending lol

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i love thebars myself and have a few bags, need to make anothe rbatch. feels like its never ending lol
I know the feeling....nom nom nom