Cooking a Sirloin Tip Roast???

ChrisSurf

Awards
Not used to making "roast", I bought a Sirloin Tip Roast that's been trimmed and tied together with the strings. However looking online I'm seeing so many conflicting reports of how to cook it, I have it marinating right now.

Now it's trimmed, however there are still there are fats (white strips) kind going through it and some parts. Some people say thats normal, others say the whole thing has to be cut apart and trimmed.. huh? When I see vids of people trimming their roast, there's usually a fat covering the outside or thick parts being cut off... not like mine?

Also do you still broil it with the strings holding it or cut before hand? I saw recipes saying to cut them, and others saying to cut them after cooking? I thought your supposed to cut them after cooking....

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
What i would do if your worried about the fat is broil it on a rack and drain the fat off every 30-45min.And leave the strings on to hold it together(won't hurt it)

ChrisSurf

Awards
What i would do if your worried about the fat is broil it on a rack and drain the fat off every 30-45min.And leave the strings on to hold it together(won't hurt it)
Yeh thats what I fig'd, I was going to broil it on a rack anyway... but then got a lil confused when I started looking up recipes and seeing so many different things that just just sounded conflicted to me lol.

I made a mean marinade using worcestershire sauce, lil balsamic vinegar, lil cherry bbq (cherry republic is the bomb), and garlic salt and pepper. Can't wait :684:

ChrisSurf

Awards
Well got it broiling right now, just flipped it and added a little more brown sugar to the other side for caramelization.... it smells incredible right now with that marinade I made. So we'll see how it turns out.

ChrisSurf

Awards
The method of cooking depends on how you like your roast. I like mine medium-rare, juicy and tender. To get this result, I leave the fat alone, as I've discovered that removing it tends to make the meat drier than a popcorn fart. Season or marinate it as desired, and then SLOOOW-roast it as follows:

1. Season or marinate roast as desired.
  2. Bring the roast to room temperature (about 1 hr before roasting)
  3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. and place the roast in a shallow roasting pan in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes to sear the outside.
  4. Lower the oven temp to 250 degrees F. and roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 130 degrees F (2 to 2-1/2 hrs). The roast will continue to cook once removed from the oven.
  5. Remove from the oven and tent with foil.
  6. REST the roast for 25-30 minutes. This will keep the juice infused in the roast (rather than running all over your cutting board and onto the floor) when you slice it.
Yeh I was planning on slow roasting next time, I ran out of time last night so I was cooking at 350 after using the broiler for a bit on each side, and just kept checking the meat for temp. Still came out great though, i just made that marinade from scratch without knowing how it would taste (cherry bbq sauce, french's new extra tenderizing worcestershire sauce, some balsamic vinegar, garlic salt... then coated each side with brown sugar before it went in the oven. Tasted awesome.

Def gonna do it slow though next time, as it came out more "medium" when I prefer medium rare for roast.

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
Those are kickass as a pot roast, in the slow cooker. Yum.

ChrisSurf

Awards
You know what this was really good in, I sliced a few pieces and then cut them up. Grabbed one of my whole wheat wraps and put the meat in, and threw in some pimento olive mix, and then mixed in a bit of the bbq/worcestershire/spicy mustard.

Heated it up in the microwave... damn that was awesome wrap :banana: . Think I found my go to dinner for now, so tasty with that mix.

dpk20x

Awards
1. Season or marinate roast as desired.
2. Bring the roast to room temperature (about 1 hr before roasting)
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. and place the roast in a shallow roasting pan in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes to sear the outside.
4. Lower the oven temp to 250 degrees F. and roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 130 degrees F (2 to 2-1/2 hrs). The roast will continue to cook once removed from the oven.
5. Remove from the oven and tent with foil.
6. REST the roast for 25-30 minutes. This will keep the juice infused in the roast (rather than running all over your cutting board and onto the floor) when you slice it.
Holy crap man! You let that roast cook 3 hours and then you wait another half hour for those juices to soak in ... Thats gotta take some serious willpower ... I need to try that someday normally I just cook a roast at 350 for bout an hour.

My favorite way to prepare a roast is to season the outside with a good amount of salt and pepper. Then I poke a few holes in the roast with a knife and add a few cloves of crushed up garlic. So easy, so good :yumyum:.

ChrisSurf

Awards
Well I mixed it up this time and got a Boston Butt Roast, it didn't look to fatty and I thought cooking it would burn off some excess fat (which is did). However there is way to much fat in it, to the point I'm cutting strips and cutting fat away lol. Taste great in a different marinade I made, and slow roasted it in the oven for hours... but just to fatty. Def better suited to a smoker to burn more fat. But I think I should have cooked it longer at 300 instead of 275.

I'll stick with the Sirloin tip b/c of less fat... crazy how cheap even good pork is, while the Sirloin and others are around $5lb and up, Butt Roast was like $2lb I think.