Help with tuna

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Just lookin for a few possibilities to spice up the tuna. I usually just eat from the can, no problemo. It would be nice to know a few ways of switching it up.. nothing major just little things. Any ideas?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Cajun seasoning...

Omega rich mayo (made with olive oil)

lemon pepper + paprika

put it on a salad with a light vinegar dressing and some almond slices and boiled eggs

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Ive done the yellow mustard, its not too shabby. I like the paprika/lemon pepper idea. I dont really have much room for other foods I'm still getting pretty stuffed on these calories. Im sure in a week Ill be able to push past 4500, maybe then Ill throw it in a salad.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cajun seasoning...

Omega rich mayo (made with olive oil)

lemon pepper + paprika

put it on a salad with a light vinegar dressing and some almond slices and boiled eggs
OMG that sounds delicious!!! I have all of that except for the damn tuna :aargh: About to add it to my grocery list now

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mustard, relish, salt and pepper, mix and enjoy.
I just tried this and for the first time I actually enjoyed eating canned tuna! Made up 3 more batches (9 cans) to eat at work tomorrow... Thanks haha

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
greek yogurt fat free or how ever you have your diet set up (oh plain by the way)unless you think blueberry goes with tuna!

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
greek yogurt fat free or how ever you have your diet set up (oh plain by the way)unless you think blueberry goes with tuna!
This sounds awful! Lol are you playing with me?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just tried this and for the first time I actually enjoyed eating canned tuna! Made up 3 more batches (9 cans) to eat at work tomorrow... Thanks haha
I make my tuna the same way but I sprinkle a little cayenne pepper in it too :bigok:

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
no its great reg. greek yogurt small tub is like 80cal or less and 17g of protein i like way better then mayo and i like mayo

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Try this one from my blog. It can also be made with canned salmon, or other leftover grilled fish. . .VERY TASTY:

Sorry, not up to my 20th post yet. . .You'll have to cut and paste:
anabolicgourmet.blogspot.com/2011/01/creamy-salmon-spread.html

Mmm this recipe is AWESOME! I just made some tonight. I could eat it plain.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I just bought 50 cans.. Time to get peeeeeeeled!!!
50!?!?!? Good greef charlie brown! That will prob only last you a week too hahah. I cant eat that much tuna..... I can storm through some can chicken though!!!! mmmmmm.....

Can chicken with mayo, mustard, garlic powder onion powder, cajun powder, black pepper, salt, italian seasoning, chopped up onion, lettuce, or spinach leaves, diced tomatoes, melt in some cheese. Make a huge batch and let it sit for a night. You have scoopable make shift sandiwches till you run out. And i cant get enough of it..... Its like crack!

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
i like hot sauce on mine sometimes I stuff hard boiled eggs with the mixture.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tapatio sauce for a simple quick fix. Sometimes I add veggies such as diced onions and celery as well.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm done with canned tuna... Canned chicken same price more protein

Canned chicken ftw!!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm done with canned tuna... Canned chicken same price more protein

Canned chicken ftw!!
How are you eating the canned chicken?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whatever you can do to canned tuna you can do to chicken and vice versa I am sure.

perfection5

Awards
can neverrr go wrong with some mustard and relish

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Try this one from my blog. It can also be made with canned salmon, or other leftover grilled fish. . .VERY TASTY:

Sorry, not up to my 20th post yet. . .You'll have to cut and paste:
anabolicgourmet.blogspot.com/2011/01/creamy-salmon-spread.html
Just checked out your Blog, I like it. Can you help me out with something I can use with my Better Protein Bars from NTBM, in stead of Honey? I don't like the sugar, but it's used to kind of hold the entire mixture together. Thanks!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just checked out your Blog, I like it. Can you help me out with something I can use with my Better Protein Bars from NTBM, in stead of Honey? I don't like the sugar, but it's used to kind of hold the entire mixture together. Thanks!
Interested in this too

heath765

Awards
I like throwing some spicy brown mustard and cajun seasoning in.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Bump :)

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Can you point me to the recipe so I can take a look?
Absolutely, I'll do that now, thanks a lot for your help! :)

Each Better Protein Bar pack comes with all of the dry ingredients you need to make 12 fresh homemade all natural protein bars. What could be better than making your very own fresh protein bars? It’s simple; we took all of the hard work out of it for you. With the Better Protein Bar pack all you need to do is: pour it in a bowl, add in your wet ingredients (water, milk, almond milk, etc) and mix, that’s it. No long list of ingredients, no thinking, and no baking. In just 2-5 minutes from start to finish and you have 12 fresh, 100% all natural protein bars!

As if that wasn’t good enough, here at Need To Build Muscle, we go one step further for you - the customer. At Need To Build Muscle, we have a mission statement - “To provide bodybuilders, athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and health nuts with products tailored to their needs and designed to their detailed specifications.” and we mean it!
For some reason, that doesn't specify or even mention the honey. It's from the product page on their website.

Let me go check Nutra's page and see if that has any info...

FOUND IT! http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/need-to-build-muscle/better-protein-bars-12-bar-mix.html

Here is the blurb...

Better Protein Bars Directions:

Mix contents of pouch by hand in a blow with: 3/4 cup of Honey, 1 cup of Smart Balance Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup water. Press shape into square dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using butter-knife cut into 12 bars.

ChrisSurf

Awards
Outstanding and JudoJosh. . .

First off. . .I apologize for the delay. I've been up to my ying yang in real work and haven't been on this site in a while. . .

Two substitute possibilities come to mind. I'm assuming that your goal is to replace the honey with something that has a lower glycemic index and/or you just don't like the taste of honey:

Substitute 1: Agave nectar - has a very low glycemic index, is about the same consistency as honey, and can be bought in places like Wal*Mart. Look by the sugar and splenda in the baking isle.

Substitute 2: Sugar Free Maple Syrup. If you like the flavor of Maple, this would be a sugar-free substitute. It's slightly thinner than honey, but the maple flavor may add a nice dimension. Be careful with certain sugar-free products, some (not all) can have a nasty aftertaste.

Whenever I use honey, I always opt for RAW Honey (sometimes labeled Organic--same as RAW). Glycemic index aside, it has many health benefits. Google Health Benefits of Raw Honey.

Let me know how it goes. If you want to try some different flavors, you could also experiment with some sugar-free coffee syrups.
I'm not sure about maple, every maple syrup I've had is almost runny like water. But yeh def go with raw honey, I got the number of a bee guy not far from me who sells his own honey, totally forgot about that untill now.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya the SF maple syrup I have still has around 10-15g of sugar alcohol.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Outstanding and JudoJosh. . .

First off. . .I apologize for the delay. I've been up to my ying yang in real work and haven't been on this site in a while. . .

Two substitute possibilities come to mind. I'm assuming that your goal is to replace the honey with something that has a lower glycemic index and/or you just don't like the taste of honey:

Substitute 1: Agave nectar - has a very low glycemic index, is about the same consistency as honey, and can be bought in places like Wal*Mart. Look by the sugar and splenda in the baking isle.

Substitute 2: Sugar Free Maple Syrup. If you like the flavor of Maple, this would be a sugar-free substitute. It's slightly thinner than honey, but the maple flavor may add a nice dimension. Be careful with certain sugar-free products, some (not all) can have a nasty aftertaste.

Whenever I use honey, I always opt for RAW Honey (sometimes labeled Organic--same as RAW). Glycemic index aside, it has many health benefits. Google Health Benefits of Raw Honey.

Let me know how it goes. If you want to try some different flavors, you could also experiment with some sugar-free coffee syrups.
Thanks so much! Malitol in sugar free syrup might be the way to go... I wonder if the maple flavor of the syrup would overpower the peanut butter protein mix/bars - but I have five bags of Need 2's Better Protein Bars, so that's 60 bars in total, I can afford to 'mess up' 12 if it doesn't work out.

I did see the Agave product while googling recently, but saw it has 17g carbohydrates, seemingly even more carb-dense than honey itself, but as you said they are slower digesting (oh, but I do love the taste of honey).

I used to pour honey on white bread or rice cakes after a workout years ago as my ritual.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget to use Power Butter!
I'm addicted! I have Power Butter and Celery basically daily - mmmmmm. I don't like that I have to mix it for five minutes before I eat it, but that goes for any natural peanut butter, but this is awesome because it's got egg whites and flax. I have five Power Butter containers right now - they will be gone soon, haha!

I order them from Need to Build Muscle's website, Power Butter and Need 2 Slin along with four bags of Better Protein Bars just came in the mail. AHH YEAH!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm addicted! I have Power Butter and Celery basically daily - mmmmmm. I don't like that I have to mix it for five minutes before I eat it, but that goes for any natural peanut butter, but this is awesome because it's got egg whites and flax. I have five Power Butter containers right now - they will be gone soon, haha!

I order them from Need to Build Muscle's website, Power Butter and Need 2 Slin along with four bags of Better Protein Bars just came in the mail. AHH YEAH!
just fyi, for roughly 25% the cost and almost identical profile, made by the same company is Naturally More peanut butter, available at walmart.

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
just fyi, for roughly 25% the cost and almost identical profile, made by the same company is Naturally More peanut butter, available at walmart.
Really? I'll have to check into that.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I am going to check it out... the protein is the same, from egg whites and flax? Thanks for the suggestion man! I am going to try and find it on Google :)

Oh, I need to go to Wal-Mart tonight anyway, SCORE. Wait, I have five containers of Power Butter, haha, but I still need some other things. The last couple sentences could have been deleted without taking anything away from this post, but yet, I keep typing..........

EDIT: I FOUND IT... AND... I USED TO EAT IT LIKE CRAZY DURING A CONTEST PREP A FEW YEARS AGO! I had soooooo much of it during the diet, it made me want to puke. I don't know if my appetite is back yet for it, but everyone can check it out here http://www.naturallymore.com/products.html

I can't find anything specific as far as the protein content compared to Power Butter (other than it has 10g)

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Ha, yeah mixing it can be a pain. But damn good stuff! :yup:

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I am going to check it out... the protein is the same, from egg whites and flax? Thanks for the suggestion man! I am going to try and find it on Google :)

Oh, I need to go to Wal-Mart tonight anyway, SCORE. Wait, I have five containers of Power Butter, haha, but I still need some other things. The last couple sentences could have been deleted without taking anything away from this post, but yet, I keep typing..........

EDIT: I FOUND IT... AND... I USED TO EAT IT LIKE CRAZY DURING A CONTEST PREP A FEW YEARS AGO! I had soooooo much of it during the diet, it made me want to puke. I don't know if my appetite is back yet for it, but everyone can check it out here http://www.naturallymore.com/products.html

I can't find anything specific as far as the protein content compared to Power Butter (other than it has 10g)
Finally located the ingredients in Naturally More online, 10g of protein was for 2Tbsp, egg whites are listed, but only as the last ingredient here: http://dailyburn.com/nutrition/naturally_more_naturally_more_peanut_butter_with_flax_seed_calories

It's $40 for a case of $12 online, not sure how much in Wal-Mart. But Power Butter has nearly an identical blend, just 2g more protein per Tablespoon. So.... if I can buy one at Wal-Mart and see if I can stomach it after going through cases of it during my contest prep a few years ago, I might be saving myself some money!

McCoy1989

Awards
Spicy tuna spread:
If you like some spice and want to change it up from the cayenne try adding some sriracha (red asian chili sauce) as well as spicy or yellow mustard, black pepper, a little garlic powder, and onion powder. I eat this on sandwiches or with whole wheat crackers. Thick toast, mixed greens and tomato make one mean sandwich.

lilarny

lilarny

Awards
2 cans tuna (in water)
2 table spoons olive oil
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1/8th cup diced red onion
2 teaspoon old bay seasoning

heat the oil to medium high heat. toast the onions and garlic until garlic is brown. add drained tuna and old bay. sautee until goldin. freakin awesome!!

lilarny

lilarny

Awards
or you can sub some soy sauce in for the old bay. very nice