Need some Quinoa recipes idea's

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I finally get the chance to try this stuff as we started carrying it at are local walmart. However I do not know anything about this as far as cooking it goes. Could anyone give me tips on recipes for cooking this and maybe dishes. Thanks.

sapentia

sapentia

Awards
I finally get the chance to try this stuff as we started carrying it at are local walmart. However I do not know anything about this as far as cooking it goes. Could anyone give me tips on recipes for cooking this and maybe dishes. Thanks.
Funny, I just tried this yesterday morning for the first time. It was definitely different; I honestly just sat there chewing it trying to figure out what the heck it was like. That was plain of course (oatmeal style). So I would also like to hear some ideas on recipes or ways of kicking it up a notch because at this point I can't see implementing it into my diet.

riskerz

Awards
Ive never found this at Walmart, gonna check it out. A guy on youtube made a dish out of this, he kind made it like rice but he added fresh cut salsa n water. Im sure the quinoa absorbed the flavor of the salsa to make it bearable.

Rozman

Awards
I make it like oatmeal and add cinnamon, Splenda and/or Truvia, a tbsp. of coconut oil, and a little almond milk. Sometimes I mix it half and half with steel-cut oats. I make it in a rice cooker/steamer and use a 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Try adding some low sodium chicken seasoning its like 5cal and it helps making it not so plain.I use it for pasta works pretty good.

Exercise123

Awards
I like quinoa and blue agave nectar (honey); it’s awesome! Maple syrup works similar too. Regular honey is alright, but maple syrup and agave honey taste similar and well in quinoa, imo. Gives me a reason and a use to buy blue agave nectar, but I don't know how great of a concept that is. Also note the pronunciation of quinoa irl (keen-wah); you'll look legit saying that right.

Also, think about spices; not just for this recipe, but whenever you need to add some more taste. Spices are great alternatives to other choices such as ketchup or w/e. Many spices contain omega 3s, fiber, vitamins/minerals etc. Low doses sure but more than you get in processed toppings. Try ground cumin with quinoa or rice.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i just use it as a replacement for rice

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
my wife makes a homemade turkey/bean/veggie chili, and I mix quinoa into it. good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
probably my favorite is to cook the quinoa, throw it in the fridge till its cold, chop up onions, peppers and a little bit of celery plus some minced garlic and toss it into the quinoa with some olive oil.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
probably my favorite is to cook the quinoa, throw it in the fridge till its cold, chop up onions, peppers and a little bit of celery plus some minced garlic and toss it into the quinoa with some olive oil.
hey EasyEJL- do you add any seasoning to that?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sometimes I add goya sazon to the quinoa as its cooking before I do that, but most of the time I do it with nothing but a little sea salt and olive oil added to the quinoa during cooking.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
sometimes I add goya sazon to the quinoa as its cooking before I do that, but most of the time I do it with nothing but a little sea salt and olive oil added to the quinoa during cooking.
thanks

Norcal Mike

Norcal Mike

Awards
I put quinoa in my bird feeder, the blue jays love it. Wont touch the stuff myself.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cook in chicken stock or beef stock (low sodium) add some onions, bell peppers, pepper. Can even top that with some parm:)

agd

Awards
Basic Quinoa:
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
2 cups quinoa
2 bay leaves
3-4 crushed and sliced garlic cloves
ground black pepper and salt (if your allowed)

Bring chicken stock, bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper to a boil, allow to boil for 5 minutes, then add quinoa, lower heat to low, cover and allow to simmer 15 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes before serving.

agd

Awards
Quinoa Pilaf:

Use the above basic quinoa recipe, but after it has sat for 10 minutes add the following:

1 bell pepper sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
1 seeded cucumber sliced
1 bunch scallions (sliced)
1/4-1/2 olive oil (depending on how much fat you can spare)
2 juiced lemons

Stir everything together, let sit in fridge or on counter 1-2 hours before serving, serve at room temperature (can be made a day in advance, and keeps well also)

wildthings

wildthings

Awards
I've tried the red variety of quinoa, the taste is slightly milder and had a little more texture than the standard quinoa.