Protein Powder becomes useless when baking?

ChrisSurf

Awards
Been playing with some protein bar recipes and can't remember where I read it on another forum but it said something like most powders become useless when baking as the heat breaks them down... and that if your going to be using a powder like for baking in protein bars etc that it had to be made a certain way or withstand a certain flash point.... something like that? Think it was on the bodybuilding forum but can't find where I read that. Think it was called denaturing?

Anybody know about that? Or which powders to use when baking that don't become useless

pauli85

Awards
going on the theory that there is still protien in cooked meats, etc then it should be fine.

given that protien powder is different to protien in meats it could affect it, but i doubt it.

either way, it would be very intersting to find out as i have just started getting into making the protien brownies.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
NTBM's Better Protein Bars are no bake bars. Depending on what ingredients are used, you shouldn't have to BAKE protein bars. The better protein bars are dried fruit, oats, whey protein, and then you mix in honey and peanut butter. No need to bake, fast simple and a cheap way to enjoy a whole food snack.

ChrisSurf

Awards
NTBM's Better Protein Bars are no bake bars. Depending on what ingredients are used, you shouldn't have to BAKE protein bars. The better protein bars are dried fruit, oats, whey protein, and then you mix in honey and peanut butter. No need to bake, fast simple and a cheap way to enjoy a whole food snack.
I like my bars crunchy though, I have some good recipes, but their the kind that right after you make you just stick in the fridge and their still kinda mushy.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well......if protein powders are anything like protein in our cells (albumin....etc), then yes, temps over body temp denature the protein. thats why when u get sick, ur body runs a fever. so it denatures the bacteria or virus' protein. therefor, enzyme function cant...well function lol and all metabolic *anabolic or catabolic* processes cant take place.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Denaturing changes physical properties, but doesn't necessarily destroy amino acids. As the pefect example, an uncooked egg is about half as bioavailable as a cooked egg. So yes, the protein gets denatured, and the liquid egg goes solid, but that doesn't mean it has to make it less bioavailable.

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Denaturing only eliminates whatever special function the protein strand has (by causing it to unfurl). However, it is still protein.
Therefore you may lose certain immune-system boosting traits or the like, but it will still build muscle.

naturalgainer

naturalgainer

Awards
  • Established
I also heard from a few people that even if it does denature the protein will still be there in amino acid form and still be useful because protein denatures once you consume it anyway. I could be wrong but that is just what I have read.

jwa254

jwa254

Awards
  • Established
I think denaturing protein is a possible factor, but it really shouldn't be that big of a factor to detour you from baking with powders

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
Supplements 7