Protein Powder becomes useless when baking?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Protein Powder becomes useless when baking?

Been playing with some protein bar recipes and can't remember where I read it on another forum but it said something like most powders become useless when baking as the heat breaks them down... and that if your going to be using a powder like for baking in protein bars etc that it had to be made a certain way or withstand a certain flash point.... something like that? Think it was on the bodybuilding forum but can't find where I read that. Think it was called denaturing?

Anybody know about that? Or which powders to use when baking that don't become useless

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  91k lbs.

going on the theory that there is still protien in cooked meats, etc then it should be fine.

given that protien powder is different to protien in meats it could affect it, but i doubt it.

either way, it would be very intersting to find out as i have just started getting into making the protien brownies.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.

****'s Better Protein Bars are no bake bars. Depending on what ingredients are used, you shouldn't have to BAKE protein bars. The better protein bars are dried fruit, oats, whey protein, and then you mix in honey and peanut butter. No need to bake, fast simple and a cheap way to enjoy a whole food snack.
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    ****'s Better Protein Bars are no bake bars. Depending on what ingredients are used, you shouldn't have to BAKE protein bars. The better protein bars are dried fruit, oats, whey protein, and then you mix in honey and peanut butter. No need to bake, fast simple and a cheap way to enjoy a whole food snack.
    I like my bars crunchy though, I have some good recipes, but their the kind that right after you make you just stick in the fridge and their still kinda mushy.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

well......if protein powders are anything like protein in our cells (albumin....etc), then yes, temps over body temp denature the protein. thats why when u get sick, ur body runs a fever. so it denatures the bacteria or virus' protein. therefor, enzyme function cant...well function lol and all metabolic *anabolic or catabolic* processes cant take place.
  6. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Denaturing changes physical properties, but doesn't necessarily destroy amino acids. As the pefect example, an uncooked egg is about half as bioavailable as a cooked egg. So yes, the protein gets denatured, and the liquid egg goes solid, but that doesn't mean it has to make it less bioavailable.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

^^^^ true
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Denaturing only eliminates whatever special function the protein strand has (by causing it to unfurl). However, it is still protein.
    Therefore you may lose certain immune-system boosting traits or the like, but it will still build muscle.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.

I also heard from a few people that even if it does denature the protein will still be there in amino acid form and still be useful because protein denatures once you consume it anyway. I could be wrong but that is just what I have read.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.

I think denaturing protein is a possible factor, but it really shouldn't be that big of a factor to detour you from baking with powders
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
  2. protein powder ok for 10 yr old?
    By bigmoe65 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM
  3. Protein for baking?
    By JSimmons2004 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 03:28 PM