Refried Beans w/ Bacon

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
These beans are sooo gooood!

Refried beans made with pinto beans. I rinsed then cooked 1 pound pinto beans in crock pot with 4 cups water. I let them get soft. Cooked 2-3 hours on high and then a few more hours on low to get there... Maybe more. You could keep the crockpot on high to get them soft faster.

Fry up a package of bacon in a big frying pan. Once the bacon is cooked, I cut it all up into little pieces with scissors and put it back into the frying pan... Leaving the grease in too.

Start putting the cooked pinto beans into the frying pan and stirring, mixing with the bacon and grease. They will mush up after a bit. Add water as you fry them or it will get too dry and become crumbly.

These beans taste so good and hearty. High protein, complex carbs for long lasting energy, fiber, saturated animal fats for hormone production (not to mention calories for hard gainers like me).

I eat a bowl of these beans before training and feel great at the gym. They store easily in the fridge and reheat well in the microwave.

Dan 55

Awards
ahhhh dude, i never put bacon in refried beans but i love them. i use the can stuff and throw in ortega green chiles and a little bit of cheese. i gotta try bacon tho

perico13

Banned
Awards
  • Established
that sounds really good. if you guys have a pressure cooker you can cut the cooking time by a lot. i usually just rinse the beans then let them cook under pressure for 20 mins, using 6 cups of water for black bean soup. a teaspoon of cumin works wonders for them too!

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
I'll be making some more beans soon. This time adding jalepenos as well.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
damn that sounds good. ANYthing is better with bacon

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
U stole my thinger Urbanski! I love bacon, 2-3 times a week. It's awsome with a grilled chicken breast on a bed of mixed greens and vegies!

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Wonder how those beens would taste in a burrito? Hmmmmm.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
What kind of bacon? Swine? I can't mess around with that swine but turkey bacon might be decent? I don't know if it would taste the same though.

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
What kind of bacon? Swine? I can't mess around with that swine but turkey bacon might be decent? I don't know if it would taste the same though.
The whole purpose of the bacon is to fry the beans on the grease. I was told to use saved bacon grease by a Latino girl at work, but chose to also use the bacon because I had to make my grease fresh.