I love wild game! Best red meat 4 U

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
I bow and gun hunt deer, elk, and mulies. Wild game is higher in protien and much leaner than our domesticated animals. Also, our family butchers all our own, so it's even leaner than if you paid someone $100 to process it for you.

Nenni, bison, elk can be substituted for beef or pork in any recipe, Just don't overcook. Here is one of my favorites.

Venni meatloaf:

1 lb ground vennison
1 lb ground turky
Large onion diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomatoe sc.
1 can dark red chilli beans
1 can lt red chilli beans
1 can chilli beans and sauce
5-6 cloves garlic minced
2-4 tablespoons chilli powder
salt/pepper to taste
Like it hot? cyanne pepper or tobasco green sauce

Brown meat-don't drain, you will usually need to add some oil to cook it, I use about 2 tbls olive oil.

throw it all in a pot (open and empty canned products in pot also, sharp metal can be bad for ya)

I let it simmer, stirring once in a while, for about an hour. Adjust consistancy with water.

Great protien and fiber. Low cals and carbs unless you eat a sleeve or two of crackers with it like I do.

Add about 1-1.5 cups H20 or a can of beer

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
looks like a chili recipe, not meatloaf. looks good though.

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
dude try taking classic brown rice and boiling it up.
then take cube steak(venison, or elk, etc..)
fry the cube steak in some low everything butter substitute, although i wouldn't recommend anything whipped it just never seems to work out for me.
get whole wheat flour.
take the flour and mix it in with water in your pan and make some traditional gravy..
now that the cube steak and gravy are mixed just let them simmer and mix in some chopped onions if you want. also you can add in spices like garlic and sea salt.
then when the cube steak is tender take it out of the gravy and mix in with the brown rice you made earlier. now you have classic country style steak.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
WOW, hosed that one, it is chilli! Or very runny meatloaf!

HAHA my bad!

Kevin R

Awards
  • Established
I went hunting all damn week and guess what I got? Absolutely nothing. We went 5 of 7 days and saw ZERO deer. Ridiculous.

I only have the 19th and 20th of the month to fill my tag or I'm going to be pissed. I need some nice lean venison.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
F'n rights wild game is awesome. Got my 2 bucks this year..no time for Elk though..so sad. Lots of grouse too. We should have a wild game recipe section for all the hunting nutz.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm grinding my own deerburger this year. They recommend adding fat to the meat because its so lean. What's a good fat to add to it. Is there a healthy fat you can put it in? I figured trying a low percentage of beef fat was best unless you guys have ideas?
Got three by the way but gave one to my friend that's a poor shot:)

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I'm grinding my own deerburger this year. They recommend adding fat to the meat because its so lean. What's a good fat to add to it. Is there a healthy fat you can put it in? I figured trying a low percentage of beef fat was best unless you guys have ideas?
I wouldn't add any fat to it. You have primo organic free range meat there. Don't add a bunch of chemically enhanced garbage into it. When your cooking (Frying/making meatballs etc.) it though mix it with some olive oil. If your making pepperoni with it try and find some local farm raised pork, like a shoulder which will have more than enough fat content.:veryhappy:

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on a successful hunt!!

Pork fat or ground pork with a high fat% would be your best bet if you're looking for flavor.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cool, thanks guys. And why pork over beef?

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I went hunting all damn week and guess what I got? Absolutely nothing. We went 5 of 7 days and saw ZERO deer. Ridiculous.

I only have the 19th and 20th of the month to fill my tag or I'm going to be pissed. I need some nice lean venison.
Maybe you should take a minivan into the woods because last year my wife got 2 deer with our Grand Caravan. :laugh2:

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah my buddy called to tell me he hit a deer with his truck while I was out hunting. I was jealous he was seeing deer cause up to that point i hadnt.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Deer, Turkey, and Squirrel.....

Best tasting meat on earth. Other than the occasional fish of course. :veryhappy:

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Pork just has an overall stronger flavor.

Great is you are making sausage.
No, not for me or most sausage makers. It is for the correct fat content unless you want to add straight fat. Beef suet adds just as good of a flavor..it just doesn't mix as well I find, as using actual meat with a higher % of fat.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do enjoy the taste of wild game as much as any other meat.

But, dang, if I don't get sick just about every time. My stomach summersaults for a good 12 hours after a normal 8oz serving of moose or deer (those are the 2 that I can think of that I've tried in the last year or 2).

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, not for me or most sausage makers. It is for the correct fat content unless you want to add straight fat. Beef suet adds just as good of a flavor..it just doesn't mix as well I find, as using actual meat with a higher % of fat.
I will concede that you definitely know a whole hell of alot more than I do on it. I only made it a slight few times, but wouldn't mind seeing your recipes or techniques you use.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

But, dang, if I don't get sick just about every time. My stomach summersaults for a good 12 hours after a normal 8oz serving of moose or deer (those are the 2 that I can think of that I've tried in the last year or 2).
Thats what you get for living in one of those germ free worlds. Put down the hand sanitizer and hope in the sand box with your kids! :D

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I will concede that you definitely know a whole hell of alot more than I do on it. I only made it a slight few times, but wouldn't mind seeing your recipes or techniques you use.
What kind of recipe would you like man? I am experimenting making jalapeño cheese smokies with the rest of my my spring black bear this winter. Can't wait for the time off. I'm also going to make some rollmops with trout :32:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What kind of recipe would you like man? I am experimenting making jalapeño cheese smokies with the rest of my my spring black bear this winter. Can't wait for the time off. I'm also going to make some rollmops with trout :32:
Nice man... definitely not going to find any black bear meat around me right now... how about some venison recipes. I have plenty of meat stocked away from the season.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established

You may have an aversion to red meat in general which is more pronounced with wild game. One of my good buddies had the same thing for years...just started being able to eat red meat again. I would imagine that it has to do with not having enough good bacteria in your intestinal tract. Try taking some Acidophilus for a few months and try again. Make sure that your game meat is butchered yourself so you can control the cleanliness of the operation.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Nice man... definitely not going to find any black bear meat around me right now... how about some venison recipes. I have plenty of meat stocked away from the season.
Do you just want some sausage recipes or meals lol? I have some of the most tender venison in the freezer right now. So bloody good.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you just want some sausage recipes or meals lol? I have some of the most tender venison in the freezer right now. So bloody good.
Sure... whatever you got that is good... it is hard to pick out the good from google. Definitely hit some up in the recipe section.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Venison Honey Bologna
10 pounds venison 2-3 pounds back fat
5 ounces salt 2 teaspoons Prague Powder #2
4 ounces corn syrup solids 1/2 cup honey
6 ounces Fermento 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon nutmeg 1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder 5 3 1/2 x 24 inch casings
Grind the meat through a 1/2 inch plate,mix it with the salt, then let it sit 5 to 6 days, draining off the liquid.
Add more salt to taste of needed. Put in an airtight tub for four days, overhauling once. Regrind
through a 3/8” plate. Mix corn syrup solids with the dryer Fermento, then mix it all into the venison.
Dissolve the Prague Powder #2 in a cup of cold water and mixed that inwith the honey Grind fat back
through an 1/8” plate. Mix in all the spices, and grind again through an 1/8” plate. Let it sit in the fridge
for a couple hours Soak casings in vinegar and stuff. Pierce liberally wipe with vinegar.
Specified fermenting:
16 hours at 90 F, 90% humidity
28 hours at 105 F, 85% humidity
6 hours at 110 F, 85% humidity

Breakfast Sausage
5 lbs. pork butt
5 lbs. Vension/elk or moose
5 tbsp. salt 1 tbsp. ground white pepper
2 tbsp. rubbed sage 1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp. nutmeg 1 tbsp. thyme
1 pint ice water 1 tbsp. ground hot red pepper (optional)
You can make an excellent breakfast sausage using 100% pork butts or 50% pork butts and 50% pork
trimmings
All the pork used to make the sausage must be chilled from 32-35ºF F. without fail. Be sure that all the meat
is free of blood clots, sinews, bone, skin, glands, etc.Grind all the meat through a 3/16” grinder plate and
place in mixer.Add all the ingredients and mix well until all the spices are evenly distributed. Pork sausage
may be stuffed into 28-30 mm hog casings or 22-24 mm lamb casings. Pork sausage also may be stuffed
into a cloth bag or a 3 1/2 by 24” fibrous casing. It is very important that pork sausage not be allowed to
remain at room temperature any longer than necessary. Place in cooler as soon as possible. Pork sausage
should be allowed to chill and dry in 28-32ºF cooler.

Bratwurst
2.5 pounds lean ground pork,
2.5 pounds venison
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 tablespoon sage
1 teaspoon paprika 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2teaspoons dried rosemary 1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon nutmeg
5 teaspoons salt
Hog casings
Mix all spices together and work into meat. Stuff meat mixture into hog casings and form links. Makes 20

English Bangers
5 lbs. fat pork butts
5 lbs venison
2 tsp. ground white pepper 1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. sage 1 tsp. mace
3 ozs. salt (about 6 tbsp.) 6 ozs. bread crumbs
Meat is chilled to 32-34 degrees F. and ground through 1/4” grinding plate.All ingredients are mixed very
well with about 2 cups of water.When possible, add cooled pork stock in place of water. Meat is then
stuffed into 32-35mm hog casings and whatever sausage not used up is frozen. English bangers are a very
tasty sausage served at breakfast time,much the same as American pork sausage.The above formula may
be used to make all beef breakfast sausage. Use any kind of beef or trimmings, 70% lean and 30% fat.

All Beef Kosher Frankfurters
20 lbs. beef chuck trimmings 1/8 lb. dried marjoram
30 lbs. venison flank, briskets cracked ice or ice water
or trimmings 1/4 lb. sugar
1/2 lb. frankfurt sausage 1 oz. garlic compound
seasoning flour
1/8 lb. ground allspice 1 lb. salt
Trim meats thoroughly, removing all skin, sinews, blood clot, and bones, but leaving the fat. Put beef
through 5/16 inch plate of grinder, and veal through 1/8 inch plate. Put meats into mixer and mix, gradually
adding ice or ice water and enough flour to reach desired consistency.Then mix in remaining ingredients.
Stuff into narrow beef round casings or wide sheep casing, and tie with twine into links about 4
inches long. Cut in lengths of four links each, and smoke at medium heat until they are a bright reddish
brown, and cook for about 10 minutes at 155 to 160 degrees

Dry-Cured Pepperoni - Italian Style
1 lb. regular pork 4 lbs. venison
5 lbs. lean pork butts 9 tbsp. salt
1 oz. powdered dextrose 2 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 2
1 tbsp. ground hot red pepper 1 tsp. allspice
2 ozs. corn syrup solids 5 tsp. ground anise seed
Grind all the meat through a 3/16 grinder plate. Use mixer and add all the ingredients mixing evenly;
regrind through 1/8 plate.The meat now is ready for stuffing. Stuffing: It is essential that the meat be
well-chilled to avoid smearing.The meat should be stuffed into 24-26mm lamb casings. Drying: Hold pepperoni
at 70 degrees F. for about 2 days maintaining a relative humidity of about 75%.The product should
be kept in a 38-40 degrees F. cooler for at least 20 days (or until desired dryness is reached), from the time
the cure has been added to the pepperoni. Be sure that casings used are not more than 1 3/8” in diameter,
as this formula applies only to casings below this range.
Contents

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Pepperoni (2)
22 lb. venison
3 lb. pork fat
1 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons salt
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dextrose (glucose)
2 tablespoons cure dissolved in 1 cup water
3/4 cup ground red pepper
3/4 cup ground allspice
1 tablespoon garlic powder
5 tablespoons fennel seed
Grind meat and fat through a 1/2-inch plate. Mix meat, fat, and all seasonings. Grind through a 1/8-inch plate
and mix 6 minutes. Stuff in hog casings and place in 90 degrees Fahrenheit smokehouse until pH 5 is reached.
Store at 50 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 days to produce a dry product, or heat to 142 degrees Fahrenheit
after pH 5 is reached to produce a semi-dry product.
It is best to use a starter culture with all fermented sausage. If starter cultures are not available let product
stand in a 6-inch deep tray at 38 degrees Fahrenheit for 72 hours before it is stuffed or add 8 oz. of GDL
per 100 lb. of product and heat to 142 degrees Fahrenheit internally without incubation.

Tequila Chili for wintertime=)
Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 pounds ground venison
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cups chopped white onion
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 cup chili powder
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup gold tequila
1/2 cup orange juice
2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans in sauce
Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground venison and cook, stirring to crumble, until no longer pink. Mix in the celery and onion; cook and stir until tender. Season with red pepper flakes, garlic powder and chili powder. Cook and stir for a minute to intensify the flavors.
Pour in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tequila and orange juice; simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 2 hours. After 2 hours, mix the beans into the chili and simmer for another 30 minutes.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
I'm happy to see all the resonse here! It's nice to know so many of you are avid hunters. Personally bowhunting is my thing-Norther WI!!! Big bucks and lots of tags in crop damage areas.

I've noticed comments on adding fat for sausage etc. When we grind and mix for summer sausage, breakfast sausage, etc we do it in 100 lbs batches. We have a group of about 10 that usually end up with around 12-15 deer each year. We buy-from a local guy-a couple hogs and mix in lean pork shoulder about 50/50. This adds just enough fat for this kind of finnished product. No where neer as fatty as say Jimmy-not lean-Dean sausage. But yet not dry.

Also, butchering and packaging you own stuff saves a ton of money, and a few beers with the family, or hunting party-sitting around telling stories is great fun!

I'll have to throw in how to do goose minus the liver taste sometime. I just love Canadian honkers! And Geese aren't bad either!

The O.P.

Keep killin' and grillen'

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats what you get for living in one of those germ free worlds. Put down the hand sanitizer and hope in the sand box with your kids! :D
LMFAO... the irony is that my job requires 47,000 hand washings per day :laugh:

You may have an aversion to red meat in general which is more pronounced with wild game. One of my good buddies had the same thing for years...just started being able to eat red meat again. I would imagine that it has to do with not having enough good bacteria in your intestinal tract. Try taking some Acidophilus for a few months and try again. Make sure that your game meat is butchered yourself so you can control the cleanliness of the operation.
All good points. I've never noticed with beef but you could definately be on to something. I'd really like to be able to eat my dad's deer chilli... he got pretty big 10 point 2 weeks ago and I know it's on the menu for NFL sundays :food:

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
anyone tried deer jerkey? that stuff is addictive. they have the kits to make it at Bass Pro Shop and u just let it sit in the dehydrator for a day

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
LMFAO... the irony is that my job requires 47,000 hand washings per day :laugh:

All good points. I've never noticed with beef but you could definately be on to something. I'd really like to be able to eat my dad's deer chilli... he got pretty big 10 point 2 weeks ago and I know it's on the menu for NFL sundays :food:
Try it out and let me know. Worked for my bud.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
anyone tried deer jerkey? that stuff is addictive. they have the kits to make it at Bass Pro Shop and u just let it sit in the dehydrator for a day
I like to do a sweet n spicy one which I smoke for half a pan of mesquite chips and then let it dry out in there. I love it.

alexchamp

Awards
lucky for you having all the privileges to enjoy this, i don't have any butcher in the family :p

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
What's the taste of the meat of a deer? I haven't tasted it before. :(

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
lucky for you having all the privileges to enjoy this, i don't have any butcher in the family :p
You don't need a butcher...you just learn to do it yourself. Their are videos, seminars and people who actually hunt who can teach you. I taught myself all the finesse end of the deal..and my product turns out better than any butcher meat/sausage etc that I have ever had.

What's the taste of the meat of a deer? I haven't tasted it before.

It can taste like fillet mignon or urine soaked dirt flesh. It depends on how clean you are when you dress butcher it. It should be well bled and aged a few days for the best meat around...well except for Elk...or mountain goat...or antelope...yum!

G79

I just made 10 pounds of deer jerky yesterday. Yum. Ronin is right about the taste. But another inportnat aspect of the taste is the deers age and sex. A one year old doe taste great but a big old buck is a little gamier. But you have to prep it right or it all can taste bad.

I used to pay processing until the last few years i started doing it on my own. I have a grinder, jerky shooter, and a dehydrator. The skin comes off easy. I just quarter them and cut out the back straps. I will never pay 80-100 to have this done again!

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I just made 10 pounds of deer jerky yesterday. Yum. Ronin is right about the taste. But another inportnat aspect of the taste is the deers age and sex. A one year old doe taste great but a big old buck is a little gamier. But you have to prep it right or it all can taste bad.

I used to pay processing until the last few years i started doing it on my own. I have a grinder, jerky shooter, and a dehydrator. The skin comes off easy. I just quarter them and cut out the back straps. I will never pay 80-100 to have this done again!
I have had old bucks taste as good as does and just as tender, like my 8 point 9 yo revert from last year. If it does have a gamey taste, it usually means it wasn't handled properly. Make sure to not get any stomach fluid,urine from the bladder or any thing undesirable in/on the meat. Skin/cool it as quickly as possible and do not use the same knife to cut off the glands to skin your animal. I like using an replaceable straight blade, so I can keep the amount of contaminants down. Also don't make your animals suffer, take humane shots that put them down quickly. If you don't you will have some gamey tasting tough meat t deal with.:AR15firing:

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
Wild game is where it's at. One thing I love about where I live is the good hunting and the abundance of meat to be had.

G79

The meat looks darker? I shot a small doe and the meat was pink the old buck was dark red. Is this still due to the above mentioned reasons?

JR07005

JR07005

Awards
A thought for the folks sensitive to game meat.
Try taking Digestive Enzymes prior to eating it. I dont know what exact enzyme blend they use, but my parents had a similar reaction until they went with a course of digestive enzymes.
You can go to any natural health store and they can council you in the proper blend for your age, weight, overall health, etc.
They are not too expensive either

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This year I ground up my own deer meat. Added beef fat, very little, and the deer does not have that game taste. I usually spend $150 at a locker and get a gamie tasting deer. This years meat is great and not sure why. Two doe this year, the buck got away.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
The meat looks darker? I shot a small doe and the meat was pink the old buck was dark red. Is this still due to the above mentioned reasons?
That usually has to do with age AND what they are eating. I have shot some old bucks that had pinkish meats from an island where the diet was mainly moss and lichens. Its all good in the belly.

G79

I shot a really small doe with my bow and that meat is freakin awesome, problem is there isnt much of it! My larger doe taste ok but I think the acid build up due to poor shot pacement tainted the meat a little.

My ten pointers loins were good but the rest is just too gamie.

Next year 3-5 small does for me. Quick clean kills. Good care of meat. Veal baby!

the GUNSHOW

the GUNSHOW

Awards
  • Established
wild pig is my favorite you can get it any time of the year and being in Texas I can go in the backyeard put some hog wild out and in about 20min there's about 5 300lb pigs and about 15 babys

spazface

Banned
Awards
i know source posts are frowned upon, but anyone have a good online source for game meat?

locally there's actually nowhere aside the bison at the supermarket, and it's $$$$

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
i know source posts are frowned upon, but anyone have a good online source for game meat?

locally there's actually nowhere aside the bison at the supermarket, and it's $$$$
You can go to ranches and get a bison or elk etc. whole. You pay a lot less in the long run. Better to hunt it yourself though. :AR15firing:

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
wild pig is my favorite you can get it any time of the year and being in Texas I can go in the backyeard put some hog wild out and in about 20min there's about 5 300lb pigs and about 15 babys
Yea, I sure am jealous about that heh. I would love to have some tasty feral animals to shoot around where I live.

The Dooeug

The Dooeug

Banned
Awards
My neighbor has a buffalo farm and I get all the buffalo patties I want..perfect post workout meal, throw it on the barb and it tastes awesome!!