getting the most protein on a strict budget?

denali7432

Awards
hey guys can any of you suggests the best way to take in the most protein for someone on a tight budget? at the momeny i have a 5lb tub of whey protein which is only 20g of protein a serving..can you guys name some other foods that pack alot of protein that dont cost a arm and a leg?

caliphotog

Awards
Tuna (use it in moderation), Eggs, and chicken are pretty much the cheapest.

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
Dry Curd cottage cheese is around $3.50, and 1/2 a cup has 22 grams of protein.
MK9

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
And Avg. breast of Chk can get you about around 35 grams of protein.
Go to Aldi's or any type place and buy a bag (typ. about 7-8 breasts) of Chk breast for about $5-$7 and cook it on sunday and reheat though out the week.

Also Walmart sells a bag of protein really cheap now days. (If that is not already what your using).

More food= (use in mod.)

Beef
Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken
Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
Drumstick – 11 grams
Wing – 6 grams
Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish
Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork
Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy
Egg, large - 6 grams protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)
Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds
Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
If you have access to a Sams Club they sell a 5lb bag of protein for 30$ It's a good deal in my mind. I don't know where your from but here they sell it. I think everyone else already nailed the best ways to get your protein in but I would also suggest milk 8g of protein per cup as well as natty peanut butter. Good luck!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
milk and eggs are cheap. Use the whole egg, not just the whites

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Sams Club
Chicken Breast - $22
10 cans of tuna- $8
5lbs of whey for 30

Coachese

Coachese

Awards
hey guys can any of you suggests the best way to take in the most protein for someone on a tight budget? at the momeny i have a 5lb tub of whey protein which is only 20g of protein a serving..can you guys name some other foods that pack alot of protein that dont cost a arm and a leg?
Chicken thighs FTW!

elabor

elabor

Awards
This is a great protein and fiber source when money is tight. Slow cooking the gizzards for 8 hrs turns them into very tender chicken morsels.

Gizzards and Lentils
1lb gizzards or hearts ($1.00)
1lb dried lentils ($1.00)
1 small yellow onion ($1.00)
2 cloves garlic
Lawrys Seasoned Salt

Put the gizzards in a crock pot. Coat the gizzards in lawrys. Chop onion and crush garlic, add to the pot. Fill the crock pot to the fill line with water. Cook on low overnight.

The next day, boil the lentils using the contents of the crock pot instead of water. The lentils boil in about 20mins. Season with salt and pepper. Great with hot sauce.

Recipe makes in total:
1360 cal
198g pro
110g fiber
260g carb
4g fat

not bad for ~$5

gainsvillian

gainsvillian

Awards
Sams Club
Chicken Breast - $22
10 cans of tuna- $8
5lbs of whey for 30
I'll second Sam's club. I think he meant chicken breast $2 (per pound). Best deal around. Their whey is good too. EAS 100% whey. $28 for 5 pounds, can't beat it!

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
If you are single then buy the chicken from Sam's like they are suggesting. Buy in bulk and when you get home freeze each one individually. If frozen correctly they will last a while and you don't end up throwing anything out.
Also, if you are a hunter or know someone (I live in Alabama, everyone hunts) see if you can score some free deer meat from someone that just wants to kill a doe, but doesn't want the meat. That there is some good eatin' :) High protein, low fat!

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
93% ground turkey is easy to find for under $2 a pound...

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
warcraft put it pretty well. the gizzards be pretty hardcore... i admire that! catch a sale on 10# bag chicken leg quarters.

tigger3356

Awards
Quinoa is not made from SOY at all. It is a seed. It is considered a psuedo-grain. It cooks just like rice.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Quinoa is not made from SOY at all. It is a seed. It is considered a psuedo-grain. It cooks just like rice.
From what I understand about Quinoa is it is one of the only plants that provide a complete protein. Soy is incomplete meaning that it is lacking in essential aminos and you have to combine it with a complimentary protein.

If I'm wrong, please correct me...but this is what I've found out about it that makes it so much different than any other plant protein.

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
Choclate milk + any kind of cheap protein. Lemke said it best, ify ou have access to a sams club they have amazing prices. Here you can get a 15lb bag of EAS whey protein for $35.00. I mix that with my choclate milk and not only does it taste amazing, it has a good mix of casien and whey protein.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Here you can get a 15lb bag of EAS whey protein for $35.00.
Thats pretty unbelievable lol, 5lb bag is usually $35 here at sams.. but thats a deal of a lifetime if youre getting it for that.

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
Thats pretty unbelievable lol, 5lb bag is usually $35 here at sams.. but thats a deal of a lifetime if youre getting it for that.
lol, 5lbs for $35 is a good price if you ask me, but finding this price at sams came hundred of dollars too late bro lol!

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
I see you just finished a cycle of Testpro today, how was it man??

gainsvillian

gainsvillian

Awards
lol, 5lbs for $35 is a good price if you ask me, but finding this price at sams came hundred of dollars too late bro lol!
Yeah, I get 5lbs at Sams for $27. They don't sell 15lb bags at any Sams I've been to...