Tilapia: Easy to cook, tasty and high in protein

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.

Tilapia: Easy to cook, tasty and high in protein

I have been eating a good amount of Tilapia lately, I was looking for something other then shrimp, turkey and chicken - my primary stapes - and picked some Tilapia up a couple of weeks ago at the market.

Tilapia is about 10 bucks a pound for me, after washing it off and drying it down I put some lemon flaxseed oil on it and just cover it in whatever random spices I feel like, I generally stick with lemon and garlic herb and then just keep throwing more random stuff on it like dill, cilantro, etc. Once done, I throw it in an oven that's been pre-heated to 375 and let it sit for 30 minutes, pull out my two slices (half a pound each) and chow down. SO SIMPLE!

Anyway, I knew it was low in calories but hadn't really realized how high it was in protein until I looked it up just now:

One pound of Tilapia:
    -----------------------------
    Calories: 436
    Total Fat 7.7g 12%
    Sat. Fat 2.6g 13%
    Cholesterol 227mg 76%
    Sodium 236mg 10%
    Total Carbs. 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 91.2g
    Calcium 45.4mg
    Potassium 1372.3mg

For comparison, I also did a steak.

One pound of lean sirloin steak:
    Calories: 854

Total Fat 30g 46%
    Sat. Fat 11.3g 57%
    Cholesterol 300mg 100%
    Sodium 286mg 12%
    Total Carbs. 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 137.6g
    Calcium 77.2mg
    Potassium 1726.7mg

I pulled the numbers using the CalorieKing website.

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.

I like tilapia. I get tired of it because there are only so many ways I can think of to cook it
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Seafoo...lapia/Top.aspx

That link is for the "Top 20" Tilapia recipes, I tried one of them a couple weeks back and it was decent. *shrug* give the site a look.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  165 lbs.

Thanks for the link, xink!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

[QUOTE=xink;2014271]http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Seafoo...lapia/Top.aspx

That link is for the "Top 20" Tilapia recipes, I tried one of them a couple weeks back and it was decent. *shrug* give the site a look. [/QUA

Awesome post dude!!
  6. Registered User

Damn 10 bux a lb seems a lot.

I buy the frozen tilapia fillets from wegmans occasionally, got a ton in my freezer i think its like $8 for like 2 lbs of them.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Variocam View Post
    Damn 10 bux a lb seems a lot.

I buy the frozen tilapia fillets from wegmans occasionally, got a ton in my freezer i think its like $8 for like 2 lbs of them.
    Actually, after I posted that I did a double-check and realized it was $8.00... However, I just found another place by me where I can get a pound for $5.90 - still not touching your price but not bad for me.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.

cover in garlic and herb mrs.dash and spray lemon juice on it....cook at 400 for 15 min....very easy and very good tilapia
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by xink View Post
    Actually, after I posted that I did a double-check and realized it was $8.00... However, I just found another place by me where I can get a pound for $5.90 - still not touching your price but not bad for me.
    I buy a box of 10 lb frozen tilapia for 25 bucks!
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

I remember reading some kind of warning about the Omega fatty acid ratios in Tilapia being less than ideal (too much O-6 IIRC), however not something to worry about with supplementation.

For me, affordable lean fish protein 4tw!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.

* thaw
    * open
    * season
    * throw on lightly oiled pan 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side
    * serve on plate with whatever sides

The whole thing takes me about 8 minutes, it is one of the fastest and easiest meals to fix.
  12. Registered User

If you guys have super-walmarts by you, they usually sell big frozen bags of em with individually vacuum sealed fillets for dirt cheap... I think there's about 10 frozen sealed fillets per bag for under 10 bucks.
  13. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
  14. Registered User

I remembered a short article I read in M&F that talked about this, so I'll post it up for you guys. You can also find a large amount of research debunking the Wake Forest University research via Google. I think I'll keep eating my tilapia thx

The study that caused all the hype came from Wake Forest University (Winston-Salem, North Carolina), and researchers actually claimed that tilapia was more unhealthy than bacon. In the report published in 2008 issue of the journal of the American Dietetic Association, these scientists examined the amounts of different fats such as saturated, omega-3s and omega-6s in several types of fish, including tilapia, salmon, trout and catfish.
    Because tilapia's ratio of omega-3 fatty acids is between 2:1 and 3:1, the researchers concluded that it's a very unhealthy food. After all, a healthy diet should contain a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fats of 1:1 or less. When the ratio is too high, the omega-6s compete with the omega-3s, causing inflammation in the body along with a host of health consequences like cardiovascular disease.
    Tilapia, However, is a very low-fat fish. According to the USDA, 100 grams (about 3.5 ounces) of tilapia supplies less than 2 grams of total fat. Out of that total fat, the Wake Forest researchers say, there's only about 300 mg of omega-3 fats along with 600-900 mg of omega-6 fats. So even when you eat a typical 7-ounce serving of fish, you get just 1,200-1,800 mg of omega-6 fats -far to little to knock your diet into the unhealthy range, especially if you supplement with fish oil as M&F recommends. In fact, in a research editorial in a 2008 issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, William Harris, PhD, Director of the Metabolism and Nutrition Research Center at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine (Sioux Falls), says we shouldn't avoid eating omega-6s -which could actually increase the risk for coronary heart disease -but rather increase omega-3 fat intake.
    So don't listen to the media sensationalism that warns against eating tilapia. It's still a good, low-fat fish. Sure, it doesn't have the fantastic omega-6: omega-3 ratio that salmon does, but there's so little fat in tilapia that it's a nonissue. If you currently supplement with 1-2 grams of fish oil 2-3 times per day with meals, you'll be almost certain to consume a 1:1 ratio of omega-6: omega-3 fats.

Source- M&F, June 2009 issue pg.276
  15. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

NO bias in the above report.....

Considering the popularity of tilapia farms in the "dakotas."
  16. Registered User

Bias or not, you have to see the validity in the articles argument about tilapia's total fat content. Sure, the majority of research shows a higher omega-6 to 3 ratio is unhealthy.
    But tilapia has a pretty low total fat content to begin with. I don't think it takes bias to conclude the ill effects are exaggerated by WFU, and at worst offsetable by supplementation. I do however agree that a ratio similar to tilapia's existing in a food containing a high fat content could potentially be very unhealthy. And if we are taking into consideration the bias of the "Dakotas" and their tilapia farms... We should also consider the potential for bias from the Carolina's fueled by their cattle/pig farms...

"a new study by researchers at the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center (Chilton et al, 2008), suggests that farm-raised tilapia may be worse for your heart than eating bacon or a hamburger."

Anyways still a good article you posted, but im gonna lean towards not being to concerned with tilapias potential health woes. I don't think all concern should be dismissed tho. I'll keep my eye out for any other research I find on the topic.
  17. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Diets w/excessive omega 6 content,ie.Tilapia,interferes w/benefits of omega 3's.
    Increasing the probability of diseases & depression.
    To include:
    Heart attack
    Stroke
    Cancer
    Osteoporosis
    Inflammation

Obviously, the keyword being excessive.
    A serving once a week MAY not be detrimental to one's health.The same can be said for vegetable oil.Used in excess.It being an omega 6 also.

It's also believed in post menopausal women, tilapia may increase the likelihood of breast cancer.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Easy making meals with high calories, Post here
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 05:04 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 10:52 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
  4. High Protein Toastie - Easy To Make
    By WilteredFire in forum Recipes