Tilapia: Easy to cook, tasty and high in protein

xink

Awards
  • Established
I have been eating a good amount of Tilapia lately, I was looking for something other then shrimp, turkey and chicken - my primary stapes - and picked some Tilapia up a couple of weeks ago at the market.

Tilapia is about 10 bucks a pound for me, after washing it off and drying it down I put some lemon flaxseed oil on it and just cover it in whatever random spices I feel like, I generally stick with lemon and garlic herb and then just keep throwing more random stuff on it like dill, cilantro, etc. Once done, I throw it in an oven that's been pre-heated to 375 and let it sit for 30 minutes, pull out my two slices (half a pound each) and chow down. SO SIMPLE!

Anyway, I knew it was low in calories but hadn't really realized how high it was in protein until I looked it up just now:

One pound of Tilapia:
-----------------------------
Calories: 436
Total Fat 7.7g 12%
Sat. Fat 2.6g 13%
Cholesterol 227mg 76%
Sodium 236mg 10%
Total Carbs. 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 91.2g
Calcium 45.4mg
Potassium 1372.3mg

For comparison, I also did a steak.

One pound of lean sirloin steak:
Calories: 854

Total Fat 30g 46%
Sat. Fat 11.3g 57%
Cholesterol 300mg 100%
Sodium 286mg 12%
Total Carbs. 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 137.6g
Calcium 77.2mg
Potassium 1726.7mg

I pulled the numbers using the CalorieKing website.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
I like tilapia. I get tired of it because there are only so many ways I can think of to cook it

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Damn 10 bux a lb seems a lot.

I buy the frozen tilapia fillets from wegmans occasionally, got a ton in my freezer i think its like $8 for like 2 lbs of them.

xink

Awards
  • Established
Damn 10 bux a lb seems a lot.

I buy the frozen tilapia fillets from wegmans occasionally, got a ton in my freezer i think its like $8 for like 2 lbs of them.
Actually, after I posted that I did a double-check and realized it was $8.00... However, I just found another place by me where I can get a pound for $5.90 - still not touching your price but not bad for me.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
cover in garlic and herb mrs.dash and spray lemon juice on it....cook at 400 for 15 min....very easy and very good tilapia

Deadlift3

Deadlift3

Awards
Actually, after I posted that I did a double-check and realized it was $8.00... However, I just found another place by me where I can get a pound for $5.90 - still not touching your price but not bad for me.
I buy a box of 10 lb frozen tilapia for 25 bucks!

Porty

Awards
I remember reading some kind of warning about the Omega fatty acid ratios in Tilapia being less than ideal (too much O-6 IIRC), however not something to worry about with supplementation.

For me, affordable lean fish protein 4tw!

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
* thaw
* open
* season
* throw on lightly oiled pan 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side
* serve on plate with whatever sides

The whole thing takes me about 8 minutes, it is one of the fastest and easiest meals to fix.

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
NO bias in the above report.....

Considering the popularity of tilapia farms in the "dakotas."

H8duke

H8duke

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Diets w/excessive omega 6 content,ie.Tilapia,interferes w/benefits of omega 3's.
Increasing the probability of diseases & depression.
To include:
Heart attack
Stroke
Cancer
Osteoporosis
Inflammation

Obviously, the keyword being excessive.
A serving once a week MAY not be detrimental to one's health.The same can be said for vegetable oil.Used in excess.It being an omega 6 also.

It's also believed in post menopausal women, tilapia may increase the likelihood of breast cancer.