Oats & Whey question

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure this is an FAQ about Oats and whey.

If you mix Whey Protein powder with oats in hot water, does this cause any destruction to the protein?....

Cheers

crazym

Awards
Boiling water I believe would cause the denaturization of whey proteins,
so keep the water temperature touchable and you should be fine.

I base this on denaturization of whey proteins above pasteurization temperatures.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I think that has been debunked before. This is how I prep mine.

1/2 cup old fashioned (not "quick") oats
1 cup water
Microwave 2 mins
Stir in 1 scoop ATW Cinnamon Bun
Good to go!

I'm only using 1/2 cup oats currently as I'm cutting. Most would use 1 cup oats, I assume.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its all about the temp. so if you make the oats, give them a little time to cool down to where they are an edible temp and then add the protein, its likely fine.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
you dont have to cook your oats... I usually grind mine in a blender then mix it in water and add my protein then drink it... other times i'll use warm milk but i never cook my oats!

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
get yourself a bag of oat flour, blends right into a shake.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I grind mine up with a coffee grinder for shakes.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
I take on`s oats and whey, just add some water and it`s done...

JKBB44

Awards
i like throw my 1/2 cup of oats in a blender with my whey and its gtg.

Darb77

Awards
1/2 cup oats, 2 scoops ATW chocolate whey, 1 bananna, some natural peanut butter, skim milk. It tastes freaking AMAZING. I got this blender at Wal-Mart, HAMILTON BEACH PERSONAL BLENER for like 15 bucks and it works awesome! You blend your stuff and drink it right out of the blender and has a travel lid if you want to take it with you.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I cant stand grinding my oats often, I'll grind a few pounds and put in a container then keep it next to my protein and scoop it out daily

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
aiight thanks guys.
so it's safe to mix it AFTER the oats have cooled down a little and are at warm temperature...
I don't blend my oats. Unlike many people, I prefer to eat the oats rather than drink em.

crazym

Awards
I think that has been debunked before.
I have read an article on pasteurization where 82 celsius was used and 34.1% denaturization of whey occurred, instead of the usual 72 celsius where 2.8% dentaurization occurrs, this was in cheese ripening so im not sure how large an effect that had.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Ive always questions this. So what happens to the proteins in a steak, chicken, ground beef when you cook it to temperatures way above that of oatmeal. Nothing. Still works. Bring the broscience.

its all about the temp. so if you make the oats, give them a little time to cool down to where they are an edible temp and then add the protein, its likely fine.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not broscience here. go ahead and pour 8oz of boiling water into a glass that has 1 scoop of protein in it. It will get all gummy and nasty consistency. The thing is that in 30g of protein powder you have 25g of protein. In 30g of chicken, steak, etc you have around 5-6g protein. So the heat affects each differently.

Is the gummy boiled waterprotein still have amino acids in it and give protein value? sure, but it looses some and the texture blows. so sure it "works" by boiling it with the oatmeal, but i'd rather let the oatmeal cool down and not feel like i'm eating a bowl of glue :)

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
"Do not combine carbohydrates and protein alone, this elicits the highest insulin
response. For example, a cup of oatmeal has a moderate insulin response but
when you combine oatmeal with whey protein, you get a much higher response. If
you do combine these, be sure to add a fat source."

Read from... http://www.scivationbooks.com/ - Game Over Vol. 4

-Not saying i agree with this, cause i blend oats with my whey for 1st meal... after cardio. But now im confused...

Last edited:
bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Denatured from cooking means nothing. It gets denatured by stomach acid anyway. The point is mute.

Except the consistency thing; that is quite valid.

time lord

time lord

Awards
the consistency thing will only affect digestion rate. basically what is going on to create that thick, stringy texture is that the heat is breaking down the original chemical bonds (denaturing) the protein, then that same heat is allowing the newly freed amino acids to rebond w/ each other more strongly than before. denatured protein maintains the same amino profile as undenatured protein... YOU ARE NOT MISSING OUT ON ANYTHING... the only thing to consider is that the same heat that denatured that protein has probably allowed to it to rebond more strongly than before, slightly lengthening digestion/absorption rate. this might actually be optimal for oats and whey considering the whey would normally digest faster than the oats. allowing the stuff to thicken up might actually put the digestion times closer in line... something to consider.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Haha, thank you; my bad. :D
Just one of those silly words no one ever gets right.

Just goes to show that I had nothing of value to add here... Good topics though.

I really think drinking oats is a waste when you're trying to restrict carbs. If I only get 100g a day, I want to enjoy them!

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
I take on`s oats and whey, just add some water and it`s done...
Exactly what I was going to say. The simple/lazy mans way! Then again if you are low on cash this is a good thing (I just gave up on this alltogether haha). My solution grab brown rice and a protein shake. fastest meal i know of possible lol