Sunflower Kernels

1. Sunflower Kernels

I was in the store and picked up a package of sunflower kernels and thought they would be a good source of fat, carbs, and protein. Here are the nutritional facts:

Calories 180 Calories from Fat 130
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15g 23%
    Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
    Monounsaturated Fat 3g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 10g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 260mg 11%
    Potassium 210mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 7g 14%

Anyone think this would make a good snack to take a break from eating peanuts?
    Any thoughts???

2. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by lemke28 View Post
    I was in the store and picked up a package of sunflower kernels and thought they would be a good source of fat, carbs, and protein. Here are the nutritional facts:

Calories 180 Calories from Fat 130
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15g 23%
    Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
    Monounsaturated Fat 3g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 10g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 260mg 11%
    Potassium 210mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 7g 14%

Anyone think this would make a good snack to take a break from eating peanuts?
    Any thoughts???
    Sunflower seeds are awesome mate. They make a nice alternative to nuts and are just as healthful. Sunflower seeds are a pretty good source of magnesium (good pre-bed) and are on the 'higher end' of the scale for protein content.

All in all, good snack! Just don't go crazy, they're pretty calorific (unless you're bulking obviously!)
    •   

3. check out Pine nut Kernels. insane amount of good fat, i'll post up the values tomorrow when i can be arsed going down stairs and getting the packet
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”

4. Thanks I will have to look into that I just figured I would try something new to switch things up a bit so I don't get burnt out on peanuts.

5. i mainly eat almonds (been knocking out this 2.5lb tub from costco), sunflower seeds, cashews are all in my regiment. Mainly roasted almonds. I could literally live off just these and cashews.
    •   

6. Sunflower seeds are great because they're so inexpensive for what you get. Next time you should go for the unsalted ones.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

7. yeah i too have been eating almonds.. just snackin in my truck, very nice

8. Quote Originally Posted by biggerthantex View Post
    yeah i too have been eating almonds.. just snackin in my truck, very nice
    wish i had a truck to snack in
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”

9. i love sunflower seeds... i induldge with ranch/dill/ or jim beam bbq ones (amazing but can only have the flavored ones every once and a while)

10. check out sunbutter...
    Basically like peanut butter only made with sunflower seeds.
    7 gr protein per serving
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Natural peanut/almond/sunflower butter + oils
    By EasyEJL in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 12:38 AM
  2. Sunflower Seed Butter
    By ArnoldIsMyIdol in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
  3. How much CLA is found in sunflower seeds?
    By Chuck in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 07:47 PM
  4. Raw shelled sunflower seeds
    By supersoldier in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 12:12 AM