Yams

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I have to eat them now. I hate them. I have only tried one way which is oven baked and then mixed with milk. This is how mexicans eat them. However, much unlike most mexican foods, I hate it. It's ewwy.

Can you guys hook me up with your best recipes and cooking directions?

:grouphug:

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My grandma makes amazing candied yams at Christmas, but that's anything but healthy...

Have you tried baking them, letting them sit overnight in the fridge (makes 'em sweeter somehow) then just microwave with a bit of butter, salt, cinnamon and honey or stevia?
I like yams a lot like that.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
You can bake them or microwave them, top with cinnamon, garlic salt, almond or peanut butter. Dipping them in yogurt is tasty as well.

Yam fries are good too - chop them up, spray on some butter/olive oil spray, then toss with either cinnamon or salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes; if you seasoned with cinnamon, dip them in maple syrup/almond butter. If you seasoned with salt and pepper, dip in ketchup, BBQ sauce, or nothing at all.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
My grandma makes amazing candied yams at Christmas, but that's anything but healthy...

Have you tried baking them, letting them sit overnight in the fridge (makes 'em sweeter somehow) then just microwave with a bit of butter, salt, cinnamon and honey or stevia?
I like yams a lot like that.
I have not. I have never made yams, and I never aspired to. If it wasn't for this tournament I wouldn't either.

What's the step by step on this recipe? Amounts of each ingredient?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I kind of wing it everytime I make them - Preheat oven to 350, scrub the yams clean, set them on a cookie sheet and bake for 35-45min until soft.

Pull 'em out, slice lengthwise and lay open. I use about a 1 1/2 tsp butter, and a light sprinkle of each salt sugar and sweetener. Another yummy topping (if you want to cheat a bit) is too throw mini-marshmallows on top after slicing the yams and broil them for about a minute.

I've also found that slicing them raw into fries and microwaving for about 3min will cook them quick and easy.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Cool. Thanks, but I'm holding you personally accountable if I gag.

Lol.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Ummm... was that some sort of a sick joke? Lol, weirdo.

I'm soooooooooooooooooo tired.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not a joke, I like yams a lot in both ways I suggested.

I was just picturing you gagging and cursing my name and, well, that little bit of sarcasm was the first thing that came up. :D

mightymike

Awards
sounds gross but tastes good. bake yams at 400 degrees for about 35min. slice in half, and top sliced halfs with a coat of peanut butter followed up with another coat of cottage cheese.

SacDIESEL

SacDIESEL

Awards
I Thought I was the only one that used peanut butter with on my yams...YUMM..Try almond butter as well..Sprinkle a little cinnamon and its like dessert...almost

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Resolve, I wrap them in foil and then bake them. Put them in the fridge overnight and they are sweet as he\\. Sprinkle some cinnamon on them after a nuke in the microwave or I will sometimes drop some honey on them. Good stuff for sure...

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I tried the "fries" recipe. It was really difficult to cut them. The chunks that were "fried" were really good, but the ones that were still soft in the middle tasted really different.

Not bad, but not great.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Yams or Sweet potatoes? Most stores list SP as Yams when they are really not. Best ways I have found are soak them in cold water for 20 min after julieneing them or slicing then toss em in a back of cornstarch to lighty coat them. After that i fry them in loive oil till crispy, a bit of pepper seaoning salt and bobs your uncle, taste awesome. Tempura also good when using whole wheat flour. Other than that bake it in halves till soft, mash it up with your fork and some low fat butter/substitute and salt/pepper. I do this with deer or moose steaks and its an awesome side.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Yams specifically. I can't do salt due to weight watching. Thanks I'll try that out.

sonny4753

sonny4753

Awards
Here's the best and quickest way I have ever had a yam, comes out like it's been in the oven for an hour.

Take the yam, scrub it (if you do that), rinse in water, then wrap it up in 3 paper towels, put it in the microwave at 70% for 7 minutes.

Comes out PERFECT.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I asked a dude at the grocery store where the yams were and he pointed me to the sweet potatoes. I was like no man, those are sweet potatoes, where are your yams...he was so confused and thought they were the exact same thing. I was polite, but man, I really had to force myself to be.

lamboruns

Awards
stab a sweet tater 3 times with a fork and nuke it for 2 mins give or take for size. Just like oven baked

lamboruns

Awards
I asked a dude at the grocery store where the yams were and he pointed me to the sweet potatoes. I was like no man, those are sweet potatoes, where are your yams...he was so confused and thought they were the exact same thing. I was polite, but man, I really had to force myself to be.

you in the south? In the south Yams=Sweet Potato to everyone

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I actually really enjoy Steamed Yams. I basically steam the yam till soft/flaky, and then add salt/pepper/fresh butter.

The simple pleasures...

lamboruns

Awards
I grew up in Arkansas and so when i saw Yams i just assumed Sweet Potatos although I am aware of the difference. Hard wired in

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
I really like sweet potato fries with cyanne pepper (or however you spell it). You are totally right about cutting them, its a huge pain in the butt. Thats why I just get canned yams. Speaking of which, I am cutting now, should I not be eating these since there is 16grams of sugar? I was freaking out when I discovered this!

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Plain old butter or (this sounds weird I know) Strawberry Cream Cheese on Yams really hits the spot.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
scrub sweet potato, wrap in wet paper towels, nuke until fork goes in easy. cut open cover with no calorie butter spray and cinnamin. awesome! no extra calories other than potato.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Takes a little longer but

Scrub clean, chop into 2 inch chunks, add to pot and water, boil until soft, mash with fork with added butter, salt, pepper, cinnamon (if desired)

Delicious!

Raptorbh12

Awards
I make all my lunches for the week in advance which include baked skinless chicken breast, cut green beans and mashed sweet potatoes or yams (depends on where i buy them). Meals are usually 360 cals and 44g protein.

Mashed Sweet potatoes:
3-4 large sweet potatoes thrown into large pot filled with water. Use a pot with a lid and cover while you cook on the stove. Cook anywhere from 35-45 minutes on high heat or until forms stab clean through the whole potato easily.
The skin falls off the potatoes at this point and you throw the yams without skin into a mixing bowl where you add 1/4 cup of splenda, 2 tsp cinnamon, 2-3 tbs vanilla extract.
Mix everything together til they are mashed and no longer stingy and you have delicious and sweet mashed sweet potatoes with no added calories.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Recipes 3
Recipes 17