quaker oats - AnabolicMinds.com

quaker oats

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.

quaker oats

any way to spice this stuff up a little? i hate the taste of it and suffer eating it every morning. it' tastes like mushy cardboard, most of the time i just poor milk over it and eat it like cereal. any suggestions on better ways to make it?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.

Just toss it in a protein shake, blend, and enjoy!!!
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

2 cups milk, 1 scoop ATW cinnamon bun
    Recently I've been adding about an ounce of some super juice to it (blend of goji, mangosteen, noni, acai, pomagranate, etc.)
    It adds a little bit of a fruity taste to it that is blends suprisingly well with cinnamon.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'6"  236 lbs.

Use it with a cup of 2% or whole organic milk. Add some xylitol (natural sweetener) or sweet and low (not natural) and enjoy. You can also add some lecithin granules along with flax seeds, but that won't really help the taste much, maybe a little bit. You can also mix half oatmeal/half cereal that you like.
  5. dpfisher

Yeah microwave with milk and your favorite flavor whey, since it has essentially no taste any flavor whey works in it
  6. Board Sponsor

8-12oz of skim milk, serving of oats, and 1-2 scoops of protein. Heaven. I can't stand oatmeal so I have to do this! I use the sugar free that comes in the pouches.
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  224 lbs.

splenda and cinnamon with some ground flax seed. or just use a scoop of whey for sweetness and flavor and high protein.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.

i must diet reallky hard because oatmeal and water is delicious to me.

generally when I mix protein powder, I find that it tastes worse than the two individually, so I rarely do that.

here are the ways I eat it, which will not taste as good as the above stated, but have better health profiles and benefits.

1.) 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (high in antioxidants) + two packets of splenda for 1 cup of dry oatmeal. hot water and you're done!

2.) just oatmeal hot water and ground flax seeds! nutty, and high in omega 3s

3.) some natural form of peanut butter, or "naturally more", the omega 3 peanut butter i usuallky use... a few tablespoons mixed in.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.

1 cup oats
    cinnamon
    1 tablespoon natural PB
    2 scoops whey, chocolate is very good in this
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post
    i must diet reallky hard because oatmeal and water is delicious to me.

generally when I mix protein powder, I find that it tastes worse than the two individually, so I rarely do that.

here are the ways I eat it, which will not taste as good as the above stated, but have better health profiles and benefits.

1.) 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (high in antioxidants) + two packets of splenda for 1 cup of dry oatmeal. hot water and you're done!

2.) just oatmeal hot water and ground flax seeds! nutty, and high in omega 3s

3.) some natural form of peanut butter, or "naturally more", the omega 3 peanut butter i usuallky use... a few tablespoons mixed in.
    i'll have to try the first one probably. i usually mix it up in the blender with peanutbutter protein and a banana or something which is fantastic but the diet i'm following doesn't call for that. it's just 6 eggs and 2 cups oatmeal for breakfast
  11. New Member

Adding in peanut butter, protein powder and/or fruit usually does the trick for me. Even a little cinnamon can go a long way. If you don't like the consistency, try making some protein pancakes.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.

is the quaker instant oatmeal ok to eat? i know it has sugar in it but the first ingredient is whole grain oats.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

I add in a little bit of sugar free maple syrup...
  14. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    is the quaker instant oatmeal ok to eat? i know it has sugar in it but the first ingredient is whole grain oats.
    Sugar is fine unless it's the predominant ingredient in your diet.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AllMaxBrian View Post
    Sugar is fine unless it's the predominant ingredient in your diet.
    i know. people say the instant oatmeal is horrible for u but the 1st ingredient is whole grain oats so i don't know if it defeats the purpose of eating a low glycemic index food
  16. New Member

i know. people say the instant oatmeal is horrible for u but the 1st ingredient is whole grain oats so i don't know if it defeats the purpose of eating a low glycemic index food
    What people don't realize is that the Glycemic Index measures a response to foods eaten by themselves, in a fasted state. It changes when you mix different foods together and when you're eating multiple times per day. That said, sugar isn't as nutrient-rich as other carbohydrates, which is why I'd advise against going overboard with it.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

I like the instant packets, original flavor (unflavored). They are smaller oats than the bulk style and just taste better to me. I mix fruity (i.e.strawberry) protien powder and splenda for flavoring and then add the hot water.

I also LOVE this one:
    Mix one packet with 1-1.5 scoops of choc. protien (I like Dymatize cafe mocha) and a good amount of splenda. Add all the natural pb you feel comfortable with (depending on dieting goals, gobs if you can use the calories) and mix with a wisk until evenly distributed. Add the smallest amount of skim milk you can to get it to mix together. You end up with like a no-bake cookie dough. I just eat it by the spoonful.
    Freakin delicious.
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

handful of blue berries and pure honey
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by redemption79 View Post
    I like the instant packets, original flavor (unflavored). They are smaller oats than the bulk style and just taste better to me. I mix fruity (i.e.strawberry) protien powder and splenda for flavoring and then add the hot water.

I also LOVE this one:
    Mix one packet with 1-1.5 scoops of choc. protien (I like Dymatize cafe mocha) and a good amount of splenda. Add all the natural pb you feel comfortable with (depending on dieting goals, gobs if you can use the calories) and mix with a wisk until evenly distributed. Add the smallest amount of skim milk you can to get it to mix together. You end up with like a no-bake cookie dough. I just eat it by the spoonful.
    Freakin delicious.
    This sounds great. I think PB and Oats were a match made in heaven. I like to use Dark Chocolate Dreams PB in my oats.
  20. New Member

why would instant oatmeal be bad for u? i've never heard that
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

***E Greek Yogurt - 0% fat
    Protein
    Oats

Stir and enjoy. It is amazing!!
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gstyle24 View Post
    why would instant oatmeal be bad for u? i've never heard that
    Supposedly the process they use to make them instant increases the GI significantly.
  23. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Supposedly the process they use to make them instant increases the GI significantly.
    and GI is?
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

and GI is?
    Glycemic index. In this case, I'm referring to this food's place on the glycemic index.
  25. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Glycemic index. In this case, I'm referring to this food's place on the glycemic index.
    ok so whats bad about glycemic index... does it have anything to do with acid reflux? cause i notice i get a reaction of acid reflux after i eat instant oatmeal
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.

ok so whats bad about glycemic index... does it have anything to do with acid reflux? cause i notice i get a reaction of acid reflux after i eat instant oatmeal
    the glycemic index measures basically the insulin response to food. refined sugar causes a instant high spike in insulin and whole grains are a more gradual release... fiber can also help slow the absorbtion and that's where impact carbs come from i think in the atkins diet. subtracting fiber from carbs.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

like what others have said, I just measure out the water(or milk), put that in a mixer, mix it up with protein, pop it in the microwave, then eat. It kind of reminds me of grandma's home-cooked pudding, if made properly.
  28. New Member

Honey, splenda, protein powder
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Like the majority of the people have said, I mix:

about two cups of milk
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    2 scoops (big spoon)Natural Chunky Peanut Butter
    1 scoop protein
    1/2 of a banana

Not only is this a good way to eat your oatmeal but it is a very good mass gainer and the peanut butter act's as a slow release protein. I gave my co-worker this back in November and he has put on about 10 lbs of lean muscle. This will pack it on you! I had to back off of it because I gained really (too)fast.
  30. New Member

Cocoa powder and splenda work too, that's pretty simple. Or just sprinkle some semi-sweet chocolate chips in there and stir them around so they melt a little
  31. New Member

toss them in with a protein shake and blend them all together.. thats what has worked best for me so far
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  246 lbs.

I get the banana bread flavor, put it in the blender along with a cup of milk scoop of whey and a scoop of pb. Thats breakfast....Havent done that in a while tho.
  33. New Member

Im with the protein and pb crowd.

1/2 cup oats (old fashioned)
    1 scoop protein (I like ON Nitro Core 24 - chocolate version-friggin delish)
    2tbsp pb

Also adding a banana or blueberries is a great addition.
  34. New Member

I have eaten oatmeal almost every morning for years. It doesn't exactly stimulate the taste buds but, it tastes OK to me. This is how I do it:

1. I eat Coach's Oats (Costco carries it). It is 100% oatmeal, but isn't mushy or pasty when cooked. It is microwavable.
    2. I add a scoop of All the Whey protein isolate (I use vanilla flavor), which includes splenda. That sweetens the oatmeal enough for me.
    3. I toss in a handful of fresh blueberries. Blueberries add flavor and have great nutritional properties.

Some posts above dealt with the glycemic load. For those of you who aren't aware, this was popularized by Barry Sears in his Zone books. I follow the zone diet and it works for me.
  35. LT*
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.

After years of eating Quaker oats with some kind of protein powder, fiber one, nuts (almonds or walnuts), Splenda, and frozen wild blueberries (added after cooking), I tried some steel cut oats. If you've never tried them, they are completely different than rolled or crushed oats. They are much more creamy, and almost have a crunch to them. With rolled oats, I would have to add 2 packets of splenda to make them sweet enough, but with the steel cut oats, I use no Splenda at all. I've been using ON's Nitro-Core 24 cinnamon flavor with them along with the rest of my usual additions, and it's like I found a whole new breakfast. They do take time to cook, but I usually cook enough for 3 days at a time. They really seem to satisfy hunger a lot longer too. Try them, you'll be happy you did.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  179 lbs.

I mix mine in with Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt and throw in ground flax too!

Something else I do from time-to-time is mix in natural PB, oats, ground flax and an extra ripe banana, after they're all mixed I put it in the fridge and just take chunks out of it throughout the week - it's ridiculously good!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Quaker oatmeal pankcake mix
    By Chubbinmuffin in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 08:44 PM
  2. Quaker Instant Oats
    By Ole Skl in forum Recipes
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 06:58 PM
  3. "Weight Control" Quaker Instant Oatmeal - Splenda
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Nutrition / Health