quaker oats

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
any way to spice this stuff up a little? i hate the taste of it and suffer eating it every morning. it' tastes like mushy cardboard, most of the time i just poor milk over it and eat it like cereal. any suggestions on better ways to make it?

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
Just toss it in a protein shake, blend, and enjoy!!!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
2 cups milk, 1 scoop ATW cinnamon bun
Recently I've been adding about an ounce of some super juice to it (blend of goji, mangosteen, noni, acai, pomagranate, etc.)
It adds a little bit of a fruity taste to it that is blends suprisingly well with cinnamon.

stefang

Awards
Use it with a cup of 2% or whole organic milk. Add some xylitol (natural sweetener) or sweet and low (not natural) and enjoy. You can also add some lecithin granules along with flax seeds, but that won't really help the taste much, maybe a little bit. You can also mix half oatmeal/half cereal that you like.

dpfisher

Yeah microwave with milk and your favorite flavor whey, since it has essentially no taste any flavor whey works in it

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
8-12oz of skim milk, serving of oats, and 1-2 scoops of protein. Heaven. I can't stand oatmeal so I have to do this! I use the sugar free that comes in the pouches.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
splenda and cinnamon with some ground flax seed. or just use a scoop of whey for sweetness and flavor and high protein.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
i must diet reallky hard because oatmeal and water is delicious to me.

generally when I mix protein powder, I find that it tastes worse than the two individually, so I rarely do that.

here are the ways I eat it, which will not taste as good as the above stated, but have better health profiles and benefits.

1.) 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (high in antioxidants) + two packets of splenda for 1 cup of dry oatmeal. hot water and you're done!

2.) just oatmeal hot water and ground flax seeds! nutty, and high in omega 3s

3.) some natural form of peanut butter, or "naturally more", the omega 3 peanut butter i usuallky use... a few tablespoons mixed in.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
1 cup oats
cinnamon
1 tablespoon natural PB
2 scoops whey, chocolate is very good in this

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
i must diet reallky hard because oatmeal and water is delicious to me.

generally when I mix protein powder, I find that it tastes worse than the two individually, so I rarely do that.

here are the ways I eat it, which will not taste as good as the above stated, but have better health profiles and benefits.

1.) 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (high in antioxidants) + two packets of splenda for 1 cup of dry oatmeal. hot water and you're done!

2.) just oatmeal hot water and ground flax seeds! nutty, and high in omega 3s

3.) some natural form of peanut butter, or "naturally more", the omega 3 peanut butter i usuallky use... a few tablespoons mixed in.
i'll have to try the first one probably. i usually mix it up in the blender with peanutbutter protein and a banana or something which is fantastic but the diet i'm following doesn't call for that. it's just 6 eggs and 2 cups oatmeal for breakfast

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Adding in peanut butter, protein powder and/or fruit usually does the trick for me. Even a little cinnamon can go a long way. If you don't like the consistency, try making some protein pancakes.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
is the quaker instant oatmeal ok to eat? i know it has sugar in it but the first ingredient is whole grain oats.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I add in a little bit of sugar free maple syrup...

AllMaxBrian

Awards
is the quaker instant oatmeal ok to eat? i know it has sugar in it but the first ingredient is whole grain oats.
Sugar is fine unless it's the predominant ingredient in your diet.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
Sugar is fine unless it's the predominant ingredient in your diet.
i know. people say the instant oatmeal is horrible for u but the 1st ingredient is whole grain oats so i don't know if it defeats the purpose of eating a low glycemic index food

AllMaxBrian

Awards
i know. people say the instant oatmeal is horrible for u but the 1st ingredient is whole grain oats so i don't know if it defeats the purpose of eating a low glycemic index food
What people don't realize is that the Glycemic Index measures a response to foods eaten by themselves, in a fasted state. It changes when you mix different foods together and when you're eating multiple times per day. That said, sugar isn't as nutrient-rich as other carbohydrates, which is why I'd advise against going overboard with it.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
I like the instant packets, original flavor (unflavored). They are smaller oats than the bulk style and just taste better to me. I mix fruity (i.e.strawberry) protien powder and splenda for flavoring and then add the hot water.

I also LOVE this one:
Mix one packet with 1-1.5 scoops of choc. protien (I like Dymatize cafe mocha) and a good amount of splenda. Add all the natural pb you feel comfortable with (depending on dieting goals, gobs if you can use the calories) and mix with a wisk until evenly distributed. Add the smallest amount of skim milk you can to get it to mix together. You end up with like a no-bake cookie dough. I just eat it by the spoonful.
Freakin delicious.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I like the instant packets, original flavor (unflavored). They are smaller oats than the bulk style and just taste better to me. I mix fruity (i.e.strawberry) protien powder and splenda for flavoring and then add the hot water.

I also LOVE this one:
Mix one packet with 1-1.5 scoops of choc. protien (I like Dymatize cafe mocha) and a good amount of splenda. Add all the natural pb you feel comfortable with (depending on dieting goals, gobs if you can use the calories) and mix with a wisk until evenly distributed. Add the smallest amount of skim milk you can to get it to mix together. You end up with like a no-bake cookie dough. I just eat it by the spoonful.
Freakin delicious.
This sounds great. I think PB and Oats were a match made in heaven. I like to use Dark Chocolate Dreams PB in my oats.

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
why would instant oatmeal be bad for u? i've never heard that

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
FAGE Greek Yogurt - 0% fat
Protein
Oats

Stir and enjoy. It is amazing!!

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
Glycemic index. In this case, I'm referring to this food's place on the glycemic index.
ok so whats bad about glycemic index... does it have anything to do with acid reflux? cause i notice i get a reaction of acid reflux after i eat instant oatmeal

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
ok so whats bad about glycemic index... does it have anything to do with acid reflux? cause i notice i get a reaction of acid reflux after i eat instant oatmeal
the glycemic index measures basically the insulin response to food. refined sugar causes a instant high spike in insulin and whole grains are a more gradual release... fiber can also help slow the absorbtion and that's where impact carbs come from i think in the atkins diet. subtracting fiber from carbs.

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
like what others have said, I just measure out the water(or milk), put that in a mixer, mix it up with protein, pop it in the microwave, then eat. It kind of reminds me of grandma's home-cooked pudding, if made properly.

aries70

aries70

Awards
Like the majority of the people have said, I mix:

about two cups of milk
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 scoops (big spoon)Natural Chunky Peanut Butter
1 scoop protein
1/2 of a banana

Not only is this a good way to eat your oatmeal but it is a very good mass gainer and the peanut butter act's as a slow release protein. I gave my co-worker this back in November and he has put on about 10 lbs of lean muscle. This will pack it on you! I had to back off of it because I gained really (too)fast.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Cocoa powder and splenda work too, that's pretty simple. Or just sprinkle some semi-sweet chocolate chips in there and stir them around so they melt a little :)

bigthick44

Awards
toss them in with a protein shake and blend them all together.. thats what has worked best for me so far

snyper2k2

Awards
I get the banana bread flavor, put it in the blender along with a cup of milk scoop of whey and a scoop of pb. Thats breakfast....Havent done that in a while tho.

king6083

Awards
Im with the protein and pb crowd.

1/2 cup oats (old fashioned)
1 scoop protein (I like ON Nitro Core 24 - chocolate version-friggin delish)
2tbsp pb

Also adding a banana or blueberries is a great addition.

GuyinLA

Awards
I have eaten oatmeal almost every morning for years. It doesn't exactly stimulate the taste buds but, it tastes OK to me. This is how I do it:

1. I eat Coach's Oats (Costco carries it). It is 100% oatmeal, but isn't mushy or pasty when cooked. It is microwavable.
2. I add a scoop of All the Whey protein isolate (I use vanilla flavor), which includes splenda. That sweetens the oatmeal enough for me.
3. I toss in a handful of fresh blueberries. Blueberries add flavor and have great nutritional properties.

Some posts above dealt with the glycemic load. For those of you who aren't aware, this was popularized by Barry Sears in his Zone books. I follow the zone diet and it works for me.

LT*

LT*

Awards
  • Established
After years of eating Quaker oats with some kind of protein powder, fiber one, nuts (almonds or walnuts), Splenda, and frozen wild blueberries (added after cooking), I tried some steel cut oats. If you've never tried them, they are completely different than rolled or crushed oats. They are much more creamy, and almost have a crunch to them. With rolled oats, I would have to add 2 packets of splenda to make them sweet enough, but with the steel cut oats, I use no Splenda at all. I've been using ON's Nitro-Core 24 cinnamon flavor with them along with the rest of my usual additions, and it's like I found a whole new breakfast. They do take time to cook, but I usually cook enough for 3 days at a time. They really seem to satisfy hunger a lot longer too. Try them, you'll be happy you did.

xink

Awards
  • Established
I mix mine in with Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt and throw in ground flax too!

Something else I do from time-to-time is mix in natural PB, oats, ground flax and an extra ripe banana, after they're all mixed I put it in the fridge and just take chunks out of it throughout the week - it's ridiculously good!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jm88888 Recipes 6
Chubbinmuffin Nutrition / Health 5
Ole Skl Recipes 25
Nutrition / Health 18
DmitryWI Weight Loss 43