Curry Chicken...

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I guess you could sub out some of this stuff for a healthier version, but here is the original.

24oz (4 6oz pieces) pre cooked chicken breasts

1/2 teaspoon red curry powder

coarse salt and ground pepper

2 tablespoons plus one teaspoon veg oil

2 packed cups of cilantro leaves

1/2 teaspoon grated peeled ginger

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

t tablespoon rice vinegar

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 shallot, chopped 1 teaspoon tumeric

3/4 cup coconut milk

1 cup basmati rice

Sprinkle chicken with curry powder, season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon oil over medium-low. Add chicken
and cook until golden and opaque throughout. 30-35 minutes, turning once.

In a blender, combine 1 tablespoon oil, cilantro, ginger, lime juice,
vinegar, sugar, and 3 tablespoons of water. Puree until smooth; set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium. Add shallot
and tumeric; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionaly, until
shallot begins to soften, 1-2 minutes. Add cocnut milk and 1 cup water;
bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover,
and cook until rice is tender, 12-14 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let
stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork just before serving. Serve
rice topped with chicken and drizzled with sauce.

Serves 4

Per serving: 489 calories, 32g of protein, 21g of fat, 44 carbs, and 1g of fiber.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I use the pre-made green curry paste. I get mine at a hole-in-the wall asian market, but you can get it in the asian food section of your grocery store. Light Coconut milk is pretty much the same in flavor, and you can use brown rice instead of basmati.

The paste keeps you from having to by all of the individual spices.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I use the pre-made green curry paste. I get mine at a hole-in-the wall asian market, but you can get it in the asian food section of your grocery store. Light Coconut milk is pretty much the same in flavor, and you can use brown rice instead of basmati.

The paste keeps you from having to by all of the individual spices.
I will be sure to keep an eye out for it. Is it the same stuff they use at the take out places? That is what I was looking for!

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
My friend gave me a can and told me where to buy it, it's called MAESRI; you can find the WorldFood brand at the grocery store. My friend is a sushi chef at a high end thai restaurant he said that's exactly what they use.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My friend gave me a can and told me where to buy it, it's called MAESRI; you can find the WorldFood brand at the grocery store. My friend is a sushi chef at a high end thai restaurant he said that's exactly what they use.
Awesome! Looks like we are the only two here that like the stuff! :bigeyes:

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
I'm half Thai. Always eating curry chicken and stir fry. I've never seen it made like that, but I think I'll have to try it. Looks pretty good!

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
i crack open a few DTHC capsules and put them in my curry

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just happened to have chicken curry tonight

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
Hello almost 3 years ago.
Hello. So what? Just because it's three years old doesn't mean I've seen it before. I'm aware that it was old. I can read, and I know how to read a date stamp. Obviously if you took the time to read my join date, you'd know I wasn't here three years ago. Thank you for the input, however.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
You're welcome. Since you're here, how was the curry? Was that the recipe you followed?

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
You're welcome. Since you're here, how was the curry? Was that the recipe you followed?
Yes, actually I did. I left out the rice vinegar, but I think I ended up using everything else. I cut back on the cilantro a bit too because too much tends to give me heartburn. Otherwise it was actually pretty good. Not something I'd want every day but good. Believe it or not, that was tonights dinner, and left-overs will be tomorrows lunch.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, odd that cilantro gives you heartburn, but 2 packed cups is a lot. I usually just make it with green beans and chicken. Sautee a little minced garlic in the pan, toss in the chicken and curry paste, then the beans. Pretty easy. Just so burned out on Asian food.

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
Hmm, odd that cilantro gives you heartburn, but 2 packed cups is a lot. I usually just make it with green beans and chicken. Sautee a little minced garlic in the pan, toss in the chicken and curry paste, then the beans. Pretty easy. Just so burned out on Asian food.
Yeah, I don't know why that is because there are not many things that give me heartburn, at all, but cilantro does in high amounts, and I thought two cups was too much anyway so I cut it in half. Thanks for the idea. I will definitely try that next time. I was burnt out on the Asian food for awhile myself, but after a long break I found myself eating it a lot more lately. I don't think I've had any curry dishes in quite some time, and feel I've been missing out a little.