ZONE Meal of the Week Pt 1

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ZONE Meal of the Week

I decided I would post a "Zone meal of the week" for everyone. I will get this started by offering up 2 meals of the week however, just because I like you all. For those unfamiliar with the Zone here are two links to help fill you in on it and nutrition in general. Hope you enjoy this and please fell free to comment to help keep this bumped for people to enjoy, because chicken and tuna gets old.

http://www.crossfitalexandria.com/www.crossfitalexandria.com/Home/Entries/2009/1/19_A_Pound_and_a_Half_files/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/92572-fuel-talk-pt.html

The ZonePerfect Nutrition Program

http://robbwolf.com/?p=417 " The Zone, adequate protein?"

Zone Meal #1

People often worry that when they start a diet they will have to give up flavor. Since "The Zone" does not prohibit any foods this is not the case.

Take for example this meal:

Broiled Salmon with Herb Mustard Glaze Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

with

Sesame Grilled Asparagus Recipe : : Food Network

add some avocado and fruit and it becomes a delicious Zone meal.

2 Block Version:

3 oz. salmon, 12 asparagus spears, 1 kiwi or 1 plum, 2 tablespoons avocado.

3 Block Version: (Pictured)

4.5 oz. salmon, 12 asparagus spears, 1 kiwi and 1 plum, 3 tablespoons avocado.

4 Block Version:

6 oz. salmon, 24 asparagus spears, 1 kiwi and 1 plum, 4 tablespoons avocado.

5 Block Version:

7.5 oz. salmon, 12 asparagus spears, 2 kiwis and 1 plum, 5 tablespoons avocado.

Enjoy!!

Zone Meal #2 - The Zone Milk Shake

When presented with “The Zone” diet, people often say that they can not give up sweets. Here is a snack that allows you to indulge yourself while not straying too far from the recommended parameters.

This chocolate milk shake is made from 4 ingredients: Hood Carb Countdown Chocolate Milk (8 g protein, 4g carbohydrate, 5g fat per cup), Bryers Carb Smart Vanilla Ice Cream (4g protein, 8g carbohydrate, 16g fat per cup), Protein Powder (7g protein, 1g carbohydrate, <1g fat per tablespoon), and Carnation Malted Milk Powder (<1g protein, 5g carbohydrate, <1g fat per tablespoon).

2 block version: 1 cup milk, 1 cup ice cream, 1 teaspoon protein powder, 1
tablespoon malted milk powder (14 g protein, 17g carbohydrate, 21g fat)

3 block version: 1 cup milk, 1 cup ice cream, 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon
protein powder, 3 tablespoons malted milk powder (21 g protein, 28g
carbohydrate, 21g fat)

4 block version: 1 cup milk, 1 cup ice cream, 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon
protein powder, 4 tablespoons malted milk powder (28 g protein, 34g
carbohydrate, 21g fat)

5 block version: 1 cup milk, 1 cup ice cream, 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon
protein powder, 6 tablespoons malted milk powder (35 g protein, 45g
carbohydrate, 21g fat)

First add the milk to the blender then add the powdered ingredients and blend until smooth. Once smooth, add the ice cream and blend just until incorporated. Serve immediately.

The sugar in the malted milk blocks any Splenda aftertaste, so there is very little “diet flavor”. You wouldn’t want to have this everyday, as it is lacking in micro-nutrients and a little high in fat, but it beats the original version by a long shot, and based on the numbers, is a reasonable Zone snack. If you aren't into chocolate, substitute regular Carb Countdown milk and add your favorite flavor of protein powder. Enjoy!

Zone Meal #3 One Bowl Lunch To Go

3 oz. cooked chicken breast, diced (leftover from dinner the night before)[3P]
2 c. mixed salad greens--(freebie)
1 whole Granny Smith apple, diced [2C]
2 tbsp. Ken's Light Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette Dressing (it's a guilty pleasure)[2F, 1C]
1 1/2 tsp. slivered almonds [1F]

Place salad greens, chicken, apple, and almonds in a sealable bowl (like Zip lock or Tupperware).

Keep dressing separate until ready to mix (I use the Tupperware Midgets containers. They look like little cups with lids, and they hold only 2 oz. of dressing!)

Pour dressing over salad mix, re-seal, and shake to mix dressing. Enjoy!

Zone Meal #4 - Zone friendly Super Bowl Snacks

Just because you are watching the game doesn't mean that your nutrition concerns need to go on hiatus. It also doesn't mean that you need to suffer through cardboard flavored rice cakes. I wanted to share something simple and delicious that could be enjoyed while watching the Cardinals stomp out the Steelers, but still be Zone friendly.

First, you have fruit cubes wrapped in strips of ham.

5 of the cantaloupe or honeydew made 1 block of CHO and 1 block of PRO

3 of the pineapple made 1 block of CHO and 1 block of PRO

Because 1oz of ham= 1 block of PRO, I take a single slice of ham (roughly 1oz) and split it into strips of 5 for the melons and 3 for the pineapple.

Held together with a toothpick they make for good finger food. People seem to like them and the pineapple goes especially quick.

The second dish is a little harder to calculate the blocks, but is still really good and should be close enough for government work to being balanced.

I do a yogurt dip using Stonyfield low fat plain yogurt (1/2 cup= 1block PRO & 1block CHO). You have a choice between apples, (1/2 an apple= 1 block CHO) strawberries, (1cup= 1block CHO) and pieces of grilled chicken (1oz=1block PRO) to dip in either crushed walnuts (1/2tsp=1block FAT) or roasted pepitas (1/2Tbsp=1block FAT). I don't worry to much about how many fat blocks I was take in. However many nuts the yogurt holds to the fruit or chicken is good. I suppose you can put measured blocks onto a plate and used that to dip the yogurt covered fruit into. What I do is try to eat the chicken with the walnuts because they were a little higher in CHO and to eat the fruit with the pepitas because they were a little higher in PRO. I feel this helps to keep the snacks hormonally balanced.

This is all pretty easy to make and doesn't cost too much more than a couple of pizzas to feed a group of 9. I hope all you athletes get something from this and even these recipes a try for the big game on Sunday.

Zone Meal #5 Taco's

Tacos in 10 minutes from start to finish!
Think Mexican food is a no-no on the Zone diet? You won't believe how good these Zone friendly tacos taste!! These tacos are fast and super easy. All you need are the following ingredients: Pre-cooked pork or beef in Au Jus (Try Hormel or Tyson brands), 1 tsp of cumin, a few pinches of Cayenne pepper, 4 tablespoons of cilantro, 1/3 cup of onion, tomato(s), lime wedges, guacamole (pre-made) or smash up your own avocado), Mission Carb Balance Fajita Tortillas (5 grams of carbs per tortilla--Believe me, these things taste super good!)

Warm-up the meat in the microwave. While the meat is heating, chop the onion, tomato, cilantro, and lime. When the meat is finished, add the cumin and a few pinches of Cayenne pepper to taste. Warm the tortillas on a hot griddle or over a low flame directly on the stove burner. BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE THIS METHOD!
Combine the ingredients using the following Zone block suggestions:

2 Block Meal
2 oz. pork or beef (protein); 2 teaspoons of guacamole (fat); 2 fajita-size tortillas (1 block carbs), 1/2 tomato, 1 splash of lime, 2 tsp of onion and 2 tablespoons of cilantro (1/2 block carbs) add 1/2 block of fruit to round out two blocks of carbs.

3 Block Meal
3 oz. pork or beef (protein); 3 tablespoon of guacamole (fat); 3 fajita-size tortillas (1 1/2 blocks carbs), 1/2 tomato, 1 splash of lime, 2 tsp of onion and 2 tablespoons of cilantro (1/2 block carbs) add 1 block of fruit to round out three blocks of carbs.

4 Block Meal
4 oz. pork or beef (protein); 4 tablespoons of guacamole (fat); 3 fajita-size tortillas (1 1/2 blocks carbs), 1/2 tomato, 1 splash of lime, 2 tsp of onion and 2 tablespoons of cilantro (1/2 block carbs) add 2 blocks of fruit to round out four blocks of carbs...or if you want a beer with your Mexican, every 8 oz is one block.

5 Block Meal
5 oz. pork or beef (protein); 5 tablespoons of guacamole (fat); 4 fajita-size tortillas (2 blocks carbs), 1small tomato, 2-3 wedges of lime, 1/2 cup of onion and 4 tablespoons of cilantro (3/4 block carbs) add 2 1/4 blocks of fruit to round out four blocks of carbs...or if you want a beer with your Mexican, every 8 oz is one block.

What would the USDA think?

Zone Meal #6 Stracoto with Porcini Mushrooms and Cesar Salad with Fresh Croutons

Stracoto with Porcini Mushrooms and Cesar Salad with Fresh Croutons

Stracoto with Porcini Mushrooms Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

Cesar Salad (Store Bought “Lite” Cesar Salad Kit with croutons thrown out)

Fresh Croutons
If you are going to have unfavorable carbohydrates, it works best to pair them with low glycemic index vegetables so you get enough volume to eat. It is also worth it to make sure that they taste good so that you haven’t wasted your time. That is why I threw out the store bought croutons and made my own for this meal.

Use your favorite French or Italian style bread (I used bread with whole cloves of garlic baked in.

Cut into ¾ inch cubes, Place in bowl, Drizzle very lightly with olive oil, Toss to distribute, Toast under broiler to desired doneness (2-5 minutes), turning midway through cooking time. (Watch Closely)

My Croutons ended up being about ¼ oz. each.

2 Block Meal
2 oz. beef, 1 tablespoons of sauce, entire bag of salad with ¾ oz. of cooked croutons

3 Block Meal (Pictured)
3 oz. beef, 1 tablespoons of sauce, entire bag of salad with 1 oz. of cooked croutons

4 Block Meal
4 oz. beef, 2 tablespoons of sauce, entire bag of salad with 2 oz. of cooked croutons

5 Block Meal
5 oz. beef, 2 tablespoons of sauce, entire bag of salad with 2.5 oz. of cooked croutons

Zone Meal #7 Rack of Lamb with Mint-Basil Pesto

Spring is almost here!! There are so many great varieties of fruits and vegetables becoming available at the market. So, there is no excuse not to stock up on fruits and vegetables during your weekly visit. Another great item available is spring lamb. This week's meal is wonderful if you are looking for a fresh tasting dinner for two. The main course is a lamb chop with mint pesto sauce, a side of steamed artichoke and for desert strawberries with a balsamic vinegar sauce.

Directions:
1. Start by making the pesto. I use a great recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. Follow this link -> Rack of Lamb with Mint-Basil Pesto Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network
This recipe calls for a rack of lamb, but I used a lamb chop and grilled it 4-5 minutes on each side.
2. Next prepare the artichoke by removing all of the tough outter leaves and trimming the stem. Steam it for about 15-20 minutes depending on the size. It should be fork tender at the base of the stem (heart).
3. While the artichoke is cooking, prepare the strawberries by removing the stems and slicing them in quarters.
4. To make the balsamic vinegar sauce, simmer 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar about 5 minutes until it has reduced into a sweet semi-thick sauce. Cool slightly and pour over the strawberries.
5. After the lamb has reached 170 degrees internal temp, let it rest for 5 minutes and top with a tablespoon of the pesto. Serve the artichoke with a tsp of butter, and the strawberries with a tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar sauce. Follow the Zone suggestions below:

2 Block Meal
2 oz. lamb (protein); 2 teaspoons of the pesto (fat); 1 small artichoke or 1/2 of a large one; 1/2 cup of straberries and 1.5 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar (carbs).

3 Block Meal
3 oz. lamb (protein); 1tablespoon of the pesto (fat); 1 small artichoke or 1/2 of a large one; 1 cup of straberries and 1.5 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar (carbs).

4 Block Meal (pictured)
4 oz. lamb (protein); 1.5 tablespoons of the pesto (fat); 1 small artichoke or 1/2 of a large one; 1 cup of straberries, 1 kiwi and 1.5 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar (carbs).

5 Block Meal
5 oz. lamb (protein); 2 tablespoons of the pesto (fat); 1 small artichoke or 1/2 of a large one; 2 cup of straberries, 1 kiwi and 1.5 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar (carbs).

Enjoy!

Zone Meal # 8: Barbecue Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Recipe -> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/barbecued-chinese-chicken-lettuce-wraps-recipe/index.html

Follow the recipe, but cook the chicken all the way through the first time. Keep the chicken separate from the vegetables so that you can weigh it according to your block perscription. When you are ready to serve, combine it with the vegetables, add some soy sauce to taste and garnish with fresh cilantro. My wife and I found that the dish tastes much better with soy sauce!

It is recommended to add some cashews because this dish has very little fat.

2 Block Meal
2 oz. chicken, 2 cups of vegetable mix, 6 cashews

3 Block Meal
3 oz. chicken, 2 cups of vegetable mix, 9 cashews, and half of an orange

4 Block Meal
4 oz. chicken, 2 cups of vegetable mix, 12 cashews and one orange

5 Block Meal
5 oz. chicken , 3 cups of vegetable mix, 15 cashews and one orange

Enjoy!!

Zone Meal #9: Red Snapper Livornese with Avocado Salsa

For a 3 block and 5 block meal you will need:
12-14 oz Red Snapper
Salt
Pepper
Non-stick cooking spray

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup dry white wine
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons capers
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or flat leaf parsley
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped

Lightly coat a non-stick skillet with a non-stick cooking spray of your choice. Salt and pepper fish to taste and cook on one side for 3-4 minutes. Flip the fish and continue cooking until done. About 2 to 3 more minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate and keep in a warm oven.
Return the skillet to the heat and add olive oil. Saute the garlic for a minute or two and add wine. Reduce the wine by half and add tomato sauce, tomatoes, capers and cilantro or parsley. Heat through for another 2 or 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the fish and serve with Avocado Salsa.

Avocado salsa: Chop two ripe avocados, add salt and peper to taste. Add the juice of one lime and a 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro. Combine a finely chopped tomato and for extra kick a seeded and minced jalapeno to the avocado mixture. Serve along side the Snapper.

3 block meal:
protein: 4.5 oz of cooked fish; carbs: 1/2 cup sauce (1 block ), 1/2 cup grapes (1 block ), 4-6oz of wine (1block); fat: 3 tablespoons of avocado salsa (3 blocks)

5 block meal:
protein: 7.5 oz of cooked fish; carbs: 1 cup sauce (2 blocks), 1 cup grapes (2 blocks), 4-6 oz of wine (1 block);
fat: 5 tablespoons of avocado salsa (5 blocks)

Enjoy!!

Zone Meal #10: Steak Florentine

Fire up the grill!!!! Summer is closing in and it's time get outside for a fabulous Bar-B-Que Zone style! Try this wonderful T-bone steak and grilled vegetables of yellow squash, zucchini, Japanese eggplant, mushrooms, green onions, asparagus and bell peppers. Drizzled with a tangy balsamic herb vinaigrette, this quick and easy outdoor bar-b-que delight won't leaving you wishing you had grilled burgers instead!

Follow link for recipe -> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/steak-florentine-recipe/index.html

Cooked vegetable block conversions:

Bell pepper = 1 and 1/4 cup per block
Yellow squash = 1 and 1/4 cup per block
Zucchini = 1 and 1/3 cup per block
Eggplant = 1 and 1/2 cup per block
Mushrooms = 1 and 1/2 cups per block
Asparagus = 12 spears per block
Green onion = 1/2 cup per block

2 Block Meal
2 oz. steak (protein), mix and match your own veg for 2 blocks of carbs (see above for cooked veg zone conversion), 2 teaspoons balsamic herb vinaigrette (fat)

3 Block Meal
3 oz. steak (protein), mix and match your own veg for 3 blocks of carbs (see above for cooked veg zone conversion), 3 teaspoons balsamic herb vinaigrette (fat)

4 Block Meal
4 oz. steak (protein), mix and match your own veg for 4 blocks of carbs (see above for cooked veg zone conversion), 1 tablespoon balsamic herb vinaigrette (fat)

5 Block Meal
5 oz. steak (protein), mix and match your own veg for 5 blocks of carbs (see above for cooked veg zone conversion), 1 1/4 tablespoon balsamic herb vinaigrette (fat)

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Awesome stuff CopyCat, Zoning has so much potential! Never before have I come across a diet that produces such phenomial results in both health AND athletic performance. It is true to an extent that they go hand in hand, but the Zone has a real strong foothold in the athletic arena now.

Pictures look great - I just ate, and I've already developed another appetite after seeing these. And I have to say... my meal creativity PALES in comparison to this! Will be checking in here often!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man. As with most diet changes the Zone can seem a bit daunting, same with others like Paleo, Keto or any of the others, but once read up on and getting to it, it becomes pretty easy and it's fairly easy to keep up with while on the road as well which is nice.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I went back to a 99.9% raw carnivorous diet(0.1% for butter(cooking) and WPI for cravings) so all that vegetation and carbs are a no-go for me! :nono:

So far I can only eat one thing out of this, Salmon! :sgrin:

EAT MORE MEAT! :damnit:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I went back to a 99.9% raw carnivorous diet(0.1% for butter(cooking) and WPI for cravings) so all that vegetation and carbs are a no-go for me! :nono:

So far I can only eat one thing out of this, Salmon! :sgrin:

EAT MORE MEAT! :damnit:
That can't possible be healthy. I mean it probably isn't too bad on the short term, but surely isn't sustainable.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I add a new meal I'll just edit the 1st post and add it. Then I'll make note of it in a new post. This way I can keep all the meals in one post neat and orderly together instead of having to read through all post to try and find them.

*Just added - One Lunch Bowl To Go

Enjoy!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just added to the original post:

Just because you are watching the game doesn't mean that your nutrition concerns need to go on hiatus. Enjoy!!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Just added to the original post:

Just because you are watching the game doesn't mean that your nutrition concerns need to go on hiatus. Enjoy!!

Awesome stuff Copycat. Snacks like these will keep me in the zone, and I'll love every minute of it. Taste wise, I'd actually take this snack over the junk food I used to party with on gameday. Stuff just grows on you man. The Zone-friendly portions, however, might get a little UPSCALED for the evening. 10 block snacks? Sounds good to me!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome stuff Copycat. Snacks like these will keep me in the zone, and I'll love every minute of it. Taste wise, I'd actually take this snack over the junk food I used to party with on gameday. Stuff just grows on you man. The Zone-friendly portions, however, might get a little UPSCALED for the evening. 10 block snacks? Sounds good to me!
Yeah, I feel you on that. My wife always asks why I need to snack when watching games, movies etc. I just tell her "just because" it's the American way.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Updated the OP. Zone meal #5 Zone friendly Taco's.

As a reminder as I updated the log I simply do it as an edit to the original post. This will make following the meals etc easier and eliminate the need to weed through pages.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
MMM guacamole. Stuff literally goes great with anything.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just updated.

Zone Meal #6 Stracoto with Porcini Mushrooms and Cesar Salad with Fresh Croutons

Enjoy!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol tell that to the Inuit. :laugh:
They do eat some veggies/carbs etc, but most notably they eat almost ALL of the animals including the marrow, eyes, and so forth. What Omen was doing was strictly meat I mean basically 100% meat, but was not eating the other parts of the animals that provide other nutrition. There is such a thing as protein starvation (need to look up the real term). We were taught it in military survival school S.E.R.E. where people trying to survive on the wilderness and only eat meat like rabbits etc actually starve if gone on long enough. Sure your getting protein, but are lacking many other nutrients. Also, he wasn't hardly doing any cardio at all. Why? because he'd pass the fukc out. That is not healthy. Not saying it can't be done or that there isn't any benefits at all, but no way it can be healthy as a whole. Just my opinion.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
They do eat some veggies/carbs etc, but most notably they eat almost ALL of the animals including the marrow, eyes, and so forth. What Omen was doing was strictly meat I mean basically 100% meat, but was not eating the other parts of the animals that provide other nutrition. There is such a thing as protein starvation (need to look up the real term). We were taught it in military survival school S.E.R.E. where people trying to survive on the wilderness and only eat meat like rabbits etc actually starve if gone on long enough. Sure your getting protein, but are lacking many other nutrients. Also, he wasn't hardly doing any cardio at all. Why? because he'd pass the fukc out. That is not healthy. Not saying it can't be done or that there isn't any benefits at all, but no way it can be healthy as a whole. Just my opinion.
Well your half right. The modern Inuit raped by modern society eat a variety of foods including carbohydrates. There are still Inuit families though who survive off of nothing but the animals they kill. The food energy is derived from the fats and tissues of the whole animal...blood and all from mainly seal and caribou. Fresh blood and liver is a delicacy for them..not for me though lol.
You are definitely correct in stating that it is more than animal muscle tissue though. Most of it is eaten raw or frozen as well as smoked in the summertime or dried, mixed with fat and turned into pemmican,lord of the survival foods. Here is an interesting article on so called "rabbit starvation" although it could be possible with any and all lean meats.http://www.medbio.info/Horn/PDF files/rabbit starvation.pdf I agree with you wholeheartedly on his diet plan as he obviously was never going to do a full Inuit diet and I was just being a smart ass for shits n' giggles.:laugh:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the link

Keep an eye out for a new recipe. I'll probably post it tomorrow.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Attn: I updated the original post with a new meal. You'll like this one.

Zone Meal #7 Rack of Lamb with Mint-Basil Pesto with Artichoke and Strawberry's

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Attn: Another update...

Zone Meal # 8: Barbecue Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Enjoy!!

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
wow i have never got so hungry just looking at a bunch of pictures! ha. I think i will check this diet out. im trying to look for something....

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Added this link to the original post at the biggining with the other links.

"The Zone, adequate protein?" -> http://robbwolf.com/?p=417

I'll get another meal up tonight or tomorrow.

Enjoy!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just added...

Zone Meal #9: Red Snapper Livornese with Avocado Salsa

This is one of my favorites, I really like snapper.

Enjoy!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check out meal #10 for the best summer grill meal.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been awhile since this post has seen the surface, just thought I would bump it so those who have not seen it can catch a glimpse. I haven't updated it in awhile, really ned to get back on that. If anyone has any recipes or info on the Zone to share, feel free.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If anyone has any recipes, suggestions, etc. please contribute or ask.