Turkey Meatballs

lamboruns

Awards
Ingrediants

1 lb 85-15 ground turkey
1 lb Turkey Italian Sausage
1 Whole Wheat Pita (or 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread)
1 large egg
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Basil
Red Pepper
6 cups Marinara Sauce (recipe at bottom)
Olive Oil

A. Crumble ground turkey in a large bowl. Remove Italian Sausage from casing and add into bowl.

B. Pulse Wheat Pita or Bread in blender until fine crumbs add to bowl with the large egg.

C. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and basil.

D. Mix well with hands until everything is mixed evenly and very thick.

E. Make individual balls in hand (1/6th lb per ball is perfect so makes 12 balls) and roll until firm and evenly porportioned.

F. Place on a cookie sheet evenly coated with olive oil.

G. Bake in 375 oven until dark brown 20-30 min. Place in stock pot of simmering Marinara and simmer 30 mins with lid on.

ENJOY...place on whole wheat bun with favorite cheese or with pasta (or plain for the low carb folks)

HOMEMADE MARINRA (EASY CHEAP AND BETTER THAN BOUGHT)

2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
1 small onion
1 stalk celery
1 large carrot
2 garlic cloves
oregano
basil
salt
pepper
olive oil

A. Coat large stock pot bottom with olive oil (about 1/3 cup). Add crushed garlic and finely chopped onion. Saute until Onions are translucent about 10 mins.

B. Add finely chopped Carrot and Celery cook until veg is tender another 10 mins.

C. Add both cans of crushed tomatos. Add oregano basil (about a tablespoon each or to taste) and salt and pepper to taste.

D. simmer uncovered until desired consistancy 45 min - 1 hour. For meatball sandwhiches I make it thicker to stick on the bun, for pasta i make it thinner to stick to the noodles.

There you are an easy cheap italian gravy. Very tasty.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ground Turkey is amazing, I love it.

Will be trying this out soon.