I don't want a dry turkey!

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
In previous years i let me significant other take care of the turkey business on Thanks Giving day and they came out ok but a little dry, this year i've i want to get involved and make this turkey juicy .... whats the best way to keep that turkey from getting all dried up? oh, and if you have a good turkey recipes lets post it as well!

Thanks,

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I have used Turkey oven bags.....they work great for keeping moisture in ;) Don't forget to baste your turkey with olive oil or butter too.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
i'm a food network slave and the theme seems to be "DO NOT STUFF THE TURKEY".

if you do stuffing, make it separately (which probably tastes better anyway).

the stuffing is basically a vacuum for moisture and that great juiciness that comes naturally with a turkey!!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Baste with Olive Oil and make sure you let it rest after you take it out of the oven. Also cutting against the grain will make for much more tender meat. Turkey is my favorite food by far and I can't wait to get at a bird this year, I might even make one over the weekend to warm up on...

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Rachael Ray

Well in the morning at school, her tv show is always on. Anyways the one thing I learned was take the turkey and soak it in a big cooler. Take a decent size cooler and fill with enough cold water to submerge turkey. then put roughly 2 cups salt and 2 cups sugar into the water. Should taste like sweet salt water. let soak for an hour or so, just be careful when cooking as the turkey will now cook 20% faster.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i'm a food network slave and the theme seems to be "DO NOT STUFF THE TURKEY".

if you do stuffing, make it separately (which probably tastes better anyway).

the stuffing is basically a vacuum for moisture and that great juiciness that comes naturally with a turkey!!

that seems to make common sense although i the stuffing is one of my favorites.

reps

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I have used Turkey oven bags.....they work great for keeping moisture in ;) Don't forget to baste your turkey with olive oil or butter too.

thanks for the tip bro!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to papapumpsd again.

dpfisher

What I do is make a "tent" out of aluminum foil and cover the turkey with it, like attach it to the sides of the pan and use scotch tape to lift the top up off the turkey so it's not touching that really helps. You add like 2 cups of vegetable stock to the bottom of the pan and it steams up real nice. Baste once every hour or so, more if you want to go nuts with it. Take the foil off for the last half hour of cooking so the turkey gets brown.

Now the somewhat unhealthy (but also best tasting) way to do it:
Get a few pounds of bacon, and completely drape the turkey in it. Wrap the legs and wings so it's completely covered. I prefer maple bacon but it doesn't matter much. Sprinkle brown sugar over it liberally and cook it with the tent and some vegetable stock in the pan. No basting necessary. The fat from the bacon and the caramelizing sugar seals in all moisture. Take the tent off earlier, like 45 mins before you plan to take the turkey out. Take the bacon off the turkey before you serve it. I think you are supposed to throw the caramelized bacon out but my friends ate it, apparently it's pretty good. The turkey though, will be the best turkey you ever eat and if you don't eat the skin (or the bacon) it's not really that big a difference healthwise.

shoegazer

shoegazer

Awards
Oven bags ftw. We use these every year and people can't believe how juicy our turkey comes out. :bow28:

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Guys, have you never fried a turkey? I swear, once you do, you will never go back. it takes 3 gallons of peanut oil @ about 350 degress for 3 minutes per lb. The peanut oil sears the turkey and it is not greasy at all and all the juice is inside the turkey. I also inject mine with a creole butter and the turkey actually melts in your mouth. My mom won't even bake a turkey anymore. I usually fry at least 2.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, finally something I know!! :lol: Just kidding. I actually do the recipe portion on the AX home forum and the perfect turkey roasting method of mine is from Alton Brown on Food Network.

Brining it (as in the Rachel Raye post above) is a good method to get extra moisture into the turkey. However, it is the LONG cooking time that kills it. If you are using that little red bellybutton thingy as a timer, you're cooking it to sand. That thing pops way too far past the "done" phase. Instead of doing that, go out before next week and pick up a $10 digital probe thermometer. NOT one with the little dial on it, not a candy thermometer, but one that you use for meats. They're uber-handy, especially for oven birds, roasts, and if you are a smoker (not ciggs, I'm talkin ribs, brisket, etc. with smoke).

You can brine if you want, but I've had great success going without it. Rinse the bird and remove whatever guts you want. DO NOT STUFF IT!! This harbors bacteria and the stuffing absorbs the turkey juices, not only (perhaps) drying it, but keeping the temperature difference enough that either the stuffing will be done or the bird will be done - NOT BOTH. Take some aluminum foil and make yourself a nice breast plate - a triangle big enough to cover the breast of the bird (white meat) while letting the legs/wings uncovered. Form it to the naked bird and set aside for later. Sprinkle the outside with kosher salt and pepper. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the breast, making sure NOT to hit bone or the cavity. (This will give you a false reading.) Poke it once!!

Set your oven for 500. That's full-blast furnace. Put the turkey in the oven for 30 minutes. Leave the damn door closed!!! After the timer goes off (set the timer, doofus), lower the temp to 350. Pull the turkey out quickly and install that nice breast plate. (Don't worry about raw touching the quasi-cooked skin) Put it back into the oven. Set the probe temperature to go off at 165 degrees. And as Alton says, "Walk away. Just walk away. Don't touch it. Just let it go."

During this time, do whatever you want. When that timer goes BEEEEEEEP, pull it out and let it sit. Again, just walk away. Do NOT pull the probe out, poke it, or cut it!!! Just walk away. If you are me, you'll be busy keeping your Great Dane from reaching it on top the stove. If not, then go play games or set the table. 165 is not fully cooked for a bird! But, as it rests, the temperature will coast up a few more degrees. When it hits about 172, it's going to be done. This may take a bit, but that carryover heat is important to make sure it is fully cooked but still retains the juicy goodness.

Wait about 5 minutes after it reaches 172, then pull the probe, remove the foil armor, and have at it.

Basting: I never understood this. The skin protects the meat underneath. So why would pouring ANYTHING over the top of it do anything for the meat inside? It doesn't. Don't worry about it. If you do it the way I described, you won't need to. And the other big thing is that every time you open that oven door, you let the heat out!!! That increases cooking time!!! And that's just not good.

Oh, one other bonus... This method should cook a whopping 20lb bird in about 4.5-5 hours flat. That's about HALF the time that you'd do it the traditional way.

So do it. DO IT!! Get you some juicy bird!! And let me know how it goes next Friday, if you're not too bloated to type!!

HAPPY EATING, EVERYONE!!!

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
Guys, have you never fried a turkey? I swear, once you do, you will never go back. it takes 3 gallons of peanut oil @ about 350 degress for 3 minutes per lb. The peanut oil sears the turkey and it is not greasy at all and all the juice is inside the turkey. I also inject mine with a creole butter and the turkey actually melts in your mouth. My mom won't even bake a turkey anymore. I usually fry at least 2.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: We do that same! We have a big dinner, and always have one Baked turkey, and one fried! the fried one is DELICIOUS! Reps for you my friend!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fry it... Fry it.. Fry it.

Oven turket BLOWS ASS. Inject a turkey like you would a glute, and drop that b*tch in some hot peanut oil!!!

Adams

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Fry it... Fry it.. Fry it.

Oven turket BLOWS ASS. Inject a turkey like you would a glute, and drop that b*tch in some hot peanut oil!!!

Adams
what kind of equipment do you need?

can a traditional stove top heat peanut oil hot enough?

we actually have an outdoor stove, and I have a huge pot, but what else do i need? i'm itching to try this!

dg806

dg806

Awards
  • Established
what kind of equipment do you need?

can a traditional stove top heat peanut oil hot enough?

we actually have an outdoor stove, and I have a huge pot, but what else do i need? i'm itching to try this!
No you need a propane cooker that is about 50-60,000 btu

Rah22491

Awards
I usually rub some fat free mayo on the skin and throw it in the crock pot for a few hours. The skin falls off in the bottom of the crock pot so you really dont get any mayo on the meat but the turkey is extremely tender and melts in your mouth. You guys should give it a try and let me kno what you think

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But if you leave the skin on, you won't need to baste it as the fat will melt down over it. Brining it would super-saturate the cells so they will hold even more fluid. :)

Sad part here is even know I can make an AWESOME turkey (for a dude, no offense, just not always expected), I really don't like turkey all that much. In fact, I don't like these holidays. Revolving around food isn't something I'm into. Oh yeah, there's the family part, and the gettin together and bla bla bla... Eh, I see 'em every week anyway. :lol:

dg806

dg806

Awards
  • Established
Again my fried turkeys were a big hit. My gf's father tried it for the first time and he loved it. I bet he will want it again next year. Secret though is to inject with creole butter marinade!!!!!!!!!