avocado

classic27

What is the best way to eat a avocado? I have been trying

to eat one a day but I eat it plain and its pretty gross.

PyroLifter

Awards
Try making a simple chunky guacamole with some chopped tomato, onion and lime juice.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
I sometimes cut up some thin slices and put it on a sandwich.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I found a coupla' decent "Sneak it in your diet" recipes:

Beyond Guacamole: Grilled Mahimahi Under 300 Calories

The salsa in this recipe can be served with any grilled seafood, poultry, or meat. Choose the kind of chile you use based on how much heat you like. Serrano chiles are hotter than jalapeño peppers; if you want more kick, don’t remove the seeds. Make sure you wear gloves when handling hot peppers.

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 12 minutes
Marinate: 20-30 minutes
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
Salsa
1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch chunks
2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 cup minced red onion
1 jalapeño pepper or serrano chile, seeded and minced
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Mahimahi
1 1/2 pounds mahimahi, cut into 4 pieces
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a large, nonreactive bowl (glass, stainless steel, or glazed ceramic), and mix gently with a spoon. Set aside. You can prepare this salsa up to a few hours before serving and store it in the refrigerator in a covered container.

2. In a deep, nonreactive dish (glass, stainless steel, or glazed ceramic), marinate the fish with the other ingredients for 20-30 minutes before grilling.

3. Grill over coals or on a grill, or cook under a broiler for 6-8 minutes per side.

4. Serve the fish with the salsa on top. (serving size: 1 piece of fish and about 1/2 cup salsa)

Nutrition:
CALORIES 284; FAT 12g (sat 2g,mono 8g,poly 2g); PROTEIN 33g; CHOLESTEROL 125mg; CALCIUM 49mg; SODIUM 438mg; FIBER 5g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12g

also...

Beyond Guacamole: Low-Calorie Avocado Soup

This recipe makes a flavorful, smooth-textured soup; serve with toasted bread.

Makes 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 ripe peeled avocados
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 (4-ounce) can or jar chopped green chiles
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Fresh cilantro and/or crushed tortilla chips for garnish

Instructions:
1. Cut the avocados in half, and remove the pits.

2. Spoon avocado into a blender, add the remaining ingredients (except garnish), and puree until creamy. Chill the soup for up to 2 hours before serving, or serve immediately. Cover leftovers with plastic wrap, refrigerate, and use within 2 days. (serving size: 1 cup)

Nutrition:
CALORIES 194; FAT 16g (sat 3g,mono 10g,poly 2g); PROTEIN 3g; CHOLESTEROL 3mg; CALCIUM 58mg; SODIUM 396mg; FIBER 7g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 14g

and finally...

Beyond Guacamole: Vitamin-Rich Grapefruit-Avocado Salad

To remove the citrus fruits’ bitter white pith for this fresh recipe, cut the peel away with a sharp knife. This recipe makes more dressing than you’ll need; you can refrigerate the extra for up to 5 days.

Prep: 18 minutes
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 medium halved peeled avocado, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 peeled pink grapefruit, cut into sections
1 peeled navel orange, cut into sections
1/2 red pepper, chopped
4 minced green onions
4 cups field greens

Instructions:
1. Combine first 4 ingredients (through honey) in a food processor or blender, or use a handheld immersion blender, and process for 1 minute until the mixture is smooth and creamy.

2. Combine the remaining ingredients (except the greens) in a large, nonreactive bowl (glass, stainless steel, or glazed ceramic). Toss with half of the dressing to moisten. Serve over field greens. (Serving size: 1 cup greens, about 1/2 cup grapefruit mixture, and 2 tablespoons dressing.)

Nutrition:
Calories 234; Fat 17g (sat 2g,mono 12g,poly 2g); Protein 3g; Cholesterol 0mg; Calcium 75mg; Sodium 21mg; Fiber 7g; Iron 2mg; Carbohydrate 23g

By Steve Petusevsky

Found at: Avocado Recipes

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Weh-hell! There ya go!

Looks awesome Hurley!
Thanks man. The soup one is good (I put a tbsp of sour cream in mine) Tastes like football Sunday without the Tostitos.

BiggerGeek

Awards
I get some of those low carb high fiber wraps from walmart and make a wrap with turkey avacado and purple onions. Throw some sirachi on there and .... well, its good to eat

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Sirachi, or siracha? 'Cause I love siracha!

BiggerGeek

Awards
oops, yeah, siracha..

i love that ****. I put it on everything. And you need so little of it that calories don't really matter

Fear

Fear

Awards
You can use it in almost every sandwich.

Try this: Grate up a hard boiled egg or two until you have very fine little bits. Mash up an avocado with a fork until it looks like green mashed potaotes. Mix the two together to get a delish tasting salad that you can put on whole wheat toast.

Trust me, this stuff is heavenly. I personally can eat an unlimited amount of avocados plain, but I'm on a cut so I'm avoiding all fatty foods.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I love avocados straight up with salt :)

If not then i would go with the guac o' mole and some salsa

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can use it in almost every sandwich.

Try this: Grate up a hard boiled egg or two until you have very fine little bits. Mash up an avocado with a fork until it looks like green mashed potaotes. Mix the two together to get a delish tasting salad that you can put on whole wheat toast.

Trust me, this stuff is heavenly. I personally can eat an unlimited amount of avocados plain, but I'm on a cut so I'm avoiding all fatty foods.

Avocado as a substitute for mayo is something I do frequently, whether for eggs or tuna - it does taste great!

On a different subject, why would you avoid such a healthy food as avocado while on a cut? Avoiding fat on a cut is not usually a good idea - you're already on a caloric deficit, why deny your body something that will benefit it?

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I like it with sea salt. I think the taste will grow on you.

On a side note, are you buying the huge green "Slimcados" or similar, or the small softer wrinkly brown/black ones? The former, in my experience, are disgusting.

I also enjoy it in a spinach salad with vinaigrette or with refried beans/chicken.

Fear

Fear

Awards
Avocado as a substitute for mayo is something I do frequently, whether for eggs or tuna - it does taste great!

On a different subject, why would you avoid such a healthy food as avocado while on a cut? Avoiding fat on a cut is not usually a good idea - you're already on a caloric deficit, why deny your body something that will benefit it?
When I'm not cutting I usually eat one or two avocados a day, I love the stuff. But I'm not sure if the 30 grams (on average) of fat are really necessary when I'm cutting, especially when I'm already getting some fats from some much-loved peanut butter, eggs, and olive oil...

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gotcha - you're getting your fat elsewhere. I can understand that entirely.

When calories are restricted, eating what you prefer (provided it fits in your diet) makes all the difference.

classic27

I get the black ones. I have never seen or heard of slimcados.

malou

malou

Awards
eat it plain love it
and it takes less than min
just like having sex: peel enjoy done