College kid needs help with food prep

blitzkriegjim

Awards
So this is my first year living off campus at school, and between classes and work, I will not have the time to prepare meals every 2-3 hours as I would like to. I was just wondering if any of you could give me some tips on how to prepare food for the week. My plan is just to spend a few hours cooking nonstop on Sunday and load up for the whole week. Fats I know will be easy (almonds, natty pb, etc) but its more of the carbs/meat that I need help with. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
I think you have it down, are you asking how to cook the foods? I always make like 5LBS of chicken, 2lb's of 96/4 beef, 1-2lb's of 99% Fat Free ground turkey, on Sunday's and maybe a box of healthy harvest pasta, plus I have like 60 cans of tuna, that seems to get me through the week most of the time, plus I usually make a plate of 6 eggs, 2 servings egg beaters, diced ham, and Fat Free shredded cheddar everyday.

blitzkriegjim

Awards
I guess my question was what to do after you make everything? Is it ok to just throw like the cooked chicken into the fridge and microwave it later with some veggies or something for a meal? I'm just looking for a way to quick prep solid meals since I wont have time to fire up the foreman grill or anything in between classes. If I could just microwave something that'd be solid. Also thinking I'd just pre measure everything out into plastic bags ahead of time too so my portions are right and I won't have to measure them out later.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
I throw my chicken in a giant tuperware container, but Im not a perfect with serving sizes and calorie counting as some people are, another good option would be to goto walmart or giant or wereever and buy a bunch of gladware containers. I used to pan cook burger meat and throw it into one of those containers with some healthy harvest pasta, and mixed veggies, I usaually put a little buffalo sauce in their too right before I ate it.

dommer

Banned
Awards
So this is my first year living off campus at school, and between classes and work, I will not have the time to prepare meals every 2-3 hours as I would like to. I was just wondering if any of you could give me some tips on how to prepare food for the week. My plan is just to spend a few hours cooking nonstop on Sunday and load up for the whole week. Fats I know will be easy (almonds, natty pb, etc) but its more of the carbs/meat that I need help with. Any help is greatly appreciated!
get a big ****ing wok and cook a big as stir fry every week and grill chicken

ill make stir fry with abotu 4lbs of chicken + snap peas, broccoli and corn and put that in the fridge lasts me till Thursday usually and i allso bake some home made chicken cutlets or grill some chicken that way i can switch up what i eat also works good for making salads

i toos this in the fridge in a bunch of individual containers so all i have to do is grab a container when i get home fro mthe gym and toss it in the micro wave while i take a shower works perfectly every time

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Fruit is incredibly easy to transport, and makes for a good combination when diced and coupled with some turkey or chicken. A diced peach or apple mixed in with bite size pieces of grilled chicken always is appealing.

Bigrich12

Awards
I normally have a pretty busy schedule between work, working out, softball and my family, so what I do is do one big cooking session a month. I usually buy about 20 lb.s of london broil, about 30 lb.s of chicken and 40 lb.s of vegetables. I went on craigslist and bought a cheap freezer and to walmart and bought a crap load of tuberware.
I cook once a month for like 5 hours and I am good. Just an idea.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
cook it all up put it into tubs and then microwave during class, and get fruit, bannanas, apples w.e u like and cut some of em up and mix in a bowl and get some fat free cool whip and whip em all together and you got yourself a fukn fruit bowl of goood and healthyness!! enjoy

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I have made the following in bulk well over 100 times and it's fast, easy, and cheap:

I usually use ground turkey (Jenny-O Turkey Store brand is good).
Toss it all (2-4 lbs.) into a large pot on the stove. Brown on Hi/Med-Hi. Drain the juice. Add jars of your favorite pasta sauce and simmer 10 - 15 min. til it's a consistency you're happy with.

I basically add 1 jar of pasta sauce for approx. every 2lbs of turkey. You can adjust to your desire.

To compliment this you can also make bulk whole grain pasta or simply top Ezekiel toast w/this turkey sauce.

Also, add fat free cheese to the turkey sauce or parmesan cheese. Lots you can do with it (even eat it solo!).