The Shirataki Noodle (An answer for the noodle-less CKD diet)

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I know as a current CKD dieter, I really miss pasta dishes every now and then. Well, I found something that fixes this problem - and still keeps me low-carb.

What are Shirataki Noodles?

Shirataki (shee-rah-TAH-kee) noodles are thin, low carb, chewy, and translucent traditional Japanese noodles. They are also sometimes called konnyaku noodles. Shirataki noodles are thinner than wheat noodles, do not break as easily, and have a different texture. They are mostly composed of a dietary fiber called glucomannan and contain very few calories and carbohydrates (sometimes even zero). They do not have much flavor by themselves, but absorb flavors well from other ingredients you can combine them with. Shirataki noodles are made from Konjac flour, which comes from the roots of the yam-like Konjac plant grown in Japan and China.

What is glucomannan?

Glucomannan is a water-soluble dietary fiber made from the roots of the Asian Konjac plant. Glucomannan makes up the majority of substance in shirataki noodles. Eating lots of dietary fiber, which is found only in plant foods (such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, seeds and nuts) has been proven to have many health benefits. For example, water-soluble dietary fiber helps decrease blood cholesterol levels. Blood cholesterol levels below 200 mg/dl have been associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease. The body gets rid of cholesterol through excretion of bile acids, and since water-soluble fiber binds bile acids, there is evidence that suggests a high-fiber diet results in increased excretion of cholesterol. Fiber may also be beneficial in treating or preventing constipation, hemorrhoids, and diverticulosis (where pouches of the intestinal wall become inflamed and painful). Some research has also linked a high-fiber diet to a reduced risk of colon cancer. The FDA publishes claims outlining this evidence:

* Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol and rich in fruits, vegetables and grain products that contain some types of dietary fiber, particularly soluble fiber, may reduce the risk of heart disease, a disease associated with many factors.
* Diets low in fat and rich in fiber-containing grain products, fruits, and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancer.
* Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol and rich in fruits, vegetables, and grain products that contain fiber, particularly soluble fiber, may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
* Diets low in fat and rich in fruits and vegetables, which are low-fat foods and may contain fiber or vitamin A (as beta-carotene) and vitamin C, may reduce the risk of some cancers.

How do I cook shirataki noodles?

Cooking shirataki noodles by themselves is relatively straightforward. Since shirataki noodles are packaged pre-cooked, you simply heat them up and enjoy. The liquid that shirataki noodles are packaged in has a slight fishy/seafood smell to it, so it's recommended that you run the noodles under water for a couple of minutes before you eat them. To add flavor, you can add:

* Salt
* Soy sauce
* Garlic powder or garlic cloves
* Tofu
* Spaghetti sauce
* Vegetables

These things are pretty cool IMO. I mean, it's kinda like a low-carb ramen noodles, with fiber. Plus it's pasta!! What CKD dieter doesn't miss pasta every now and then. Hope I've made someone's day.

**All info is cited from - Shirataki Noodles, Glucomannan, and Weight Loss - Introduction

Last edited:

BifWebster

Awards
cool, where do u find these... health food stores or are they more mainstream than that

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
They carry them at my local food store, but I imagine if yours doesn't, then a health food store should.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Oh dang, this is perfect :D

I'll be looking around for these, nice find :clap2:

rob561

rob561

Awards
  • Established
i bought 16 bags of this. i love it. a lowcarb noodle. mmmm mmm mmmm

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I just bought 2 packs of the fettuccine House tofu shirataki noodles. 1.50 apiece. Also got 7 oz of Umeboshi plums for $4 at the same market.

These could be good...I'm thinking eggs, broccoli, tomato, pork, and soy.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff. Nutritional info if anyone is interested.

Serving size 4 oz, 112g

Calories: 20

Fat calories 5

total fat: .5g

sat 0

trans 0

cholesterol: 0

Sodium: 15

Carbs: 3g

Fiber 2g

sugars o

protein 1g

Vit A: 0

C: 2%

Calcium 10%

Iron: 2%

walugi

walugi

Awards
has anyone been able to find a 0 carb version of these?

rob561

rob561

Awards
  • Established
ah ****, i probably misread calories for carbs.

My bad :(
it seems to good to be true. ive been going thru about 10 bags a week of this stuff. i feel like im eating spagetti but no carbs. i love it!!!:bow28:

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Noodle shaped tofu, thats the only thing that makes my testicles say "Avoid at all costs", whether its warranted or not.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MP3 Anabolics 13
RawStrength Nutrition / Health 5
CrazyChemist Nutrition / Health 6
Nutrition / Health 2
AnthonyIOSOS Nutrition / Health 3