Low Carb Fried Zucchini

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is a delicious dish that my husband and I
thoroughly enjoy! It tastes really good by itself or dipped in a little Caesar or Ranch dressing.

3 medium zucchini
1 whole egg
1/4 C olive oil
1/2 C smokehouse almonds (finely ground in a blender)
salt for taste

Whip the egg up until the yolk is thoroughly mixed in with the whites.

Put the olive oil in a medium skillet and heat up real well.

Quarter each zucchini lengthwise and dip each piece in the egg so that it is evenly covered. Place your finely ground almonds on a plate and roll the egg covered zucchini over the almonds. Each piece should pick up some almonds- they serve well as the breading.

Place the zucchini in your hot olive oil skillet and fry until golden brown; about 15 minutes. Sprinkle a little salt on it and you are set!! :thumbsup:

The nutrition information below is approximate. The fat from the olive oil will vary, sometimes there is a bit left over in the pan after cooking- that obviously reduces calories.

This recipe makes 3 servings.

Each serving is:

Calories: 336
Fat: 31
Carbs: 10
Fiber: 4
Sugar: 3
Protein: 7

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i bet this is GOOD. my only concern is that the heat for that long would mess with the oil/nuts. also, almond protein by itself isn't complete; it needs a complement to it, such as a bread, legume, etc.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This isn't intended to be a complete meal with protein included- it is supposed to be a side dish actually. You do have a valid point when it comes to cooking the oil. While cooking with olive oil is much better than cooking with canola or any other vegetable oil, some of the good qualities of the olive oil will not remain after cooking. If that is a major concern, coconut oil is the way to go. All of it's great qualities won't "fry away". I don't know how good that would taste with zucchini and smokehouse almonds though. :/ Also Having bread or beans with this dish would keep it from being "low carb". :)

Thanks for the input Manimalia!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i gotcha as well. i just try to eat foods that work together with their full quality. and with the nuts, with the exception of say, egg whites, you would need a complimentary side like legumes or grains. to keep it low-carb, you could use a bean that is high in fiber. some have up to 14g per serving.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What beans do you know of that have 14g of fiber? and what is the serving size?