I need help with oatmeal

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0

    I need help with oatmeal


    So, I just moved out into my own apartment and I am going to be very poor for a while, lol. I went to the store to buy bulk steel cut oats because I heard they were good and because they were cheap. I tried to make them with cinnamon and some other stuff in a recipe and it wasn't really all that good.

    I need help understanding how to make oatmeal taste good so I can save myself some money on food! Besides, it's better alternative nutrition wise than most of the other stuff I've been eating.

    HELP!

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,259
    Answers
    0


    Well I have to eat it on my diet every day for 5 weeks.yuck! What I do is make the oatmeal, then mix 1-2 scoops of your fav chocolate protein powder in, add water if necessary to mix it all in. If you are not to concerned with weight then you can add in a teaspoon of natty peanut butter at the same time.

    Tastes a little like a no bake cookie
  3. Registered User
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Answers
    0


    I eat oatmeal everyday, sometimes 4x a day.

    As crader said, oatmeal + protein powder = money!

    I like to throw some berries in with mine too!
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Xodus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,902
    Answers
    0


    I make mine with Frozen Blueberries, then mix in 2 scoops of On's Strawberry protein.
  5. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    So the protein powders will sexify the taste?
  6. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    So the protein powders will sexify the taste?
    Without a doubt! Just recently I was tossing in a scoop of ON's Strawberry into a cup of oats, and it was suprisingly good.

    Although a bit more expensive, another option would be to include chopped fruits into your bowl. 1/2 apple, or a small peach chopped up adds great flavor, texture, and above all, nutrients. If you were to rotate on additions to your oats, I highly doubt you would ever become bored with it. Just make sure your additions are for the best.
  7. Registered User
    Hbs6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    478
    Answers
    0


    i would just eat it, its not so bad.
  8. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    I make mine with Frozen Blueberries, then mix in 2 scoops of On's Strawberry protein.
    Ah, beat me to it! Sounds like a great addition, frozen blueberries... noted!
  9. Advanced Muscle Science Rep
    Board Sponsor
    JOHNJESSICA20's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,186
    Answers
    0


    Try buying the flavored oats, the cost comparison is almost identical. I actually eat the Quaker oats name brand brown sugar & maple best tasting oats Ive ever eaten. I also by the huge jug of plain Quaker oats put them in blender with my CHEAP Body Fortress protein and a couple scoops of peanut butter and milk which makes a 70g protein drink.


    Quaker flavored oats 10packs $3.00
    Plain oats 2lb $3.00
    BF 52g Protein $12.99
    Peanut butter $ 2.00

    All found at your local freindly Wal-mart...lol And lasts me up to 1-2 weeks
  10. Registered User
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Answers
    0


    Natural chunky peanut butter and a banana. My favorite mix.

    Or you can just throw a package or two, or three, of splenda into plain oats, makes them taste pretty damn good.
  11. Registered User
    OpKang101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    166
    Answers
    0


    What I do is blend em with my protein shakes
    and voila, you drink the oats.
    It gets kinda sandy feeling
    so I would try and microwave it in water for about a minute or two
    wash it with cool water and then blend with a protein shake.

    Soft oats with protein. mmmm.
  12. Registered User
    OpKang101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    166
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNJESSICA20 View Post
    Try buying the flavored oats, the cost comparison is almost identical. I actually eat the Quaker oats name brand brown sugar & maple best tasting oats Ive ever eaten. I also by the huge jug of plain Quaker oats put them in blender with my CHEAP Body Fortress protein and a couple scoops of peanut butter and milk which makes a 70g protein drink.


    Quaker flavored oats 10packs $3.00
    Plain oats 2lb $3.00
    BF 52g Protein $12.99
    Peanut butter $ 2.00

    All found at your local freindly Wal-mart...lol And lasts me up to 1-2 weeks
    Thats great, but the ONLY problem I find with flavored oats is just the sugar they put in there.

    Sorry LOL
    I kinda have this pet peeve against sugar (for the most part)
  13. Registered User
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Answers
    0


    it doesn't matter what you add to it...just as long as its blended. oatmeal sucks so this way goes down MUCH qiucker and you can get more down!
  14. Registered User
    MentalTwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,516
    Answers
    0


    F'n right! First time i ever tried oats i threw them out.
    Second time added Cinnamon....yuck(forgot sugar)
    3rd added cin. and sugar...meh it was easier.
    Then i was like oh shyt! HONEY!!! pretty good if you wanna sit and eat.

    For the easiest and best taste, like above make a shake.
    for me...
    1 cup oats
    1-2 scoops Cytogainer vanilla
    1-2 cups mixed berries or just one of choice.
    AND a low fat flavored Yogurt. Usually my mom gets the "light and Fit"
    the yogurt helps flavor and ease digestion.
  15. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    So instant oats and bulk oats are pretty much equal in price? I can eat the instant ones, I just suck at making the real stuff.
  16. Registered User
    Xodus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,902
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    So instant oats and bulk oats are pretty much equal in price? I can eat the instant ones, I just suck at making the real stuff.
    How can you suck at making the real ones?

    2 cups oats, water to cover, microwave for 1 1/2 -2 mins.

    Simple.
  17. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Answers
    0


    The steel-cut oats are less refined than the instant ones, and have a better texture and flavour in my opinion. I've been eating porridge or oat-bran for the past 5+ years without fail (except vacations). The best way to prep your steel cut oats is to boil the water the night before, throw the oats in and turn off the pot. In the morning it will take ~5-10 minutes to cook them fully. To improve taste I suggest:

    Spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cloves, Cardamom, Vanilla Extract
    Sweetener: Stevia, Splenda etc.
    Berries: Frozen works great
    Protein Powder: Berry, Vanilla, Chocolate ( + 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder)

    I also like adding a tbsp of ground flaxseeds and wheat germ on top. Porridge is something that doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. ATW's Cinnamon Bun protein is amazing in addition to Cinnamon. Also ground walnuts are an awesome addition if you're bulking!
  18. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Xodus View Post
    How can you suck at making the real ones?

    2 cups oats, water to cover, microwave for 1 1/2 -2 mins.

    Simple.
    I can cook them ok. However, instant ones taste really good with the flavors. The real ones taste like feet and butter when I make them.
  19. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    The steel-cut oats are less refined than the instant ones, and have a better texture and flavour in my opinion. I've been eating porridge or oat-bran for the past 5+ years without fail (except vacations). The best way to prep your steel cut oats is to boil the water the night before, throw the oats in and turn off the pot. In the morning it will take ~5-10 minutes to cook them fully. To improve taste I suggest:

    Spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cloves, Cardamom, Vanilla Extract
    Sweetener: Stevia, Splenda etc.
    Berries: Frozen works great
    Protein Powder: Berry, Vanilla, Chocolate ( + 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder)

    I also like adding a tbsp of ground flaxseeds and wheat germ on top. Porridge is something that doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. ATW's Cinnamon Bun protein is amazing in addition to Cinnamon. Also ground walnuts are an awesome addition if you're bulking!
    Exactly how much of each spice and condiment do you throw in there?
  20. Registered User
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    The real ones taste like feet and butter when I make them.
    Which "real ones" are you getting? Like quaker oats? Because that might be the difference, try and get oats that say old fashioned, or something that affect, it will be easy to spot by the cooking time being a few minutes longer than the others.

    Those kind of brands seem to taste better to me, maybe they're less processed, thereby holding more nutrients, i dont know, but they're good.
  21. Registered User
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Answers
    0


    Oatmeal + CinnamonBun Protein = the shiz
    Oatmeal + CinnamonBun Protein + Smart Balance PB = the freakin' shiz
  22. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    babywifey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,487
    Answers
    0


    you could try groats, barley or any other kind of grain for breakfast. They are usually inexpensive if you buy them in bulk at a health food store. Try adding a tad bit of honey, organic butter or raw coconut is awesome! You can sweeten it with fruit or a scoop of protein powder mixed with milk and poured over the top. Even mixing all of the above makes any dull bowl of oatmeal amazing.
  23. Registered User
    bandit619's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  140 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    19
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    So the protein powders will sexify the taste?
    Yeah! Sexify! get that protein.
  24. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    Which "real ones" are you getting? Like quaker oats? Because that might be the difference, try and get oats that say old fashioned, or something that affect, it will be easy to spot by the cooking time being a few minutes longer than the others.

    Those kind of brands seem to taste better to me, maybe they're less processed, thereby holding more nutrients, i dont know, but they're good.
    I get the bulk stuff from the health food section at grocery stores.
  25. Registered User
    theBIGcactus's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    374
    Answers
    0


    Brown Sugar makes it taste good. I buy bulk and buy some of the premade packets and put like a cup of the bulk and 1 packet of the packages.
  26. Registered User
    Disturbed's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    115
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNJESSICA20 View Post
    Try buying the flavored oats, the cost comparison is almost identical. I actually eat the Quaker oats name brand brown sugar & maple best tasting oats Ive ever eaten. I also by the huge jug of plain Quaker oats put them in blender with my CHEAP Body Fortress protein and a couple scoops of peanut butter and milk which makes a 70g protein drink.


    Quaker flavored oats 10packs $3.00
    Plain oats 2lb $3.00
    BF 52g Protein $12.99
    Peanut butter $ 2.00

    All found at your local freindly Wal-mart...lol And lasts me up to 1-2 weeks
    Yea i do the same except I run my oats through a coffee grinder first.I bought that at wally world too.I usally mix protein powder,milk,and mixed berries.
  27. Registered User
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    I get the bulk stuff from the health food section at grocery stores.
    Maybe its stale, if it sits out in containers, not airtight boxes/bags, you know?
  28. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    Exactly how much of each spice and condiment do you throw in there?
    .
    It's really to taste. My oatbran bowl is a monster. It's my pre and post-WO meal lol. I've probably got 1 tbsp cinn., and 1tsp of the others.
    I'd say maybe 1 tsp of cinnamon and nutmeg, and adjust from there.
  29. Registered User
    Manimalia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,473
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    So, I just moved out into my own apartment and I am going to be very poor for a while, lol. I went to the store to buy bulk steel cut oats because I heard they were good and because they were cheap. I tried to make them with cinnamon and some other stuff in a recipe and it wasn't really all that good.

    I need help understanding how to make oatmeal taste good so I can save myself some money on food! Besides, it's better alternative nutrition wise than most of the other stuff I've been eating.

    HELP!
    don't like it? don't eat it. i stopped eating oats (speculatively have celiac) and i switched to grits (hominy aka milled corn) and i LOVE them. mix a scoop of chocolate whey in them shlts and you've got a childhood favorite facsimile of "cocoa wheats."

    you don't HAVE TO eat them. grits have just as much to offer as the all powerful oatmeal. just take a look at the nutri-facts on em. matter of fact: fuk oatmeal! yeah, i said it.
  30. Registered User
    theBIGcactus's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    374
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    .
    It's really to taste. My oatbran bowl is a monster. It's my pre and post-WO meal lol. I've probably got 1 tbsp cinn., and 1tsp of the others.
    I'd say maybe 1 tsp of cinnamon and nutmeg, and adjust from there.
    lol that is a **** load of oatmeal
  31. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    don't like it? don't eat it. i stopped eating oats (speculatively have celiac) and i switched to grits (hominy aka milled corn) and i LOVE them. mix a scoop of chocolate whey in them shlts and you've got a childhood favorite facsimile of "cocoa wheats."

    you don't HAVE TO eat them. grits have just as much to offer as the all powerful oatmeal. just take a look at the nutri-facts on em. matter of fact: fuk oatmeal! yeah, i said it.
    Dude, no offence but... I ate grits ONCE in my life and I'm not interested in doing that to myself again. It's just not for me. At all. Lol.
  32. Registered User
    Xodus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,902
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    Dude, no offence but... I ate grits ONCE in my life and I'm not interested in doing that to myself again. It's just not for me. At all. Lol.

    They are good with Bacon and Cheese!
  33. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    So are hamburgers!
  34. Registered User
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,062
    Answers
    0


    oats+vanilla protein powder+lil brown sugar+LOTS of natural chunky peanut butter = oral orgasm
  35. Registered User
    vette00's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    147
    Answers
    0


    Silk Soy-milk+ 2 Packets Cinnamon Quaker Weight Control( 14 Grams Of Protein)+ Frozen Blueberries And Strawberries + 1 Scoop Of Optimum Rocky Road Protein Powder, Then Blend It Up And Drink.
  36. Board Supporter
    R-Mac's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    898
    Answers
    0


    I eat oats 2-3 times a day as my carb source in am meal, so depending on your nutritional goals here are a few....

    1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + 1/2 cup raisins

    1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + natty PB

    1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + sliced bananna

    1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + apple(chopped into small pieces)

    1 cup old fashioned oats + tbsp natural honey + natty pb + splenda(if necessary) ....this one is amazing!


    1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + natty pb + 1 scoop chocolate protein
  37. Registered User
    Emerge's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,483
    Answers
    0


    Is it possible to put uncooked oats in a shake?
  38. Registered User
    vette00's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    147
    Answers
    0


    I do, just have to blend it.
  39. Registered User
    Orangepeel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,760
    Answers
    0


    Either splenda and cinnamon or my favorite:

    mix it with about 1/2 a container of light yogurt, i get the dannon light and fit and it takes great like this, plus you can have different flavors everyday which makes it much less boring and easier to follow.
  40. Registered User
    edwards's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    786
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    So instant oats and bulk oats are pretty much equal in price? I can eat the instant ones, I just suck at making the real stuff.
    i eat the "real" stuff from quaker. what i do is set my microwave at 1/2 power and cook it for 5 minutes. the slow cook approach seems to make the oatmeal a bit softer. i also add 1/4 cup of raisins to the mix prior to cooking. i also make sure to add enough water prior to cooking to absorb the protein powder (30 grams) and the ground flax seeds that I add after cooking.

    i hope this helps
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. oatmeal ?
    By maddog28 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
  2. oatmeal cakes
    By Macurran in forum Recipes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
  3. Protein oatmeal?
    By WarcraftJJS in forum Recipes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
  4. Baked Oatmeal
    By fightercowboy in forum Recipes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
  5. oatmeal
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in