I need help with oatmeal

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
So, I just moved out into my own apartment and I am going to be very poor for a while, lol. I went to the store to buy bulk steel cut oats because I heard they were good and because they were cheap. I tried to make them with cinnamon and some other stuff in a recipe and it wasn't really all that good.

I need help understanding how to make oatmeal taste good so I can save myself some money on food! Besides, it's better alternative nutrition wise than most of the other stuff I've been eating.

HELP!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well I have to eat it on my diet every day for 5 weeks.yuck! What I do is make the oatmeal, then mix 1-2 scoops of your fav chocolate protein powder in, add water if necessary to mix it all in. If you are not to concerned with weight then you can add in a teaspoon of natty peanut butter at the same time.

Tastes a little like a no bake cookie;)

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I eat oatmeal everyday, sometimes 4x a day.

As crader said, oatmeal + protein powder = money! :thumbsup:

I like to throw some berries in with mine too!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I make mine with Frozen Blueberries, then mix in 2 scoops of On's Strawberry protein.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
So the protein powders will sexify the taste?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
So the protein powders will sexify the taste?
Without a doubt! Just recently I was tossing in a scoop of ON's Strawberry into a cup of oats, and it was suprisingly good.

Although a bit more expensive, another option would be to include chopped fruits into your bowl. 1/2 apple, or a small peach chopped up adds great flavor, texture, and above all, nutrients. If you were to rotate on additions to your oats, I highly doubt you would ever become bored with it. Just make sure your additions are for the best.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I make mine with Frozen Blueberries, then mix in 2 scoops of On's Strawberry protein.
Ah, beat me to it! Sounds like a great addition, frozen blueberries... noted!

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
Try buying the flavored oats, the cost comparison is almost identical. I actually eat the Quaker oats name brand brown sugar & maple best tasting oats Ive ever eaten. I also by the huge jug of plain Quaker oats put them in blender with my CHEAP Body Fortress protein and a couple scoops of peanut butter and milk which makes a 70g protein drink.

Quaker flavored oats 10packs $3.00
Plain oats 2lb $3.00
BF 52g Protein $12.99
Peanut butter $ 2.00

All found at your local freindly Wal-mart...lol And lasts me up to 1-2 weeks

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Natural chunky peanut butter and a banana. My favorite mix.

Or you can just throw a package or two, or three, of splenda into plain oats, makes them taste pretty damn good.

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
What I do is blend em with my protein shakes
and voila, you drink the oats.
It gets kinda sandy feeling
so I would try and microwave it in water for about a minute or two
wash it with cool water and then blend with a protein shake.

Soft oats with protein. mmmm.

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
Try buying the flavored oats, the cost comparison is almost identical. I actually eat the Quaker oats name brand brown sugar & maple best tasting oats Ive ever eaten. I also by the huge jug of plain Quaker oats put them in blender with my CHEAP Body Fortress protein and a couple scoops of peanut butter and milk which makes a 70g protein drink.

Plain oats 2lb $3.00
BF 52g Protein $12.99
Peanut butter $ 2.00

Thats great, but the ONLY problem I find with flavored oats is just the sugar they put in there.

Sorry LOL
I kinda have this pet peeve against sugar (for the most part)

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
it doesn't matter what you add to it...just as long as its blended. oatmeal sucks so this way goes down MUCH qiucker and you can get more down!

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
F'n right! First time i ever tried oats i threw them out.
Second time added Cinnamon....yuck(forgot sugar)
3rd added cin. and sugar...meh it was easier.
Then i was like oh shyt! HONEY!!! pretty good if you wanna sit and eat.

For the easiest and best taste, like above make a shake.
for me...
1 cup oats
1-2 scoops Cytogainer vanilla
1-2 cups mixed berries or just one of choice.
AND a low fat flavored Yogurt. Usually my mom gets the "light and Fit"
the yogurt helps flavor and ease digestion.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
So instant oats and bulk oats are pretty much equal in price? I can eat the instant ones, I just suck at making the real stuff.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
So instant oats and bulk oats are pretty much equal in price? I can eat the instant ones, I just suck at making the real stuff.
How can you suck at making the real ones?

2 cups oats, water to cover, microwave for 1 1/2 -2 mins.

Simple.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The steel-cut oats are less refined than the instant ones, and have a better texture and flavour in my opinion. I've been eating porridge or oat-bran for the past 5+ years without fail (except vacations). The best way to prep your steel cut oats is to boil the water the night before, throw the oats in and turn off the pot. In the morning it will take ~5-10 minutes to cook them fully. To improve taste I suggest:

Spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cloves, Cardamom, Vanilla Extract
Sweetener: Stevia, Splenda etc.
Berries: Frozen works great
Protein Powder: Berry, Vanilla, Chocolate ( + 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder)

I also like adding a tbsp of ground flaxseeds and wheat germ on top. Porridge is something that doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. ATW's Cinnamon Bun protein is amazing in addition to Cinnamon. Also ground walnuts are an awesome addition if you're bulking!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
How can you suck at making the real ones?

2 cups oats, water to cover, microwave for 1 1/2 -2 mins.

Simple.
I can cook them ok. However, instant ones taste really good with the flavors. The real ones taste like feet and butter when I make them.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
The steel-cut oats are less refined than the instant ones, and have a better texture and flavour in my opinion. I've been eating porridge or oat-bran for the past 5+ years without fail (except vacations). The best way to prep your steel cut oats is to boil the water the night before, throw the oats in and turn off the pot. In the morning it will take ~5-10 minutes to cook them fully. To improve taste I suggest:

Spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cloves, Cardamom, Vanilla Extract
Sweetener: Stevia, Splenda etc.
Berries: Frozen works great
Protein Powder: Berry, Vanilla, Chocolate ( + 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder)

I also like adding a tbsp of ground flaxseeds and wheat germ on top. Porridge is something that doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. ATW's Cinnamon Bun protein is amazing in addition to Cinnamon. Also ground walnuts are an awesome addition if you're bulking!
Exactly how much of each spice and condiment do you throw in there?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
The real ones taste like feet and butter when I make them.
Which "real ones" are you getting? Like quaker oats? Because that might be the difference, try and get oats that say old fashioned, or something that affect, it will be easy to spot by the cooking time being a few minutes longer than the others.

Those kind of brands seem to taste better to me, maybe they're less processed, thereby holding more nutrients, i dont know, but they're good.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Oatmeal + CinnamonBun Protein = the shiz
Oatmeal + CinnamonBun Protein + Smart Balance PB = the freakin' shiz

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
you could try groats, barley or any other kind of grain for breakfast. They are usually inexpensive if you buy them in bulk at a health food store. Try adding a tad bit of honey, organic butter or raw coconut is awesome! You can sweeten it with fruit or a scoop of protein powder mixed with milk and poured over the top. Even mixing all of the above makes any dull bowl of oatmeal amazing. :thumbsup:

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Which "real ones" are you getting? Like quaker oats? Because that might be the difference, try and get oats that say old fashioned, or something that affect, it will be easy to spot by the cooking time being a few minutes longer than the others.

Those kind of brands seem to taste better to me, maybe they're less processed, thereby holding more nutrients, i dont know, but they're good.
I get the bulk stuff from the health food section at grocery stores.

theBIGcactus

theBIGcactus

Awards
  • Established
Brown Sugar makes it taste good. I buy bulk and buy some of the premade packets and put like a cup of the bulk and 1 packet of the packages.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards

Plain oats 2lb $3.00
BF 52g Protein $12.99
Peanut butter $ 2.00

Yea i do the same except I run my oats through a coffee grinder first.I bought that at wally world too.I usally mix protein powder,milk,and mixed berries.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
So, I just moved out into my own apartment and I am going to be very poor for a while, lol. I went to the store to buy bulk steel cut oats because I heard they were good and because they were cheap. I tried to make them with cinnamon and some other stuff in a recipe and it wasn't really all that good.

I need help understanding how to make oatmeal taste good so I can save myself some money on food! Besides, it's better alternative nutrition wise than most of the other stuff I've been eating.

HELP!
don't like it? don't eat it. i stopped eating oats (speculatively have celiac) and i switched to grits (hominy aka milled corn) and i LOVE them. mix a scoop of chocolate whey in them shlts and you've got a childhood favorite facsimile of "cocoa wheats."

you don't HAVE TO eat them. grits have just as much to offer as the all powerful oatmeal. just take a look at the nutri-facts on em. matter of fact: fuk oatmeal! yeah, i said it.

theBIGcactus

theBIGcactus

Awards
  • Established
It's really to taste. My oatbran bowl is a monster. It's my pre and post-WO meal lol. I've probably got 1 tbsp cinn., and 1tsp of the others.
I'd say maybe 1 tsp of cinnamon and nutmeg, and adjust from there.
lol that is a **** load of oatmeal:thumbsup:

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
don't like it? don't eat it. i stopped eating oats (speculatively have celiac) and i switched to grits (hominy aka milled corn) and i LOVE them. mix a scoop of chocolate whey in them shlts and you've got a childhood favorite facsimile of "cocoa wheats."

you don't HAVE TO eat them. grits have just as much to offer as the all powerful oatmeal. just take a look at the nutri-facts on em. matter of fact: fuk oatmeal! yeah, i said it.
Dude, no offence but... I ate grits ONCE in my life and I'm not interested in doing that to myself again. It's just not for me. At all. Lol.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Dude, no offence but... I ate grits ONCE in my life and I'm not interested in doing that to myself again. It's just not for me. At all. Lol.

They are good with Bacon and Cheese!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
oats+vanilla protein powder+lil brown sugar+LOTS of natural chunky peanut butter = oral orgasm

vette00

vette00

Awards
Silk Soy-milk+ 2 Packets Cinnamon Quaker Weight Control( 14 Grams Of Protein)+ Frozen Blueberries And Strawberries + 1 Scoop Of Optimum Rocky Road Protein Powder, Then Blend It Up And Drink.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I eat oats 2-3 times a day as my carb source in am meal, so depending on your nutritional goals here are a few....

1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + 1/2 cup raisins

1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + natty PB

1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + sliced bananna

1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + apple(chopped into small pieces)

1 cup old fashioned oats + tbsp natural honey + natty pb + splenda(if necessary) ....this one is amazing!

1 cup old fashioned oats + 2 packets of splenda + natty pb + 1 scoop chocolate protein

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Is it possible to put uncooked oats in a shake?

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
Either splenda and cinnamon or my favorite:

mix it with about 1/2 a container of light yogurt, i get the dannon light and fit and it takes great like this, plus you can have different flavors everyday which makes it much less boring and easier to follow.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
i eat the "real" stuff from quaker. what i do is set my microwave at 1/2 power and cook it for 5 minutes. the slow cook approach seems to make the oatmeal a bit softer. i also add 1/4 cup of raisins to the mix prior to cooking. i also make sure to add enough water prior to cooking to absorb the protein powder (30 grams) and the ground flax seeds that I add after cooking.

i hope this helps

Ole Skl

Ole Skl

Awards
I blend mine into my post w/o shake... I get a 1/2 cup of oats in a 30 second chug.

vette00

vette00

Awards
If you want it lumpy then go ahead.A coffe grinder is only 13 bucks at walmart.I think its worth the investment.
If u sip on the drink it would matter, but not if you down the drink.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
If you want it lumpy then go ahead.A coffe grinder is only 13 bucks at walmart.I think its worth the investment.
That makes a difference. Someone says coffee grinder and I immediately think $$$

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Coffee grinder is totally unnecessary IMO.