Dad diagnosed with pre-dibetes, please help with recipes

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
Dad diagnosed with pre-diabetes, please help with recipes

My dad was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. He has had a VERY poor diet his entire life and could really use some help with recipe ideas to tweak his diet. Im trying to give him a basic understanding of nutrition with things like glycemic index and how to tweak things he may eat on a regular basis to be lower calorie as well as give him some new low cal low GI recipe ideas. Any ideas/input/recipes you may have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would highly suggesting going to the public library and picking up a book on living with diabetes and/or a cookbook. There are tons of excellent resources on this topic because it is became so prevalent in North America and much of the world.

In short, he should eat low GI carbs, and try and have fats with his meals to prevent insulin spikes. The books will put it much more clearly and with pictures.

Good luck getting him to change his lifestyle; it can be quite the challenge!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beef, pork, chicken, eggs, fish, vegetables, and healthy oils.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Go to the Amarican Diabetic Assoc web site. Look for support groups/classes in your area. There is also a cable show ran by a former ms. America (can't think of the name of the show other than D...someting) it has a lot of info and material. Ther really is a lot of information out there it's just not usually followed up very well by the Dr.s. You have to root it out and go to nutritional classes etc.

EmAzing

EmAzing

Awards
I use and know a ton of people with diabetes and other health ailments use Fitnutz for peanut butter.(low calorie all natural)
Its very versatile for whatever you decide to use it for.
You can make thai sauces, sugar free puddings, even just to mix up alone its awesome
I do a ton of internet searches on low calorie/low sugar recipes and there are a bunch of great sites that come up.
Alos, depending on whos preparing the meals, there's always a way to tweak them to be more healthy.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If he's anything like my dad, he doesnt give a sh!t, hes' eatn this way his whole life, and he wont quit now. If he has high glucose, or whatever marker your calling "pre-diabetes", the doctor will have given him all the information he needs.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
My dad was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. He has had a VERY poor diet his entire life and could really use some help with recipe ideas to tweak his diet. Im trying to give him a basic understanding of nutrition with things like glycemic index and how to tweak things he may eat on a regular basis to be lower calorie as well as give him some new low cal low GI recipe ideas. Any ideas/input/recipes you may have would be appreciated. Thanks!
not really a recipe. in fact far from it. if he's vaguely obese, he may benefit from HGH therapy or TRT. of course thats not the recommended treatment, and no doctor will prescribe hormones for diabetes treatments, but theres a few studies that have managed to "cure" it. your dad might have to find another route to go to get TRT, but it might help.

Health News on Yahoo! Health
The Textbook Of Bio-Identical Hormones: New Book Reveals Benefits Of Aggressive Hormone Therapy To Prevent And Treat A Wide Range Of Disorders - Life Extension
Testosterone’S Overlooked Role In The Treatment Of Diabetes In Men

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
my mom was also diagnoased with pre-diabetes that was completly correctable with diet.
unfortuantly my advice to her on diet didn't mean anything comming from me.
it wasn't until she went to a nutritionist did she actually listen, even though they told her the exact same thing i had been telling her. :frustrate

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Turn him onto the Paleolithic diet, commonly referred to as Paleo. "Meats and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar". Simply put, it cuts the crap, and will put anyone into a healthier lifestyle. Plenty of information for free on the web, and books as also available with extra ways to flavor some meals.