Healthy baked beans??

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If anyone has recipes for baked beans that don't include tons of sugar I'd love to know. Bush's baked beans taste so incredible with the bbq chicken I make, but they are loaded with sugar.

Ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey- I do some experimentation and thinking and see if I can come up with a healthy baked beans recipe. ;)

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
If anyone has recipes for baked beans that don't include tons of sugar I'd love to know. Bush's baked beans taste so incredible with the bbq chicken I make, but they are loaded with sugar.

Ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?
Just found this:

* 2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine
* 1 small onion, minced
* 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
* 1 can (12 oz) diet (sugar-free) cola - Splenda-sweetened preferred
* 1/4 cup low carb (sugar-free) catsup
* 3 T mustard
* 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 pinch ground cloves
* Hot sauce to taste

Preparation:
Note 1: If you prefer to leave the bacon out, add 1-3 teaspoons of liquid smoke, to taste, near the end of the cooking. Alternatively, add some smoky flavor using 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste.

Note 2: If you can't find low carb catsup, leave it out, but add about a tablespoon of vinegar and some sweetener, to taste.

1) Fry the bacon in a saucepan - a 2 qt pan works well.

2) Add the onion and cook over medium until soft - 3-5 minutes. Add garlic at this point if you're using fresh and stir it for half a minute or so.

3) Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about half a cup of water. Stir well. 4) Simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will cook down a bit and flavors will combine. 5) Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want - you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it's too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down.)

The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber.

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
Also do a search for the sugar free ketchup recipe I posted on here a while back and use that instead of the regular stuff. Hope this helped

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
I should probably add this, Sugar Free BBQ sauce

Ingredients:

* 2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine (or see note)
* 1 small onion, minced
* 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
* 1 can (12 oz) diet (sugar-free) cola - Splenda-sweetened preferred
* 1/4 cup low carb (sugar-free) catsup, (or see note)
* 3 T mustard
* 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 pinch ground cloves
* Hot sauce to taste

Preparation:
Note 1: If you prefer to leave the bacon out, add 1-3 teaspoons of liquid smoke, to taste, near the end of the cooking. Alternatively, add some smoky flavor using 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste.

Note 2: If you can't find low carb catsup, leave it out, but add about a tablespoon of vinegar and some sweetener, to taste.

1) Fry the bacon in a saucepan - a 2 qt pan works well.

2) Add the onion and cook over medium until soft - 3-5 minutes. Add garlic at this point if you're using fresh and stir it for half a minute or so.

3) Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about half a cup of water. Stir well. 4) Simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will cook down a bit and flavors will combine. 5) Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want - you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it's too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down.)

The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber.
:food::food::food::food::food:

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
Keep in mind i have not tried this b4! I read this thread and went searching for it, this was the first one i found so if you want more just let me know man.

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
WTF i think i just posted the same recipe twice?? Damn sometimes i even surprise myself with my own stupidity. The second one was supposed to be sugar free BBQ sauce.