Ghetto Tuna Casserole

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
I got lazy last weekend and didn't cook, leaving me stranded for an at-work lunch meal and VERY little time to do anything about it. I zipped through the kitchen searching for something to put together and found only tuna, instant rice, and an herb salad mix.

I f'ing loved it, and have been eating this for lunch for the last week lol. Takes no more than 2 min to prepare, and tastes quite good. Links below for tuna/rice info.

Protein - 34 grams
Carbs - 42 grams
Fat - 3 grams

1 packet of Starkist Tuna Creations (I LOVE the Herb&Garlic and Zesty Lemon Pepper)
1/2 packet of Uncle Bens Ready Whole Grain Medley (prefer the simple brown rice but their link to that is broken)
various chopped greens and herbs to taste

I use an herb/greens prewashed box from good ole Wal Mart (still wash 'em anyways). One rice packet lasts two meals, just roll up the rest and refrigerate til ready to heat up again.

I have enjoyed this extremely quick and filling meal for a week now and thought I'd share it for those in a pinch. The best part about it is you can keep the tuna and rice in a drawer or locker at work until you need it. The seasoned tuna tastes awesome in pretty much anything, and I make salads, sandwiches, etc with it.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
increase the quality of this meal by adding in some beans, yo! beans and rice work in synergy to make complete protein. it burns in the gut nicely. yeah, i've been eating tuna, beans and corn together for about a month now for lunch. nice combo there, too. some garlic and pepper are all i put in it.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
increase the quality of this meal by adding in some beans, yo! beans and rice work in synergy to make complete protein. it burns in the gut nicely. yeah, i've been eating tuna, beans and corn together for about a month now for lunch. nice combo there, too. some garlic and pepper are all i put in it.
Thank you, that's a great idea and sparked one of my own:

I had a cheat meal out at a small restaurant here, and they had a black bean mango salsa and rice dish that looked great. I'm thinking I might try to make a little black bean (and mango while in season) salsa stock that could be used with chicken, tuna, turkey, ground beef or whatever I have on hand. I like to make autonomous groupings that I can mix match and still have my macro totals fairly accurate.

Hmm, so the rough draft so far is):

Black Bean Mango Salsa Stock (approx 4-6 servings)
- cubed/sliced mango (fairly young for tart/sweet combo)
- rinsed black beans (1 can)
- rinsed white corn (1 can)
- chopped Bell pepper (1/2 to 1 pepper per taste)
- chopped cilantro (I go heavy on this, LOVE cilantro)
- chopped green onion (per breath requirements, hehe)
- 1 Tspn Lime Juice
- 1 Tspn Rice Wine Vinegar (or any vinegar really) - very important for taste/texture

I've used a similar grouping for a salsa before, and I'm sure this would taste spectacular with tuna/rice. Make this, refrigerate, and add to whattheheckever you want for a kick. I will try this tomorrow for lunch!!! Man, I'm excited lol.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Thank you, that's a great idea and sparked one of my own:

I had a cheat meal out at a small restaurant here, and they had a black bean mango salsa and rice dish that looked great. I'm thinking I might try to make a little black bean (and mango while in season) salsa stock that could be used with chicken, tuna, turkey, ground beef or whatever I have on hand. I like to make autonomous groupings that I can mix match and still have my macro totals fairly accurate.

Hmm, so the rough draft so far is):

Black Bean Mango Salsa Stock (approx 4-6 servings)
- cubed/sliced mango (fairly young for tart/sweet combo)
- rinsed black beans (1 can)
- rinsed white corn (1 can)
- chopped Bell pepper (1/2 to 1 pepper per taste)
- chopped cilantro (I go heavy on this, LOVE cilantro)
- chopped green onion (per breath requirements, hehe)
- 1 Tspn Lime Juice
- 1 Tspn Rice Wine Vinegar (or any vinegar really) - very important for taste/texture

I've used a similar grouping for a salsa before, and I'm sure this would taste spectacular with tuna/rice. Make this, refrigerate, and add to whattheheckever you want for a kick. I will try this tomorrow for lunch!!! Man, I'm excited lol.

need garlic and 'mators (tomatoes) to go with it. and also, one pepper, whether it be jalepeno or anaheim or whatever. those are three staples of any salsa, no matter how innovative it may be. but that's just me, though.