Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Product information... View for more details

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
5 out of 5 rating for 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard (5 lb)

This is the best balance of price mixabilty taste and complete profile of any whey I've come across.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've used several of them and didn't like any. To be honest I think ON Gold standard is disgusting. Their old whey was much better. I'm done with ON Gold standard.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
5 out of 5 rating for 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard (5 lb)

This has been my go to protein for some time now. I really like that it's affordable but still top notch. I'm quite a big fan of the taste! Beats the competition!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3 out of 5 rating for 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard (5 lb)

ON 100% Gold Standard is a very popular brand of protein. In terms of market share, I'm sure it's basically between ON 100% Gold Standard and BSN Syntha-6. In a vacuum, ON's protein is a whey blend of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey. Basically, it means this sits between a whey protein isolate and a whey protein concentrate in terms of quality. As such, its amino profile is pretty standard but slightly better than the competition cutting their whey with soy protein.

On the other hand, there are definitely problems with this protein worth mentioning. The main one is their flavoring. I have tried chocolate, vanilla, and cookies and cream. Their chocolate flavor was a cheap, run-of-the-mill type flavoring, whereas the other two were anywhere from disgusting to nauseating. No protein is good enough to warrant such poor flavoring. In addition, this protein mixes very poorly, and in my experience is the worst, EAS protein being the worst.

O/N 100% Gold Standard benefits from its popularity and is available at almost any supplement store, and being a decent quality protein it is often a go-to for many. I like that it has few carbs and fats, an important thing to me, so I would chose it over Syntha-6, for instance. But the flavor is bad, and honestly it's not competitively priced, so if someone has the alternative, I would shop online for other options.

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established
This used to be to my go to protein, best flavors are cake batter and rocky road. I had no issues with the protein, but have switched to muscle pharm due to price.

C

Cheif

Awards
5/5

I have tried tons of different brands of whey protein.
Not one compares to this when it comes to taste or price! Additives are minuscule. Great stuff right here.

67nova

Awards
All and all with every powder i have used none really work wonders.I use this because of the number of flavors but stick to van/choc witch goes with anything.

B

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
5/5

THE BEST! BEST TASTE! Just wish it was a bit less expensive but still the best imo.

xFRACTION

xFRACTION

Awards
  • Established
5/5

Made of mostly whey isolate its great. Ive tasted most flavors and havent had a bad one. They mix extremely easy as well.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Made of mostly whey isolate its great. Ive tasted most flavors and havent had a bad one. They mix extremely easy as well.
Whey isolate, yes but probably ion exchange isolate, they don't mention anything about the type of whey isolate they use.

fit4me

fit4me

Awards
I really enjoy this product and it also makes great protein pancakes too ;)

5 out of 5

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
It really is the "gold standard" by comparison as a basis. It's an easy go-to protein when you're searching around and a decent fallback. I stopped using it a few years back when i saw how much heavy metal concentration was in the formula - since then they changed it but it's not as good! Some flavors are better than others.

All said and done: consider your options but for what it's worth it's whey protein. It does what it's supposed to do.

fit4me

fit4me

Awards
5/5

I really enjoy this product and it also makes great protein pancakes too

5 out of 5

H

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
This stuff makes me want to throw up!!

Jason_Lifer

Jason_Lifer

Awards
Stuff works great. Does what it is supposed to do!

S

STLG

Awards
4/5

This review is based off of a sample sent to me from ON.

Flavor: 5/5 Stars. Tastes like a mixture of Honey Maid graham crackers and gingerbread cookies. It's not overwhelmingly sweet, but definitely isn't something I could drink everyday.

Mixability: 4/5 Stars. I mixed the full-serving sample with 8oz of skim milk in a blender bottle. There were no clumps, but it was a little gritty.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As I said before personally I don't like this protein and will not buy it again. Tried different flavors and liked none of the.

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
I have tried tons of different brands of whey protein.
Not one compares to this when it comes to taste or price! Additives are minuscule. Great stuff right here.
I agree 100%. The double chocolate and french vanilla are awesome. I mix mine with skim milk and add creatine as well. It mixes with a spoon, no clumps and a "milk chocolate consistency. The Casein version is tooooooo thick for me.

Update:
8-10-2013:

Still using ON protein. IT continues to be a solid product that I count on three times a day. My favorite flavors are Double chocolate and french vanilla. I highly recommend it. I buy in 10 pound bags versus the 5 lb containers.

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
Great stuff. Amazon's number of reviews at 5 stars says it all. Just buy it.

NCWD

NCWD

Awards
4/5

Would rate 5 stars if I was rating it on taste. Most flavors seem to be good and mix well with water and milk.

Now, the reason I rated 4 stars was because it is what it is: a good protein, but may not meet all your needs if your a intermediate to advanced level bodybuilder. For a first year builder like myself, it helps me with recovery and seems to have what I need.

Bottom line
For the price, I would say it is one of the top proteins out there.

B

bjordan

5/5

This is a great protein, tastes great, mixes well, lots of servings for your money, added aminogen for greater uptake of protein so it's not toilet trash. Can't go wrong with this proven formula they haven't changed it since the 90's. Why fix something that isn't broke.

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
5/5

best overall protein, great profile/protein blend for post workout, morning, or anytime. The price is justified.

kk3vv

kk3vv

Awards
This is the only protein I be using love the cake batter.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
4/5

Great taste and mixes well. I like to blend it up with frozen fruit. I usually do 50-100grams post workout.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I highly recommend the, hydro builder, by 'ON', it's 30g protein per scoop , I think gold standard is 26 grams max?? Can't remember...anyway, mixes very well, tastes yummy.....

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
5/5

For my first review I figured I would choose the product I've been using for the longest time on my fitness journey. Here it is ON 100% Whey. My flavor of choice is Vanilla Ice Cream. The Cake batter isn't bad either. I can't stand the chocolate, or the cookies and cream. But the vanilla is good. Why I like this product so much definitely isn't the flavor...It's the quality, I know this product is high quality and it's given me good results for years! That's why I stand by it and promote it. ON protein is arguably the best in the industry.

B

bhawks23

Awards
1/5

There are way too many reviews based on taste, it does taste good it was the first protein I took when I started lifting. That being said the quality is horrible, ON uses a high heat process to produce the powder which denatures the protein and they have been accused of amino spiking.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5/5

I've tried a lot of protein and this will always be my favorite because it isn't too sweet!

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2/5

I remember before this was popular, it was a really great value. now it so much isn't.

I've only had the chocolate, and after using a number of other companies choco proteins, this one falls way behind in taste imo.

like I said, it's okay, but there are a number of sponsors on here who have really great tasting proteins at a better price or the same.