Is Jay Cutler going to win Mr. Olympia 2008 ?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I feel like Jay is going to be 'given' the Mr. O title, just like last year.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Some of arnold's competitor's probably felt he was simply given a couple. To me the O is less about who wins and more about who places in the top 3, I mean, it's not like a team sport where there's a definitive score based on hard math, and unfortunately that means that popularity and charisma play as much a role in who wins as does actual physiques, etc.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Even with the top 3 there still needs to be a winner.

Jay Cutler had a legitimate win in '06 due to Ronnie's lopsided left lat, however last year his overall presentation wasn't what I'd consider to be the best.

Jay Cutler's lower body gets pretty dry, however he seems to carry some water on his upper body.

Vic Martinez should have gotten it last year. Or Dexter Jackson.

I wouldn't have minded if Dennis Wolf took it last year either. That guy's conditioning was spot on in all the competitions he competed in last year.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
I hope not!
im with you on this one. But if he deserved the win then yea he should take it. I mean if Jay is on spot this year then i dont think anyone could beat him. sorry to say. But if it was like last year when he came in like a sponge then no he doesnt deserve to win at all.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I predict he will win it again it regardless of what shape he comes in they will give him the win... with Victor out this year and Dexter the next closest competitor being so close to retiring plus lest not forget MT is sponsoring the whole thing its a done deal... this is why the majority of the public does and will not follow BB... its too subjective for most people to care about it

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I predict he will win it again it regardless of what shape he comes in they will give him the win... with Victor out this year and Dexter the next closest competitor being so close to retiring plus lest not forget MT is sponsoring the whole thing its a done deal... this is why the majority of the public does and will not follow BB... its too subjective for most people to care about it
Agreed. x2.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
This political fiascal is also what keeps me from attending pro shows. I don't want to pay to go out and see Mr. O, just to have Jay Cutler 'given' the title again.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
tru dat. Lets wait til Jay is not on top and then ill go. lol

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
It's a lot harder to win your first Sandow than it is to win your second. Once you win once, you almost have to try and lose. Look at all the greats who dominated the Olympia stage. Arnold, Haney, Yates, and Coleman all had years where they clearly weren't the best on stage, but they all still came out on top. Like everyone has already said, there is too much politics involved.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
My money's on Dennis Wolf. Lot of excitement around him and he could have won it last year. I don't buy into the conspiracy theories. There have been some 1 time Olympia winners and I also think that people have to remember that seeing these guys live onstage is a little different than sitting at home analyzing a picture.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
when one of qualities they consider these days to win the Olympia is some one who is a good representative of the sport or an ambassador of the sport I don't see anyone but J winning... hell they're not even gonna look at his physic they will look at 2nd, 3rd place and so on.... personally I'd like to see Dennis Wolf win but he needs to improve his english before he can be an Olympia ambassador!

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
i think dexter jackson will win..just because victor martinez isnt competing. jay second..wolf 3.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a lot harder to win your first Sandow than it is to win your second. Once you win once, you almost have to try and lose. Look at all the greats who dominated the Olympia stage. Arnold, Haney, Yates, and Coleman all had years where they clearly weren't the best on stage, but they all still came out on top. Like everyone has already said, there is too much politics involved.
I don't think this year will be as big a sham as the '80 (or was that '81), but it will still most likely be a mockery; Jay will come in sloppy (relatively, as who are we to speak?) and Dexter will most likely be robbed though he will be drier, and more symmetrical.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I want Martinez or Wolf to win. And someone to keep your eye on is Foaud Abiad, he's workin his way up, he's sponsered by Muscletech and will be making is olympia debute soon. He also trains at one of the gyms i train at :), he's a mutant.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
I don't think this year will be as big a sham as the '80 (or was that '81), but it will still most likely be a mockery; Jay will come in sloppy (relatively, as who are we to speak?) and Dexter will most likely be robbed though he will be drier, and more symmetrical.
jay will definately be sloppy. wait..what sham are you talking about? i hope its not the 1980 where arnold came back and won and he only trained for a couple months before it. i think 81's winner was columbo..correct me if i'm wrong. but the biggest sham i think was that i personally don't think ronnie should have beat flex wheeler for his first win.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
jay will definately be sloppy. wait..what sham are you talking about? i hope its not the 1980 where arnold came back and won and he only trained for a couple months before it. i think 81's winner was columbo..correct me if i'm wrong. but the biggest sham i think was that i personally don't think ronnie should have beat flex wheeler for his first win.
If you've ever seen video from the 1980, Arnold was in horrible shape in comparison to Mentzer.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
to let all of you know matinez is not competing this year. Its on MD.com that he is going to sit this one out.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Ronnie totally owns Jay. I doubt there will ever be a bodybuilder as good as Ronnie ever again.

With the exception of his calves, every other bodypart that he has is exceptional genetically.

Most pros have 2-3 strong parts and they rest of them are 'ok'.

Attachments

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
it would be nice to see dexter win at least one in his career the guy has always been in the top. I guess his lat spread holds him back no pun intended.

Im looking forward to seeing Wolf again this year id like to see how he comes in compared to last year.

Jay like people already said is a great spokesperson and guy to have as the star of bodybuilding at this point. Not to mention he carries alot of muscle. Ive never been a fan of his overall look but hell you cant deny his development is very good. Im gonna have to say it even tho i dont want to..........Jay takes it again this year and it is his last Sandow.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure honestly, I was looking through some pics and I am not sure what comp. that is.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Here's Jay getting owned again from the back. That's how Ronnie always beat Jay was from the back. Jay's back just isn't the same as Ronnie's. Not even close.

Attachments

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
I know thats not the 06 or 07. I mean yes ronnie was the better man competing against Jay. When ronnie tore his left lat his symentry went to shyt. thats why he lost. If ronning never got hurt then it would have been a different story.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
Here's Jay getting owned again from the back. That's how Ronnie always beat Jay was from the back. Jay's back just isn't the same as Ronnie's. Not even close.
Look at ronnies lower lat. Its like missing almost. thats why he lost.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
The left one got messed up. I think it was some nerve damage and the muscle atrophied.

I agree though, if it wasn't for the messed up symmetry, Ronnie would still be winning.

Jay just didn't have the genetics to hang with Ronnie. He only won because Ronnie was off, not because he made any drastic improvements or the such.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Jay just didn't have the genetics to hang with Ronnie. He only won because Ronnie was off, not because he made any drastic improvements or the such.
I couldn't agree more, Sir! :goodpost:

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
it would be nice to see dexter win at least one in his career the guy has always been in the top. I guess his lat spread holds him back no pun intended.

Im looking forward to seeing Wolf again this year id like to see how he comes in compared to last year.

Jay like people already said is a great spokesperson and guy to have as the star of bodybuilding at this point. Not to mention he carries alot of muscle. Ive never been a fan of his overall look but hell you cant deny his development is very good. Im gonna have to say it even tho i dont want to..........Jay takes it again this year and it is his last Sandow.
I agree. It would be awesome to see Dexter walk away victorious at least once. His physique is amazing and in my mind perfect. His proportions and symmetry are unrivaled, and he always comes in, in almost impeccable condition. If Dexter was to win, I believe it could be the start of a change back towards the more aesthetic origins of bodybuilding.

Has anyone seen the recent pictures from Dexter's guest posing with Wolf and Dennis James? In those pictures it looks like Dexter has definitely put on some size since the last time we saw him. It will be interesting to see if when the Olympia comes around and he's dieted down if he's still noticably larger than his previous shows, because Dexter is a guy know for only making subtle changes (5 to 10 pounds) from year to year.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
It really is a shame that Victor got hurt and isn't going to be competing this year. I believe he had the best chance of defeating Cutler. Everyone knows he should have won last year and I believe that the IFBB had probably heard enough about how they fowled up the decision last year, and I don't think they would have done it again. Especially if it came down to the same two guys, and if Victor once again was clearly ahead of the Jay.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I think Vic would have been a very strong contender for the Mr. O and had a very good chance of winning it.

Wolf will place high, however I am virtually certain he will not actually win it. Part of being Mr. O is speaking English semi-well which I believe he is still struggling with.

Dexter Jackson is probably single-handedly the most under appreciated bb'er today. His conditioning is ridiculous, he has striations everywhere, and rarely is he ever off. Plus he is proportional and has a more balanced physique, IMO.

Jay Gutler needs to retire after this win. I'd hate to keep seeing the Mr. O wasted on him.

Only after literally drugging himself up to the point where is head looks weird was he able to beat Ronnie. That was after Ronnie had an injury not because Jay had a better physique.

Jay's left quad is larger than the right and he's always watery in the upper body. At best he's maybe #5. There are many more athletes that look better than him.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't mind seeing Toney Freeman take it. His physique is pretty awesome as well. Lately he's been struggling with his conditioning, probably age catching up with him.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't mind seeing Toney Freeman take it. His physique is pretty awesome as well. Lately he's been struggling with his conditioning, probably age catching up with him.
Freeman has a good physique, but like you said he isn't bringing the conditioning. If I remember right he didn't even crack the top 10 last year.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If Branch competes hell be a sight to see.....he's put on alot of mass....still not the most pleasing but he's a freak!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought Will Harris looked great last year too, id like to see him place higher.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
I thought Will Harris looked great last year too, id like to see him place higher.
I think Harris has a great physique. It's very aesthetically pleasing, even more so than Jay's physique. He's managed to put on a lot of size while keeping his waist narrow. I agree that I could definitely see him placing a lot higher this year, but definitely not winning.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Harris has a great physique. It's very aesthetically pleasing, even more so than Jay's physique. He's managed to put on a lot of size while keeping his waist narrow. I agree that I could definitely see him placing a lot higher this year, but definitely not winning.
exactly why i like him. the way he posed at last years o was great imo too, he took command of the stage and had good posing. alot of mass and narrow waist.

just looked at the IFBB Ironman Pro 2008 pics on bb.com and Harris looks smooth, not too good. Phil Heath is very impressive look at those pics, he is the most conditioned of all of them. Heath i was never a fan of but man he is looking like the real deal in those pics.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
exactly why i like him. the way he posed at last years o was great imo too, he took command of the stage and had good posing. alot of mass and narrow waist.

just looked at the IFBB Ironman Pro 2008 pics on bb.com and Harris looks smooth, not too good. Phil Heath is very impressive look at those pics, he is the most conditioned of all of them. Heath i was never a fan of but man he is looking like the real deal in those pics.
Heath is going to be a real contender at the Olympia here in the next couple years. I don't think he's quite ready yet though. Did he qualify for the O? The way he has transformed his physique in the last two years is absolutely amazing.

PP, have you seen this deleted scene from Bigger Stronger Faster. The part where he is talking with Harris and Harris is posing is ridiculous. That back double bi pose is incredible.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it will be wolf or dexter. Both are always on par, and with victor and kai out, I cant see it being Jay again

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
I think it will be wolf or dexter. Both are always on par, and with victor and kai out, I cant see it being Jay again
Its going to be Jay. Someone on MD just posted pics and he is looking solid right now. Fukcin huge tris. If he comes in conditioned like crazy and he should after being on top 2 years he know what to do and what works now, i am disappointed to say, He will win, and it will be earned.

I would like to see Dex,Phil,Kai,Vic place top 3 but that wont happen being 2 are out, Phil doesnt have the size, and Dex is going to end up top 3 though being Kai and Phil is out. Branch will pull 5th or 6th. Dont forget about Johnny JAckson.

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
yes phil qualified for the O. He took 1st in the Iron man in LA.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
some of you guys are forgetting one thing... what they are looking for in a winner is who ever is the best ambassador to the sport, this sport has had such a bad reputation right now from the steroids fall out that a guy with a criminal record (victor) will not win, a guy who might retire next year (dexter) will not win, a guy who can not speak English well (wolf) will not win... its all about politics and right now Jay is the front runner he's the best spoken of them all with no bad record and he can be marketable

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
some of you guys are forgetting one thing... what they are looking for in a winner is who ever is the best ambassador to the sport, this sport has had such a bad reputation right now from the steroids fall out that a guy with a criminal record (victor) will not win, a guy who might retire next year (dexter) will not win, a guy who can not speak English well (wolf) will not win... its all about politics and right now Jay is the front runner he's the best spoken of them all with no bad record and he can be marketable
I get your point. Yet, after the debacle of last year, Jay has to be pretty convincing to be awarded victory, regardless of how ambassadorial he is. I know there is a lot of politics in play, plus the advantage of being an incumbent. These are to Jay's advantage. Still, if he is off-shape, for whatever reason, or if someone else is more convincing overall, Jay just will not get it.
Dexter finally deserves a win. He has consistently demonstrated the finest in bodybuilding. Symmetry and perfection should once again prevail over size. Considering that Dexter might retire soon, if he comes in in mind-blowing condition, it will be hard to deny him victory. Mr. Cutler is not the finest bodybuilding currently has to offer. There is a limit to which questionable judge decisions can be accepted by the audience and fans. Those decisions will only damage the sport long-term.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand why manby believe that Jay will win, and yes that logic makes sense. However by the same token, there is thought that this is it for Jay, so usingthe logic a few posts above, he might not get it due to the possible retirement.

I really think that it will be Dex over Wolf, Phil and Jay. He has been the far most consistent out of all the pros. He is spot on at every show and every time on stage. It might just be his time.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand why manby believe that Jay will win, and yes that logic makes sense. However by the same token, there is thought that this is it for Jay, so usingthe logic a few posts above, he might not get it due to the possible retirement.

I really think that it will be Dex over Wolf, Phil and Jay. He has been the far most consistent out of all the pros. He is spot on at every show and every time on stage. It might just be his time.
i hope so.