Why do People compete when the prize money sucks?

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
It makes me sad that there are people out there who think that there’s good money in bodybuilding. I see guys getting ready for the Olympia And the guys that compete like say men’s physique, First place may walk away with 20 grand? What the **** is that? 20,000 for first place and the Mr. Olympia? That’s a ****ing joke!!! To sacrifice everything and give up a social life, dirty foods, and whatever else because you want to win $20,000 at Mr. Olympia.

WillisRHood

Awards
I do think a lot of the successful bodybuilders leverage their winnings Into opening their own supplement or clothing companies. That’s where they make the real money.

dillface02241

dillface02241

Awards
  • First Up Vote
like any other sport, the money is not necessarily in the actual sport but more so in the endorsements.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know a few guys who compete who are dead broke. It’s definitely not something you do for the money. Only the top level bodybuilders make serious money and that’s mainly from sponsorship etc.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
like any other sport, the money is not necessarily in the actual sport but more so in the endorsements.
Well there are a few sports of the top of my head where guys get guaranteed money before they compete. Can someone explain to me why they cant increase the prize money in bodybuilding? The sport makes a **** load of money through supplements and many of the people who have power in the IFBB for example are making tons of money (Millions upon millions) from running their own business. There has to be a way that they can increase the prize money right?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well there are a few sports of the top of my head where guys get guaranteed money before they compete. Can someone explain to me why they cant increase the prize money in bodybuilding? The sport makes a **** load of money through supplements and many of the people who have power in the IFBB for example are making tons of money (Millions upon millions) from running their own business. There has to be a way that they can increase the prize money right?
where you're wrong is the sport of bodybuilding makes almost ZERO money... people don't want to pay to watch the stage, they pay for the supps and such. The competition is literally just a piece of the history of BB really.

Look at how people make money using their physiques; its instagram/social media/etc and the things they sell, not them. People don't want to pay to see the athletes, they pay to look like them using whatever tehy're selling.

until supp companies become more interested in their athletes than they are in making money, the athletes will always get the shaft.

Country

Awards
competing is a great feeling yes there is no money but through social media and other outlets you build your brand. I make more writing prep or diets for people than i ever made on stage. I do training seminars, i own a small studio where i train other sports athletes as well as tbeir diet. Ive made 6 figures training clients and doing diets for college athletes as well as a few pros. I offer diet, training, and massage work in my studio. Funny crossfit gyms are getting 250$ a membership ****ing crazy

Country

Awards
where you're wrong is the sport of bodybuilding makes almost ZERO money... people don't want to pay to watch the stage, they pay for the supps and such. The competition is literally just a piece of the history of BB really.

Look at how people make money using their physiques; its instagram/social media/etc and the things they sell, not them. People don't want to pay to see the athletes, they pay to look like them using whatever tehy're selling.

until supp companies become more interested in their athletes than they are in making money, the athletes will always get the shaft.
Nail on the head

Country

Awards
The winnings from the big shows dont come close to cover the food gear travel its a joke. I made more at the Arnold expo 2 yrs ago then if i won