Preparation for military - AnabolicMinds.com

Preparation for military

  1. Rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    Preparation for military


    Alright, so I'm planning on joining the Air Force para rescue soon and I'm already pretty fit. But I know it's not enough. I wanna be more than ready physically and mentally when I go that I would be ahead of the game. Any training routines, exercises or anything that I can do to achieve that goal. I can never get to the gym by the way because I have no car so I just do all my exercises at home

  2. sports100's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Reputation

    How is your body setup, because I am currently in the Army and when I joined i was built like an ox but due to basic training they had me cut 20lbs due to the quantity and quality of food I had to eat. Now if your smaller sized they will tend to allow your more time to intake but not on a daily basis. Make sure your as prepared as you can be because once it comes theres no stopping it and if your body's not prepared from you doing a bulking phase or cutting phase before. You might have a hard time coping with the changes in meals
  3. Rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by sports100 View Post
    How is your body setup, because I am currently in the Army and when I joined i was built like an ox but due to basic training they had me cut 20lbs due to the quantity and quality of food I had to eat. Now if your smaller sized they will tend to allow your more time to intake but not on a daily basis. Make sure your as prepared as you can be because once it comes theres no stopping it and if your body's not prepared from you doing a bulking phase or cutting phase before. You might have a hard time coping with the changes in meals
    Well what should I expect, just so I could get the idea of what's to come
    •   
       

  4. Rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodel View Post

    Well what should I expect, just so I could get the idea of what's to come
    And right now I'm 5'11 158lbs, gained some fat probably :/
  5. sports100's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodel View Post
    And right now I'm 5'11 158lbs, gained some fat probably :/
    Not bad for the military. If youve been working out for a while you should be to bad off. You need endurance though. If your not a runner now you will be made to be. Im sure youve been shown your PT Test standards. If not you have push ups, sit-ups, and i believe a 1.5 mile run(Army does a 2 mile). Only reason i say that is because im unsure if its the same or less, we always joke that it is less but just look it up. Do low weight high reps in the short time you have until you join and youll be fine. Basic training is more mental for anyone that are not giant.
  6. CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719847

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Basic training is a joke. PJs is no fcking joke. Will will need to be dominant in running and swimming. Endurance and stamina will be crucial as will having a high level of work capacity. On top of all that, you'll need to be mentally on point and be ready to play fck fck games.

    I've been through a similar pipeline, different service.

    You said you cannot go to the gym and workout at home. Do you have weights at all or are you working just body weights and calisthenics?

    A lot on here will disagree and make a lot of valid or seemingly sound arguments against my following recommendation, but they have never been through this type of training nor do they do this type of job for a living, but I would look into Crossfit, Gym Jones, or Military Athlete.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  7. Russianog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    41642

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Basic training is a joke. PJs is no fcking joke. Will will need to be dominant in running and swimming. Endurance and stamina will be crucial as will having a high level of work capacity. On top of all that, you'll need to be mentally on point and be ready to play fck fck games.

    I've been through a similar pipeline, different service.

    You said you cannot go to the gym and workout at home. Do you have weights at all or are you working just body weights and calisthenics?

    A lot on here will disagree and make a lot of valid or seemingly sound arguments against my following recommendation, but they have never been through this type of training nor do they do this type of job for a living, but I would look into Crossfit, Gym Jones, or Military Athlete.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    I concur

    Endurance and stamina are the strongest focus here. As well as that mental prep he's talking about.
    OBSESSED is a word the LAZY use to describe the DEDICATED.
    Beast Mode RECOMP: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/224356-beast-mode recomp.html
  8. Rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    Thanks guys, yeah I haven't been doing so well the past couple days, specially with my diet.. But I plan on kicking ass tomorrow being that I basically had 4 days of rest. I do have weights resistance bands and a 20lb wright vest imma start running with and doing push and pull ups with. And I'm really trying to get serious because I do wanna be a PJ
  9. dubfungus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    1505

    Reputation

    You wont go straight para rescue fyi
  10. Rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dubfungus View Post
    You wont go straight para rescue fyi
    I figured, it's a year of training and some
  11. CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,254
    Rep Power
    719847

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I think he was referring to the possibility that you would need to enlist, and have a certain amount of time in service or rank before you can go PJ.

    You may not though. There may be the ability to come in on contract to go straight to schooling after basic training. Granted, if you can pass the screening.

    Pretty sure the pipeline is about as long as mine was, so probably looking about 18 months of schools outside of basic. Things like an indoctrination/basic course, jump school, combat dive and dive medicine school, SERE, SOCM, etc. Be prepared to have gaps between classes too where you wait to class up. Which can extend your training time even longer. A lot of these schools will be with the Army, such as airborne and SOCM.

    Airborne is easy. Your first indoctrination course (whatever they call it for PJs) will most likely be the hardest, followed by combat dive and any other that may relate specifically to PJ. The hardest I don't want to say mentally, but education/intelligence wise will hands down be SOCM.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  12. Rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I think he was referring to the possibility that you would need to enlist, and have a certain amount of time in service or rank before you can go PJ.

    You may not though. There may be the ability to come in on contract to go straight to schooling after basic training. Granted, if you can pass the screening.

    Pretty sure the pipeline is about as long as mine was, so probably looking about 18 months of schools outside of basic. Things like an indoctrination/basic course, jump school, combat dive and dive medicine school, SERE, SOCM, etc. Be prepared to have gaps between classes too where you wait to class up. Which can extend your training time even longer. A lot of these schools will be with the Army, such as airborne and SOCM.

    Airborne is easy. Your first indoctrination course (whatever they call it for PJs) will most likely be the hardest, followed by combat dive and any other that may relate specifically to PJ. The hardest I don't want to say mentally, but education/intelligence wise will hands down be SOCM.
    Sounds like a lot to be prepared for, at least now I know what to expect before hand. I'll see what are the rules before becoming a PJ and how long I have to be in service for it
  13. dubfungus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    1505

    Reputation

    . You cannot volunteer to take the PAST for PJ or CCT during basic training. If you do not have a GTEP (guaranteed contract) for either PJ or CCT consider yourself property of the big blue Air Force.

    Due to the number of GTEP contracts we've gotten in the past couple of years .. we have no need to ask for volunteers during basic training and have ended that practice. Unless A LOT of people simply can't pass the PAST .. you aren't going to be asked to volunteer.

    So, if you want to become a PJ you need to decide prior to enlisting and you need to ensure your recruiter gets you a GTEP for PJ. You will have to pass the PAST prior to getting the contract.

    Also ensure you are physically fit, if you can't MAX the PAST and take it again directly after with a decent score, you aren't ready. The PAST test will be the easiest thing you do for PJ indoc. Remember that.

    If you are truly interested in Pararescue go over to www/specialtactics/com. Read through the website then join the forums and read through the Pararescue section. 99% of any questions you may have about Pararescue will be answered by doing that .. anything else you are welcome to ask and a PJ will answer it for you
  14. Rodel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    836

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dubfungus View Post
    . You cannot volunteer to take the PAST for PJ or CCT during basic training. If you do not have a GTEP (guaranteed contract) for either PJ or CCT consider yourself property of the big blue Air Force.

    Due to the number of GTEP contracts we've gotten in the past couple of years .. we have no need to ask for volunteers during basic training and have ended that practice. Unless A LOT of people simply can't pass the PAST .. you aren't going to be asked to volunteer.

    So, if you want to become a PJ you need to decide prior to enlisting and you need to ensure your recruiter gets you a GTEP for PJ. You will have to pass the PAST prior to getting the contract.

    Also ensure you are physically fit, if you can't MAX the PAST and take it again directly after with a decent score, you aren't ready. The PAST test will be the easiest thing you do for PJ indoc. Remember that.

    If you are truly interested in Pararescue go over to www/specialtactics/com. Read through the website then join the forums and read through the Pararescue section. 99% of any questions you may have about Pararescue will be answered by doing that .. anything else you are welcome to ask and a PJ will answer it for you
    Dude thanks tons!!!
  15. Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    175946

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dubfungus View Post
    . You cannot volunteer to take the PAST for PJ or CCT during basic training. If you do not have a GTEP (guaranteed contract) for either PJ or CCT consider yourself property of the big blue Air Force.

    Due to the number of GTEP contracts we've gotten in the past couple of years .. we have no need to ask for volunteers during basic training and have ended that practice. Unless A LOT of people simply can't pass the PAST .. you aren't going to be asked to volunteer.

    So, if you want to become a PJ you need to decide prior to enlisting and you need to ensure your recruiter gets you a GTEP for PJ. You will have to pass the PAST prior to getting the contract.

    Also ensure you are physically fit, if you can't MAX the PAST and take it again directly after with a decent score, you aren't ready. The PAST test will be the easiest thing you do for PJ indoc. Remember that.

    If you are truly interested in Pararescue go over to www/specialtactics/com. Read through the website then join the forums and read through the Pararescue section. 99% of any questions you may have about Pararescue will be answered by doing that .. anything else you are welcome to ask and a PJ will answer it for you
    Very smart man....
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  16. anabolix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    61

    Reputation

    If i was in your situation, i would start doing a crossfit style workout and definitely include lots of pushups/situps/pullups. I would also start running a few days a week to get a jump in that area also.
  17. Drizzie88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    175946

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by anabolix View Post
    If i was in your situation, i would start doing a crossfit style workout and definitely include lots of pushups/situps/pullups. I would also start running a few days a week to get a jump in that area also.
    Swim, swim, swim. The pool is where they find the weak ones. I hooked this guy up with a good workout regimen. He should be set if he puts his mind and body to work.
    I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. - Lou Holtz
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How do you prepare for your workout??
    By justin00008 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
  2. Hospitals prepare for growing ranks of obese
    By yeahright in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 04:17 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
  4. Bench position for military press
    By CyberMuscle in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 07:56 AM
  5. Preparing for PFT
    By random in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO