Preparation for military

Rodel

Awards
Alright, so I'm planning on joining the Air Force para rescue soon and I'm already pretty fit. But I know it's not enough. I wanna be more than ready physically and mentally when I go that I would be ahead of the game. Any training routines, exercises or anything that I can do to achieve that goal. I can never get to the gym by the way because I have no car so I just do all my exercises at home

sports100

Awards
How is your body setup, because I am currently in the Army and when I joined i was built like an ox but due to basic training they had me cut 20lbs due to the quantity and quality of food I had to eat. Now if your smaller sized they will tend to allow your more time to intake but not on a daily basis. Make sure your as prepared as you can be because once it comes theres no stopping it and if your body's not prepared from you doing a bulking phase or cutting phase before. You might have a hard time coping with the changes in meals

Rodel

Awards
How is your body setup, because I am currently in the Army and when I joined i was built like an ox but due to basic training they had me cut 20lbs due to the quantity and quality of food I had to eat. Now if your smaller sized they will tend to allow your more time to intake but not on a daily basis. Make sure your as prepared as you can be because once it comes theres no stopping it and if your body's not prepared from you doing a bulking phase or cutting phase before. You might have a hard time coping with the changes in meals
Well what should I expect, just so I could get the idea of what's to come

sports100

Awards
And right now I'm 5'11 158lbs, gained some fat probably :/
Not bad for the military. If youve been working out for a while you should be to bad off. You need endurance though. If your not a runner now you will be made to be. Im sure youve been shown your PT Test standards. If not you have push ups, sit-ups, and i believe a 1.5 mile run(Army does a 2 mile). Only reason i say that is because im unsure if its the same or less, we always joke that it is less but just look it up. Do low weight high reps in the short time you have until you join and youll be fine. Basic training is more mental for anyone that are not giant.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Basic training is a joke. PJs is no fûcking joke. Will will need to be dominant in running and swimming. Endurance and stamina will be crucial as will having a high level of work capacity. On top of all that, you'll need to be mentally on point and be ready to play fûck fûck games.

I've been through a similar pipeline, different service.

You said you cannot go to the gym and workout at home. Do you have weights at all or are you working just body weights and calisthenics?

A lot on here will disagree and make a lot of valid or seemingly sound arguments against my following recommendation, but they have never been through this type of training nor do they do this type of job for a living, but I would look into Crossfit, Gym Jones, or Military Athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Russianog

Russianog

Awards
Basic training is a joke. PJs is no fûcking joke. Will will need to be dominant in running and swimming. Endurance and stamina will be crucial as will having a high level of work capacity. On top of all that, you'll need to be mentally on point and be ready to play fûck fûck games.

I've been through a similar pipeline, different service.

You said you cannot go to the gym and workout at home. Do you have weights at all or are you working just body weights and calisthenics?

A lot on here will disagree and make a lot of valid or seemingly sound arguments against my following recommendation, but they have never been through this type of training nor do they do this type of job for a living, but I would look into Crossfit, Gym Jones, or Military Athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
I concur

Endurance and stamina are the strongest focus here. As well as that mental prep he's talking about.

Rodel

Awards
Thanks guys, yeah I haven't been doing so well the past couple days, specially with my diet.. But I plan on kicking ass tomorrow being that I basically had 4 days of rest. I do have weights resistance bands and a 20lb wright vest imma start running with and doing push and pull ups with. And I'm really trying to get serious because I do wanna be a PJ

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think he was referring to the possibility that you would need to enlist, and have a certain amount of time in service or rank before you can go PJ.

You may not though. There may be the ability to come in on contract to go straight to schooling after basic training. Granted, if you can pass the screening.

Pretty sure the pipeline is about as long as mine was, so probably looking about 18 months of schools outside of basic. Things like an indoctrination/basic course, jump school, combat dive and dive medicine school, SERE, SOCM, etc. Be prepared to have gaps between classes too where you wait to class up. Which can extend your training time even longer. A lot of these schools will be with the Army, such as airborne and SOCM.

Airborne is easy. Your first indoctrination course (whatever they call it for PJs) will most likely be the hardest, followed by combat dive and any other that may relate specifically to PJ. The hardest I don't want to say mentally, but education/intelligence wise will hands down be SOCM.

Rodel

Awards
I think he was referring to the possibility that you would need to enlist, and have a certain amount of time in service or rank before you can go PJ.

You may not though. There may be the ability to come in on contract to go straight to schooling after basic training. Granted, if you can pass the screening.

Pretty sure the pipeline is about as long as mine was, so probably looking about 18 months of schools outside of basic. Things like an indoctrination/basic course, jump school, combat dive and dive medicine school, SERE, SOCM, etc. Be prepared to have gaps between classes too where you wait to class up. Which can extend your training time even longer. A lot of these schools will be with the Army, such as airborne and SOCM.

Airborne is easy. Your first indoctrination course (whatever they call it for PJs) will most likely be the hardest, followed by combat dive and any other that may relate specifically to PJ. The hardest I don't want to say mentally, but education/intelligence wise will hands down be SOCM.
Sounds like a lot to be prepared for, at least now I know what to expect before hand. I'll see what are the rules before becoming a PJ and how long I have to be in service for it

dubfungus

Awards
. You cannot volunteer to take the PAST for PJ or CCT during basic training. If you do not have a GTEP (guaranteed contract) for either PJ or CCT consider yourself property of the big blue Air Force.

Due to the number of GTEP contracts we've gotten in the past couple of years .. we have no need to ask for volunteers during basic training and have ended that practice. Unless A LOT of people simply can't pass the PAST .. you aren't going to be asked to volunteer.

So, if you want to become a PJ you need to decide prior to enlisting and you need to ensure your recruiter gets you a GTEP for PJ. You will have to pass the PAST prior to getting the contract.

Also ensure you are physically fit, if you can't MAX the PAST and take it again directly after with a decent score, you aren't ready. The PAST test will be the easiest thing you do for PJ indoc. Remember that.

If you are truly interested in Pararescue go over to www/specialtactics/com. Read through the website then join the forums and read through the Pararescue section. 99% of any questions you may have about Pararescue will be answered by doing that .. anything else you are welcome to ask and a PJ will answer it for you

Rodel

Awards
. You cannot volunteer to take the PAST for PJ or CCT during basic training. If you do not have a GTEP (guaranteed contract) for either PJ or CCT consider yourself property of the big blue Air Force.

Due to the number of GTEP contracts we've gotten in the past couple of years .. we have no need to ask for volunteers during basic training and have ended that practice. Unless A LOT of people simply can't pass the PAST .. you aren't going to be asked to volunteer.

So, if you want to become a PJ you need to decide prior to enlisting and you need to ensure your recruiter gets you a GTEP for PJ. You will have to pass the PAST prior to getting the contract.

Also ensure you are physically fit, if you can't MAX the PAST and take it again directly after with a decent score, you aren't ready. The PAST test will be the easiest thing you do for PJ indoc. Remember that.

If you are truly interested in Pararescue go over to www/specialtactics/com. Read through the website then join the forums and read through the Pararescue section. 99% of any questions you may have about Pararescue will be answered by doing that .. anything else you are welcome to ask and a PJ will answer it for you
Dude thanks tons!!!

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established

Very smart man....

anabolix

Awards
  • Established
If i was in your situation, i would start doing a crossfit style workout and definitely include lots of pushups/situps/pullups. I would also start running a few days a week to get a jump in that area also.

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
If i was in your situation, i would start doing a crossfit style workout and definitely include lots of pushups/situps/pullups. I would also start running a few days a week to get a jump in that area also.
Swim, swim, swim. The pool is where they find the weak ones. I hooked this guy up with a good workout regimen. He should be set if he puts his mind and body to work.