Best exercises for chest volume?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

I just changed up my chest exercise this week and this is how I wrote it out. Gonna try the superset route for intensity... How does this look fellas?

(warmup) HS Incline Press - 7 sets, 40sec rest
    DB Incline Bench SS DB Incline Flys - 4 sets
    DB Flat Bench SS Pec Dec Flys - 4 sets
    Dips SS Cable Flys - 4 sets

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.53%

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    I just changed up my chest exercise this week and this is how I wrote it out. Gonna try the superset route for intensity... How does this look fellas?

(warmup) HS Incline Press - 7 sets, 40sec rest
    DB Incline Bench SS DB Incline Flys - 4 sets
    DB Flat Bench SS Pec Dec Flys - 4 sets
    Dips SS Cable Flys - 4 sets
    too many supersets.Also start with a compound movement.

So Incline DB Press
    Flat DB Bench
    Dips
    Then Hammer Incline Press for when your fatigued.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.34%

I think that the pecs are a muscle group that hits frequent plateaus-Just keep changing up your routines and keep your muscles confused. Weighted push-ups, dumbbell presses (normal and incline), decline barbell press (wide grip), cable fly, dumbbell fly, and heavy machine dips 2-3 times a week should give you the volume and 3-D look that you are searching for. Basic pressing movements gives you the opportunity to work many groups with one exercise versus isolation. I would do barbell bench presses for a few weeks just to ensure that everything can handle isolated exercises.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'm a huge fan of dumbell flies for chest volume. They really give me the depth I need
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

Quote Originally Posted by Roniboney

too many supersets.Also start with a compound movement.

So Incline DB Press
    Flat DB Bench
    Dips
    Then Hammer Incline Press for when your fatigued.
    I need to warmup on HS first cuz of my joints and I feel it's a safety precaution for my shoulders. I never heard of too mang supersets lol I superset my entire Tri/Bi workout so I figure I give my friend's pre-contest chest routine a go. I know by supersetting you won't really have the strongest lifts but I'm not concerned about how much I am lifting since the muscles don't know how much you put on the bar. I am all about fatiguing the muscle and keeping the workout intensity high. I respect your opinion though and I wouldn't do this routine if I was bulking but I'm trying to lean out a lil bit and really tone my chest out more
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.56%

IMO theres not one move for a complete chest. if ya want it all ya gotta do it all.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

Quote Originally Posted by 16dawg23
    IMO theres not one move for a complete chest. if ya want it all ya gotta do it all.
    I agree. You gotta hit the chest from each angle. Incline, Flat and Decline. I personally do Dips instea of Decline Presses though
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.38%

Quote Originally Posted by 16dawg23 View Post
    This isn't true. The chest is one muscle and is worked as a whole. You can the two specific heads of the pec (clavicular, sternal) but to say there's no one specific move for chest development is fictional. Bench presses work every single aspect of the chest.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.64%
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.56%

ok,that my be true,but just couse bench works the "whole" dosen't mean you'll develop the way you could if you hit it at every angle, i see guys that limit what they do on chest and there missing out.
  11. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.62%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

For me and many others, incline presses and flies. I know a lot of guys that will start with flat bench just because they feel they should start with flat bench because its the first exercise so they are feeling the strongest. Ever since I switched from starting with flat bench first and going to incline bench first, my chest has started to thicken up more. Obviously everyone has their own routine, but if you haven't tried before, switch up the order of ur chest exercises and see what that does for ya.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.09%

I think with guys like me that have longer arms decline and incline work the best. Flat bench seems to hit my shoulders and tris more than anything else
    T2
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

I know you are supposed to switch up your routine and stuff but when it comes to chest I always start my workout on Incline. When I first started working out I use to focus on flat bench 1st. I gained good strength but I hated how my upper chest was lagging. Lately I warmup on Hammer Strength Incline presses to get some blood flow into the muscle and warmup my elbow and shoulder joints and tendons. Than I will either do Barbell or Dumbbell Incline presses
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.32%

Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    This isn't true. The chest is one muscle and is worked as a whole. You can the two specific heads of the pec (clavicular, sternal) but to say there's no one specific move for chest development is fictional. Bench presses work every single aspect of the chest.
    I definitely wouldn't claim to be an expert in methods of chest development, but there are actually two separate pectoralis muscles (what people are usually talking about when they are talking about the chest): pec major and pec minor.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.4%

Make sure you clench your back on your pressing movements as well, it'll put more load on your chest and less on you shoulders.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by rambofireball View Post
    I definitely wouldn't claim to be an expert in methods of chest development, but there are actually two separate pectoralis muscles (what people are usually talking about when they are talking about the chest): pec major and pec minor.
    Yeah but pec minor lies deep to pec major, so will have little affect on chest development. Have a look at pec minor from a anatomy book or webpage, you'll see that specificlally targetting this (which isnt possible) will not develop overall chest.

Only thing to note is, is that pecmajor muscle fibers run latitudunally (i.e. side to side, not up and down) and so developing 'inner' chest and 'outer' chest seperatly is not possible. Once a muscle fiber is activated, the whole fiber (from one side to another) is activated, resulting in the entire pac major being developed. However because the fibers run latitudinally, you can target upper and lower pec (clavicle and sternal) with incline and decline
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Yeah but pec minor lies deep to pec major, so will have little affect on chest development. Have a look at pec minor from a anatomy book or webpage, you'll see that specificlally targetting this (which isnt possible) will not develop overall chest.

Only thing to note is, is that pecmajor muscle fibers run latitudunally (i.e. side to side, not up and down) and so developing 'inner' chest and 'outer' chest seperatly is not possible. Once a muscle fiber is activated, the whole fiber (from one side to another) is activated, resulting in the entire pac major being developed. However because the fibers run latitudinally, you can target upper and lower pec (clavicle and sternal) with incline and decline
    True that.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.57%

Box Push Up

The slight incline of the boxes emphasizes your lower chest a little more, improving muscle separation and definition in this hard-to-hit area.

Set Up: Place two sturdy 8-10 inch high boxes on the floor about two feet apart- wide enough so that your torso can fit between them - and place one hand on each box in the center. Extend your legs behind you and lift your hips into a push up position, abs tight and head neutral.

Bend your elbows and slowly lower your body toward the floor between the boxes keeping your abs tight and your back straight.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest exercises with shoulder injury
    By mjswss57 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 10:15 PM
  2. Chest isolation exercises
    By AntonG42O in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
  3. Chest exercises....
    By RickWolves in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2