Best exercises for chest volume?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46443
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

    I just changed up my chest exercise this week and this is how I wrote it out. Gonna try the superset route for intensity... How does this look fellas?

    (warmup) HS Incline Press - 7 sets, 40sec rest
    DB Incline Bench SS DB Incline Flys - 4 sets
    DB Flat Bench SS Pec Dec Flys - 4 sets
    Dips SS Cable Flys - 4 sets

  2. Advanced Member
    Roniboney's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    516
    Rep Power
    11784
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    95.53%

    Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    I just changed up my chest exercise this week and this is how I wrote it out. Gonna try the superset route for intensity... How does this look fellas?

    (warmup) HS Incline Press - 7 sets, 40sec rest
    DB Incline Bench SS DB Incline Flys - 4 sets
    DB Flat Bench SS Pec Dec Flys - 4 sets
    Dips SS Cable Flys - 4 sets
    too many supersets.Also start with a compound movement.

    So Incline DB Press
    Flat DB Bench
    Dips
    Then Hammer Incline Press for when your fatigued.
  3. New Member
    chrisrob05's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    138
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    65.34%

    I think that the pecs are a muscle group that hits frequent plateaus-Just keep changing up your routines and keep your muscles confused. Weighted push-ups, dumbbell presses (normal and incline), decline barbell press (wide grip), cable fly, dumbbell fly, and heavy machine dips 2-3 times a week should give you the volume and 3-D look that you are searching for. Basic pressing movements gives you the opportunity to work many groups with one exercise versus isolation. I would do barbell bench presses for a few weeks just to ensure that everything can handle isolated exercises.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Rep Power
    258615
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    10%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I'm a huge fan of dumbell flies for chest volume. They really give me the depth I need
  5. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46443
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

    Quote Originally Posted by Roniboney

    too many supersets.Also start with a compound movement.

    So Incline DB Press
    Flat DB Bench
    Dips
    Then Hammer Incline Press for when your fatigued.
    I need to warmup on HS first cuz of my joints and I feel it's a safety precaution for my shoulders. I never heard of too mang supersets lol I superset my entire Tri/Bi workout so I figure I give my friend's pre-contest chest routine a go. I know by supersetting you won't really have the strongest lifts but I'm not concerned about how much I am lifting since the muscles don't know how much you put on the bar. I am all about fatiguing the muscle and keeping the workout intensity high. I respect your opinion though and I wouldn't do this routine if I was bulking but I'm trying to lean out a lil bit and really tone my chest out more
  6. New Member
    16dawg23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    715
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    60.56%

    IMO theres not one move for a complete chest. if ya want it all ya gotta do it all.
  7. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46443
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

    Quote Originally Posted by 16dawg23
    IMO theres not one move for a complete chest. if ya want it all ya gotta do it all.
    I agree. You gotta hit the chest from each angle. Incline, Flat and Decline. I personally do Dips instea of Decline Presses though
  8. Advanced Member
    kingk0ng's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    122332
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    58.38%

    Quote Originally Posted by 16dawg23 View Post
    IMO theres not one move for a complete chest. if ya want it all ya gotta do it all.
    This isn't true. The chest is one muscle and is worked as a whole. You can the two specific heads of the pec (clavicular, sternal) but to say there's no one specific move for chest development is fictional. Bench presses work every single aspect of the chest.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  9. Advanced Member
    JajaNe20's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    138762
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    36.64%
  10. New Member
    16dawg23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    715
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    60.56%

    ok,that my be true,but just couse bench works the "whole" dosen't mean you'll develop the way you could if you hit it at every angle, i see guys that limit what they do on chest and there missing out.
  11. Elite Member
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,227
    Rep Power
    6721914
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    52.62%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    For me and many others, incline presses and flies. I know a lot of guys that will start with flat bench just because they feel they should start with flat bench because its the first exercise so they are feeling the strongest. Ever since I switched from starting with flat bench first and going to incline bench first, my chest has started to thicken up more. Obviously everyone has their own routine, but if you haven't tried before, switch up the order of ur chest exercises and see what that does for ya.
  12. Advanced Member
    schroedes's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    555
    Rep Power
    5615
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    34.09%

    I think with guys like me that have longer arms decline and incline work the best. Flat bench seems to hit my shoulders and tris more than anything else
    T2
  13. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46443
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    82.87%

    I know you are supposed to switch up your routine and stuff but when it comes to chest I always start my workout on Incline. When I first started working out I use to focus on flat bench 1st. I gained good strength but I hated how my upper chest was lagging. Lately I warmup on Hammer Strength Incline presses to get some blood flow into the muscle and warmup my elbow and shoulder joints and tendons. Than I will either do Barbell or Dumbbell Incline presses
  14. New Member
    rambofireball's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    12242
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    15.32%

    Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    This isn't true. The chest is one muscle and is worked as a whole. You can the two specific heads of the pec (clavicular, sternal) but to say there's no one specific move for chest development is fictional. Bench presses work every single aspect of the chest.
    I definitely wouldn't claim to be an expert in methods of chest development, but there are actually two separate pectoralis muscles (what people are usually talking about when they are talking about the chest): pec major and pec minor.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
  15. New Member
    MusclestoGo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    312
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    25.4%

    Make sure you clench your back on your pressing movements as well, it'll put more load on your chest and less on you shoulders.
  16. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    5371257
    Level
    85
    Lv. Percent
    19.8%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by rambofireball View Post
    I definitely wouldn't claim to be an expert in methods of chest development, but there are actually two separate pectoralis muscles (what people are usually talking about when they are talking about the chest): pec major and pec minor.
    Yeah but pec minor lies deep to pec major, so will have little affect on chest development. Have a look at pec minor from a anatomy book or webpage, you'll see that specificlally targetting this (which isnt possible) will not develop overall chest.

    Only thing to note is, is that pecmajor muscle fibers run latitudunally (i.e. side to side, not up and down) and so developing 'inner' chest and 'outer' chest seperatly is not possible. Once a muscle fiber is activated, the whole fiber (from one side to another) is activated, resulting in the entire pac major being developed. However because the fibers run latitudinally, you can target upper and lower pec (clavicle and sternal) with incline and decline
  17. New Member
    rambofireball's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    12242
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    15.32%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Yeah but pec minor lies deep to pec major, so will have little affect on chest development. Have a look at pec minor from a anatomy book or webpage, you'll see that specificlally targetting this (which isnt possible) will not develop overall chest.

    Only thing to note is, is that pecmajor muscle fibers run latitudunally (i.e. side to side, not up and down) and so developing 'inner' chest and 'outer' chest seperatly is not possible. Once a muscle fiber is activated, the whole fiber (from one side to another) is activated, resulting in the entire pac major being developed. However because the fibers run latitudinally, you can target upper and lower pec (clavicle and sternal) with incline and decline
    True that.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
  18. New Member
    blueice's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    378
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    5.57%

    Box Push Up


    The slight incline of the boxes emphasizes your lower chest a little more, improving muscle separation and definition in this hard-to-hit area.

    Set Up: Place two sturdy 8-10 inch high boxes on the floor about two feet apart- wide enough so that your torso can fit between them - and place one hand on each box in the center. Extend your legs behind you and lift your hips into a push up position, abs tight and head neutral.

    Bend your elbows and slowly lower your body toward the floor between the boxes keeping your abs tight and your back straight.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Chest exercises with shoulder injury
    By mjswss57 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 10:15 PM
  2. Chest isolation exercises
    By AntonG42O in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
  3. Chest exercises....
    By RickWolves in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
  4. Tall+Chest exercises = need help
    By Reverin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 06:57 PM
  5. Unique Chest Exercises
    By Phoenix rising in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in