Big shoulders

Shak77

Awards
I've been workin out for bout 2 yrs but can't seem to get big shoulders! Anyone got any suggestions?

Shak77

Awards
I do dumbell military press, side raises, front raises, seated reverse raises and cable crossovers!

Shak77

Awards
But my weight on those is really light! Can't seem to get the strength on my shoulders! I try to push more weight but arms give out!

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
But my weight on those is really light! Can't seem to get the strength on my shoulders! I try to push more weight but arms give out!
Tweak your diet so your in a surplus,do some rotator cuff work,isolate rear delts when you can.Weak rear delts can cause inbalances.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
your body doesnt know weight but yet resistance, you dont need heavy weights to build shoulders or any muscle for that matter

daniel11

daniel11

Awards
  • Established
Stop doing shoulders directly or at lest so much.

Clean and press.
Dumbbell shoulder press
Maybe lateral cable raises for burnout:
3 sets of reverse pyramid 6-12-25reps per set.

Do maintenance lifting for the rest of your body while doing this for a few weeks.

Shak77

Awards
Ok thankz! I'll try that! I'll let u know how it workz!

Shak77

Awards
I do my rotator cuff almost every 3rd dayz too!

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
TYIs and Standing Barbell Military Presses have done wonders for my shoulders.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Give this a try.. Works for me

1) Smith or HS Shoulder Press - 5 sets
2) DB side raises - 4 sets
3) Rear Delt DB Raises or Reverse Pec Dec - 4 sets
4) DB Front Raises - 4 sets
5) Shrugs - 3 sets (I have overly developed traps)
6) Machine Shoulder Press - FST*7 (7 sets 30-40 sec rest)

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Shrink your waist. Bingo....shoulders look bigger. :)

Shak77

Awards
That sounds like a sick routine! Thankz I'll try it

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
That sounds like a sick routine! Thankz I'll try it
Thanks bro that's what I do for my shoulders I keep it very simple and I hit every part of my shoulders. I only do 3 sets of shrugs cuz I don't need to work my traps out too much so if you do not have that problem just add 1 extra set.

Shak77

Awards
Wut a killer workout! I did most of it but kept the smith at 4 sets and couldn't do the machine! I had no power at all to do it but my shoulders never haz felt a pump like thiz! I know if I keep thiz up, I'll have killer shoulderz in no time! Thankz for the advice bro!!!?

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Wut a killer workout! I did most of it but kept the smith at 4 sets and couldn't do the machine! I had no power at all to do it but my shoulders never haz felt a pump like thiz! I know if I keep thiz up, I'll have killer shoulderz in no time! Thankz for the advice bro!!!?
Glad you likes it man. Good sh*t!

DonnyG

DonnyG

Awards
  • Established
I started to focus on shoulders about 3 months ago and I've seen tremendous success with this routine. 5 sets with every exercise.

-seated bb military press
-standing bb military press
-front raises
-db shrugs

Shoulders are the foundation of my workout these days.

Donny

TankShift

TankShift

Awards
I have the same problem, flat shoulders. They have started to grow some this year on this routine, with weight progression on each set.
Seated DB press x5 + drop set
Standing BB press x3
Side laterals x4
Rear Delt flys x4 + drop sets
One arm side laterals

I don't do front delts since they dont seem to need the work like the rest of my shoulder area.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
I have the same problem, flat shoulders. They have started to grow some this year on this routine, with weight progression on each set.
Seated DB press x5 + drop set
Standing BB press x3
Side laterals x4
Rear Delt flys x4 + drop sets
One arm side laterals

I don't do front delts since they dont seem to need the work like the rest of my shoulder area.
Thats exactly the same as my shoulder routine

Climax510

Climax510

Awards
I love all of the routines I've read but were forgetting 1 that put cannon balls on Gaspari. Seated side raise. These mutha f^ckas have done wonders for me. My problem is that my Delts dominate most of my Upper body Multi-joint movements. I had to learn to do iso movements like seated side raises and the reverse pec-dec machine. Ronnie Coleman does standing Front-Side-Rear raises super-sets. He goes up the rack none stop. Now that's isolation and complete burnout. Hope this helps. I love being apart of these post fellas. Thanks for accepting anotha brotha

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tweak your diet so your in a surplus,do some rotator cuff work,isolate rear delts when you can.Weak rear delts can cause inbalances.
Truth!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I love all of the routines I've read but were forgetting 1 that put cannon balls on Gaspari. Seated side raise. These mutha f^ckas have done wonders for me. My problem is that my Delts dominate most of my Upper body Multi-joint movements. I had to learn to do iso movements like seated side raises and the reverse pec-dec machine. Ronnie Coleman does standing Front-Side-Rear raises super-sets. He goes up the rack none stop. Now that's isolation and complete burnout. Hope this helps. I love being apart of these post fellas. Thanks for accepting anotha brotha
In my routine I have Side Lateral Raises listed. Just not seated. I like to do them standing instead. Sometimes when I drop set I'll sit down w/ the lighter weight

rebel1130

Awards
My shoulder routine has worked extremely well for me.

Sitting DB Press: 3x 12-15
Military Press: 3x 12-15
Standing DB press 3X 8-10
Front,Side,Rear raises 2X10-15 Superset
Upright Rows 2-3X8-10

I do shoulders at a very fast pace. Full range of motion with lighter weight...Don't cheat like 99% of the gym.

Tandyman0788

Awards
My Current routine seems to be working well. Not too little, not too much. I used to blast my shoulders hard as hell, but, they seem to respond better to a little less work.

Standing Military Press - Wendlers 531 scheme
Hang Clean and Press - 4x10
Rear Laterals - 3x12
Side Laterals - 3x12

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My Current routine seems to be working well. Not too little, not too much. I used to blast my shoulders hard as hell, but, they seem to respond better to a little less work.
I definitely agree here.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Changed up my routine I wrote this out I'm using supersets as a means to increase intensity...

Smith Machine Shoulder Press
SS
DB Side Raises - 4 sets

Machine Side Raise - 4 sets

DB Rear Delt Raise
SS
DB Front Raise - 4 sets

Reverse Pec Dec - 4 sets

DB or BB Shrugs - 3 sets

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Hanging high pulls/cleans, shrugs, military press.

Sent from my iPhone

TryHard23

TryHard23

Awards
Join gymnastics...Srs. my boy is in the gymnastics program at his college and he has the most beast shoulders ever from lifting and hoisting all those girls in the air and balancing them.. Won't even need to lift shoulders if you join gymnastics haha.

jondel

jondel

Awards
Join gymnastics...Srs. my boy is in the gymnastics program at his college and he has the most beast shoulders ever from lifting and hoisting all those girls in the air and balancing them.. Won't even need to lift shoulders if you join gymnastics haha.
guys dont lift girls in gymnastic bro, thats cheerleading

bono1132

bono1132

Awards
I know its an older thing but I wanted to really push my shoulders and had amazing results doing fascia stretching to end the workout on a shoulder press machine 7x8 to 12, alternate with press one week and rear delt row machine the next, really push it and makes easier to controll movement so your only moving enough to keep tension on shoulders not activating triceps or biceps as much, using a neutral grip. Put a giant pump and really helps feow

CJNator

Awards
Im in the same position as you i change it up sometimes but my regular workout is:

Seated smith machine military press 4x8-10
Lateral raises 3x10-12
Front raises 3x10-12
Cable lateral raises 1x Max (each arm)
Rear delts raises 3x10-12
Up right row 3x10-12

Since i changed it up it helped a lot!

abbey sha

Awards
The shoulders can comes big means you will do thumbles every day then only develope the thumbels.

ImHereforFun

Awards
2 seperate shoulder workouts for each week

workout 1:
Standing Military Press - 3-5 sets 8-12 reps *not about weight just good form and pump*

Heavy Lateral DB Raises - 3-5 sets 8-12 reps ABOUT WEIGHT!! THROW THEM BITCHES UP !!

Heavy Front Raises - 3-5 sets 8-xxx reps *Start out alternating arms after hitting rep range or failure. use momentum and throw both them bitches up till failure aim for 10 more!*

Face Pulls - 3-4 sets 15-30 reps. * BURN BABY BURN !!! I like using a single d handle using both arms same time.

workout 2 :
Seated DB Shoulder Press - 4-5 sets 8-12 reps.

Heavy Db Rear Delt Raises- 3-4 sets 8-12 reps. *throw them bitches out 2 the side or use form..whatever you feelin that day*

Light Db Lateral raises - 3 sets 12-20 reps *Use light weight 10-25 lbs* Ronnie coleman style motion, use momentum, twist with wrist and some elbow* ALL ABOUT FEEL!! NOT WEIGHT!!

Cable Lateral Raises (both hands) - 3 sets 12-20 reps * Now do same motion as with previous exercise using both arms!!* (guess you could also think of it as machine lateral but not exactly...think Ronnie Coleman Style Laterals!!!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
:D.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
The biggest thing that's helped for me is doing clean and presses at the beginning of shoulder workouts. Highly anabolic movement, you use almost every muscle you've got.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If your gym has an UBE machine (you may have seen the in rehabilitation places) then that would be a great way for you to finish every workout! Especially on a shoulder training day!
You can switch your rotational grip to focus on emphasizing different angles of the delts. Add resistance and keep your core tight! Build nice round shoulders in no time!

abeckham

abeckham

Awards
If you don't do barbell military, ad it in. I alternate front and behind the back variations workout to workout. Lateral raises and rear delt raises should also be a staple in any workout IMO

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If you don't do barbell military, ad it in. I alternate front and behind the back variations workout to workout. Lateral raises and rear delt raises should also be a staple in any workout IMO
Nice avi BTW.
Its tough to get the caps/boulders. :)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Another nice addition is adding some decline pushups (feet behind up about 24"above ground) in between sets. I like to also use the seasted fly to work those tough angles and do front and rears. Helps bring in the shape.

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
Give this a try.. Works for me

1) Smith or HS Shoulder Press - 5 sets
2) DB side raises - 4 sets
3) Rear Delt DB Raises or Reverse Pec Dec - 4 sets
4) DB Front Raises - 4 sets
5) Shrugs - 3 sets (I have overly developed traps)
6) Machine Shoulder Press - FST*7 (7 sets 30-40 sec rest)
Love a good FST-7 workout

abbey sha

Awards
FST-7 Workout is one of the best workout so use FST-7.

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
I agree, I read about it and tried it and I'm gonna be using it every 5 weeks or so.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I agree, I read about it and tried it and I'm gonna be using it every 5 weeks or so.
The advice I give everyone about FST7 is ppl hear that it's 7 sets with 30-40sec rest and they think you have to go light. Lets say you usually do 4 sets for a particular exercise the weight that should be used when performing FST7 is a weight you normally do 2nd to last set (3rd set)

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
The advice I give everyone about FST7 is ppl hear that it's 7 sets with 30-40sec rest and they think you have to go light. Lets say you usually do 4 sets for a particular exercise the weight that should be used when performing FST7 is a weight you normally do 2nd to last set (3rd set)
Gotcha.

SlyCamaro

Awards
What has worked for me... Heavy shoulder press and very heavy one arm shoulder dumbbell side raise!! Get the weight up, light weight and more reps are a wast of time on your shoulders! They are a big muscle and get worked all the time, so light weight is a joke if you want shoulder size.