Depth in my pecs

rhino65

rhino65

Awards
I know genetics plays a big part but I have the hardest time adding depth to my chest. My bench is strong and I have a very good incline but not much depth. Is there anyone who has over come this? Any advice would be appreciated.

rhino65

rhino65

Awards
I mix it up every week but this week I started with flat barbell bench 12,10,8,5,5,2 then decline 3 sets of decline 10,10,10 super set with dips 10,10,10 then incline dumbell 4 sets 10,10,8,6 then cable flies. Sometimes I will pyramid down in my sets. I will also mix up were I start my routine week to week.

csa2179

csa2179

Awards
i have been working for 2 years to build my chest. if you dont have the genetics it is a hard thing to over come. i started noticing a big change when i started doing DB flies. i dont do flat bench anymore, it never did anything for me but show i could push weight. i now do incline BB bench, decline BB bench. DB flies, and incline DB flies. i do throw in the cables but thats just because i think they are fun. i also do 4 sets of 10 of everything, with only around 90 seconds of rest.

josephd79

Awards
I had the same problem until I learned a little more about pecs. Believe it or not, the pec muscle is designed to bring the arm in like a bear hug, so those flyes are the most important part of chest building. The other poster who mentioned DB flyes is right on the money. Here's some other tips:

1) pre-exhaustion. Do flyes or pecDecs first to pre-exhaust the pec. Then hit presses & back to flyes.
2) Aux Pre Exhaustion. Whenever you push, like a bench or military press, your triceps are engaged. Sometimes your tris take too much of the weight off your chest muscle. So try doing cable pull downs and dips before hitting chest. This will pre exhaust any auxillary muscle so all bench work will be much more chest. Many times you'll find you can't go as heavy because your tris aren't able to push so it's all chest.
3) single arm cable flyes. You look a little goofy doing a single arm cable fly which I set at the lowest hole so it's pretty much decline single arm cable fly. Slight bend of the elbow and single arm bear hug, just flex that pec as you pull in 1 side for 10, then the other side.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
My chest day (which is on Monday's and Thursdays) ...

1. 5 X 5 Flat Bench - three warm up sets and then five as heavy as I can go for 5 reps. If I can do six reps ... I add weight for the next set.

2. 5 X 5 Overhead Press - two warm up sets then five just like above.

3. 5 X 5 Incline Bench - one warm up set then 5 sets as above - plus, in between sets I run over and pump out 10 reps on the butterfly machine.

4. 5 X 5 Dumbell Flies - one warm up set than 5 sets as above. Only five reps per set - means you use heavy DB's and e'rryone in the gym is looking at me like ... "WTF!!?"

5. 5 X 5 Decline Machine. It's like one of those "Rock-it" machines we have. I like that particular machine and I can feel my pecs screaming out on it when it's loaded with weight.

My chest grows pretty good on this.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Daaamn that's crazy volume and twice a week at that.. Is that a normal routine or while enhanced?

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Pullovers and weighted dips.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
i have been working for 2 years to build my chest. if you dont have the genetics it is a hard thing to over come. i started noticing a big change when i started doing DB flies. i dont do flat bench anymore, it never did anything for me but show i could push weight. i now do incline BB bench, decline BB bench. DB flies, and incline DB flies. i do throw in the cables but thats just because i think they are fun. i also do 4 sets of 10 of everything, with only around 90 seconds of rest.
Same my whole life have been trying to develope my chest with insane work outs as the op does. I recently changed my approach and and noticinf some cleavage for the first time! Flies are what's helped me also. Just make sure u stick with them for while. I love doing them on a decline . You can really feel the stretch and contract really hard at top.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Same my whole life have been trying to develope my chest with insane work outs as the op does. I recently changed my approach and and noticinf some cleavage for the first time! Flies are what's helped me also. Just make sure u stick with them for while. I love doing them on a decline . You can really feel the stretch and contract really hard at top.
Ive recently moved to free weight fly's over cable. I used to think free weight flys were stupid as i never got a full contraction at the top. Then, i realised that flys are an exersise that are effective because they make the muscle contract from a streached position (ie, at the bottem of the movement) Now i make sure i really try and stretch out at the bottem and they are alot more effective. I now superset them into various exersises. For example Flat bench>flat flies Incline Bench>incline flys. Hopefully it works.

rhino65

rhino65

Awards
Thanks for the advice. I definitely have been neglecting the free weight fly's I always incorporate some sort of fly in my work but have not ever made it the focus. We will see how it goes.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Switch it up. Do some cables as well as incline BENCH instead of all the dumbell presses. Do your benching and try to go heavy. Incline and Decline stay off the dumbells for a bit and try to hit 6 sets on each bench.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually start with the incline dumbbell fly, sometimes going thru different angles. some benches have multiple angles, so I'll go from 45° to 40 etc till the bench is flat or decline. after 5 sets of those your chest is burning like hell.

another ecercise I like is the reverse grip bench press. Usually as my last chest exercise. Takes a while to get used to, but your results will speak for itself.

forgive me if I speld words incorrect....I'm from holland

Anik87

Awards
I usually start with the incline dumbbell fly, sometimes going thru different angles. some benches have multiple angles, so I'll go from 45° to 40 etc till the bench is flat or decline. after 5 sets of those your chest is burning like hell.

another ecercise I like is the reverse grip bench press. Usually as my last chest exercise. Takes a while to get used to, but your results will speak for itself.

forgive me if I speld words incorrect....I'm from holland

This is great. I will try it today. Will share feedback.

abeckham

abeckham

Awards
I've noticed a big change since I've started doing the incline moves at the beginning.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Could be as simple as bad form.

How exactly do you bench?

liloroc

liloroc

Awards
I have the same problem! I've noticed that I am not as strong on the bench press and incline bench press as I am with the lying dumbell presses or incline dumbell presses! You guys are on the money regarding the overuse of the tricep muscle when doing these exercises! I am a lot stronger with the dumbells which means I am overusing my triceps and I actually think all of the methods you guys mentioned are correct. Everyone grows different and different exercise stimulate different growth for all people!