This Doesn't Make sense ! Arnold and Lou vs...

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I never got my answer to questions like these

There was NO PCT back then ! How did they get their natural Test back ? If you run a cycle without pct, ur EFFED !

Also Arnold and Lou have kids, THEY HAVE KIDS lol !

Don't say it's genetics, there were lots of huge guys back in the day that took roid without PCT

BrockR

BrockR

Awards
A very good question...I've been wondering the same thing!

I mean, look at all the experiments they did with steroids back in the early days. Pumping people full of the stuff. Even the olympic teams and military. Yeah, there were some serious cases, but for the most part, that I read, many of the people recovered quite normally. PCT was non-existent.

ETA: Not to imply that I think PCT protocols are unnecessary. I'm just intrigued by the history of how things were done then.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well you guys have to remember the body is an amazing machine with capability to heal itself from all types of damage.

People simply relied on their body to heal itself and it normally does. If you don't run a SERM, more times than not you will be just fine (if you're running moderate normal cycles).

Just takes longer to reach homeostasis and the body isn't too efficient at it. It will shoot up estrogen high and then level it down in time. A SERM is recommended during this time. and nobody depends on the body to heal itself alone nowadays with better compounds that aid in the process.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The average cycle was no where near what today's pros subject themselves too. I'm sure that went a long way it aiding with recovery and muscle loss when Arny and Hulk when off their cycle.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in medical studies even after having been on anabolics for years, something like 80% of people reach 80% or higher of their original levels within 6 months after stopping anabolics.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The more hyped up side effects are, the more likely you are to buy the supplements and chems that are required to negate them. All in all, for the 6 week cycles guys usually do with DS/PH, the PCT is only as important as the length of time in which they will then be off cycle.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
I thought most of them pulsed back then. Might be the reason why

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I heard Arnold did 100mg Dbol !! Is that true or what ? Also, his test e max was 500mg a week

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I suspect that those guys were more intense than todays BB's. You never heard Ferigno(spelling?) say things like, "This year Im going light and focusing more on shape and definition." Jay Cutler used to say stuff like that a lot.

DaRooster

DaRooster

Awards
I never got my answer to questions like these

There was NO PCT back then ! How did they get their natural Test back ? If you run a cycle without pct, ur EFFED !

Also Arnold and Lou have kids, THEY HAVE KIDS lol !

Don't say it's genetics, there were lots of huge guys back in the day that took roid without PCT
How do you know there was no PCT back then ?
Here is another example of some young kid on the net who thinks all these drugs where discovered in the last 10 years.
First what do you take for your PCT?

99% of everything you take has been around longer than you have... most likely.
So if these drugs where around back in the 70's which they where...then that means the drugs where being used for and by Doctors...and most of those guys back then went to the Doctor regularly...Where do you think the idea and way to use drugs for PCT came from? Doctors....
The second thing you mentioned is you "HAVE TO" use a PCT or your f**ked, statement that you made....WRONG again my simple minded friend.

imjuschillin

Awards
This thread reminds me of a story from a guy here at work.

About a year ago when I started getting into researching these compounds I got chatting with a guy here. Real good guy, funny as Hell! A guy's guy type, you know? Anyway, he's like maybe 20 yrs older than me (so 55 ish.) and I asked him if he ever used. (We were talking about gym, which he used to be right into...)

He admitted to doing 2 cycles in the past. D-Bol and Winnie. This woulda been late 70's, early 80's he did them. I believe he said both the same year, one oral, then injectable. He didnt tell me dosagaes but he did tell me this.

He bought them at his gym, they openly discussed and used them, and they injected them right in the changeroom! He said that year his bench went up 100lbs! No ****! 300lbs to 400lbs.

So, my point? : After we yapped about it I asked him, I said "What did you take for PCT?"

His reply, and I QUOTE!

"What's PCT??"

I dunno what that says about the state of it today. Maybe they were 'cleaner' back then, maybe the doses were way lower. Maybe just the mindset of not thinking you needed one actually lent to not needing one (Meaning, if we always hear now we need one and someone doesn't take one, they will mentally kinda direct themselves to sides, real or not?) Far as I know he didnt ramp up and/or down either, just one dose the whole time, then off...

I asked about side effects, the only one he mentioned was a bit of an increased temper.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Clomiphene and hcg i do not think where around in arnolds time if im correct they came out in the 80's early 90's

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I think that old bodybuilders might have had a certain mental toughness where they could push themselve at a level that would at least maintain most strength. Lifting heavy actually helps boost natural test, so maby that was part of their PCT.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lots of them stay "on" for years. Some ramped up and then down with the short half life anabolics. Some were just miserable during pct.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
it is actually very simple. They used lower doses, they pyramided up and tapered down and in a lot of cases they did one cycle per year. Aromatase inhibitors were not around back then. Nolva was but people didn't start using it until the eighties. Higher doses lead to more severe side effects and harsher suppression of natural hormone levels. Noone wants to here this because it is easier to think that higher doses equal more gains. What it really takes is more time and most people too impatient.

BrockR

BrockR

Awards
it is actually very simple. They used lower doses, they pyramided up and tapered down and in a lot of cases they did one cycle per year. Aromatase inhibitors were not around back then. Nolva was but people didn't start using it until the eighties. Higher doses lead to more severe side effects and harsher suppression of natural hormone levels. Noone wants to here this because it is easier to think that higher doses equal more gains. What it really takes is more time and most people too impatient.

Out of everything that's been mentioned on this thread so far, that statement truly does make sense.

I venture to guess their cycles may have been quite lengthy then.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly Arnold would do a three month cycle every year and that was it.

More roids will equal more gains, but also more sides. Today's BB's are ****ed. I am pretty confident that they will die young with the dosages they take. Hell, even PCT puts your body through a period where estrogen is to low, which is also unhealthy.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
very true.

Yeah I heard Arnold only used like 10-15 mgs dbol once a year and at the most two times. He did use it was pre-contest when most of his photos were all taken close to the competition. Arnold was supposed to gain a little extra bodyfat(not too much) after the show. I truly believe he did much lower doses and that just goes to show you that less and moderate doses may be best.

Look at some of the naturals now a days they are pretty impressive

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
very true.

Yeah I heard Arnold only used like 10-15 mgs dbol once a year and at the most two times. He did use it was pre-contest when most of his photos were all taken close to the competition. Arnold was supposed to gain a little extra bodyfat(not too much) after the show. I truly believe he did much lower doses and that just goes to show you that less and moderate doses may be best.

Look at some of the naturals now a days they are pretty impressive
not to much? I thought his off season stats were like 50 lbs heavier.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
not to much? I thought his off season stats were like 50 lbs heavier.
no he always kept like 20 lbs close to competition weight. Not many pictures off his offseason I have ever seen. In fact his last year he went 20 lbs under competition weight and grew getting ready for the show due to a movie role that called for him to lose some muscle.(Stay Hungry)

Mac45

Awards
Most likely the answer is as suggested was that they used the PULSE
method.

.mmanews.com/forums/nutrition-supplements-training-mma/10430-how-pulse-oral-steroids-oral-prohormones.html

Here is an old write up on it. You can see that you really didn't need a
PCT when you did it right. Plus the estros back then weren't that good.

You guys really think the guys back then didn't do steroids that much? Or
not near as much as todays bodybuilders? Or just a small cycle a few times
a year?

I read some years ago that Sergio Oliva
used to pop D-bol (oral one) like candy. And he liked liked winnie and deca.

Arnold said D-bol is a breakfast of champions. Plus he loved Winstrol.
Also read he liked Primobolan alot.

But it was thought that he just had the D-bol at one sitting for a massive androgen spike. in the AM......thus leading to a lot of intensity in the gym

The androgens were enough for CNS stimulation, however training and time dissipates the short half life of D-bol.

After most of it was gone, he would just cruise on the largely anabolic effects of Primobolan minus the androgen sides.

I have heard numbers from (30 most likely) to 60 mgs of D-bol at one sitting and 400 to 600 mgs or Primobolan a week.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most likely the answer is as suggested was that they used the PULSE
method.

.mmanews.com/forums/nutrition-supplements-training-mma/10430-how-pulse-oral-steroids-oral-prohormones.html

Here is an old write up on it. You can see that you really didn't need a
PCT when you did it right. Plus the estros back then weren't that good.

You guys really think the guys back then didn't do steroids that much? Or
not near as much as todays bodybuilders? Or just a small cycle a few times
a year?

I read some years ago that Sergio Oliva
used to pop D-bol (oral one) like candy. And he liked liked winnie and deca.

Arnold said D-bol is a breakfast of champions. Plus he loved Winstrol.
Also read he liked Primobolan alot.

But it was thought that he just had the D-bol at one sitting for a massive androgen spike. in the AM......thus leading to a lot of intensity in the gym

The androgens were enough for CNS stimulation, however training and time dissipates the short half life of D-bol.

After most of it was gone, he would just cruise on the largely anabolic effects of Primobolan minus the androgen sides.

I have heard numbers from (30 most likely) to 60 mgs of D-bol at one sitting and 400 to 600 mgs or Primobolan a week.
Yeah I read this years and years ago. No one really knows and the credable sources, said he used like 10-15 mgs and once a year and twicea year some years

there is an article greg valinto did on one of Arnolds training partners(a black guy-not bill grant, it was a guy I never heard of) Greg was joking around saying some of the fitness competitors take more than the guys in the seventies and he isn't too far from the truth.

One of Arnolds training partners (the black guy) said he took low doses like 15 mgs of dianabol. I have the MD article right here maybe I can scan it

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
be cool if someone really did have the answers to the dosing cycles used back in the day

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the dosing back then was no where close to what guys are running now.also many of these guys were doing this under the care of a doctor.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think it's highly unlikely that any information about Arnold's steroid usage is accurate. He has a reputation to uphold and he can not have the fact that he used tons of roids back in the day mess up said reputation. Not to mention he was using from such a young age (supposedly as young as 15?) and he was, by most people's definition, a genetic freak.

bomb402

Awards
haha if you guys think arnold or lou used 15mgs once a year I laugh at you. Have any of you seen Lou or Arnold today? They look like shrimps. I think I am bigger than both Lou and Arnold right now. Their T levels should not have dropped that much if they could legitimately hold that much muscle. I'll bet they were on all the time. Arnold has to have dialysis done regularly I heard. I have come back quite easily it's not that hard. I mean really after you get above 1100 T level it's really all the same anyway as far as recovery goes as long as you are keeping the estrogen down it's not gonna be much different given the duration is the same.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
haha if you guys think arnold or lou used 15mgs once a year I laugh at you. Have any of you seen Lou or Arnold today? They look like shrimps. I think I am bigger than both Lou and Arnold right now. Their T levels should not have dropped that much if they could legitimately hold that much muscle. I'll bet they were on all the time. Arnold has to have dialysis done regularly I heard. I have come back quite easily it's not that hard. I mean really after you get above 1100 T level it's really all the same anyway as far as recovery goes as long as you are keeping the estrogen down it's not gonna be much different given the duration is the same.
well Ive got up to 230lbs 18.5 inch arms and 28 inch quads , not lean, not fat either before I ever used a hormone

Do you count your calories year round everyday? do you put your calories above and below maintenance, depending on what your body goals are and have logs on what works for your body at the time ? do you training life an effing animal cycling your intensity? are you getting 8-10 hours of sleep per night? are you using research proven supplements

I have no doubt in my mind Arnold used 10-15 mgs dbol and the fact that he was far ahead of his time in nutrition and had good "genetics" just goes to shown you that it is really easy to get Arnold's size on using not much.

You guys who doubt lower dosing are just short changing yourself, most of the time its you dont have your basics in order

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
well Ive got up to 230lbs 18.5 inch arms and 28 inch quads , not lean, not fat either before I ever used a hormone

Do you count your calories year round everyday? do you put your calories above and below maintenance, depending on what your body goals are and have logs on what works for your body at the time ? do you training life an effing animal cycling your intensity? are you getting 8-10 hours of sleep per night? are you using research proven supplements

I have no doubt in my mind Arnold used 10-15 mgs dbol and the fact that he was far ahead of his time in nutrition and had good "genetics" just goes to shown you that it is really easy to get Arnold's size on using not much.

You guys who doubt lower dosing are just short changing yourself, most of the time its you dont have your basics in order
I wouldn't call it easy, but possible yes. What people who need juice every time they wanna gain five pounds don't realize is that some people can do incredible things, because they are athletes.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Arnold said he used to workout 4 5 hours a day !!!!! They also didn't know **** about overtraining so I'm sure they were using high doses

He also started at 16 !!!

lol it just doesn't make sense to me I dont know !

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
It is obvious that they took less than pros today. Pros today look like retards....they are comical to the average person whereas back then they looked like super humans. And don't give me that crap about knowledge of nutrition and training......it's not rocket science, unless of course, you are selling a product, then, this bodybuilding gets VERY complicated and scientific. LOL.

I am sure they were on high doses, but not the level of the guys today. And no, I do not have proof but common sense is enough.

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
It is obvious that they took less than pros today. Pros today look like retards....they are comical to the average person whereas back then they looked like super humans. And don't give me that crap about knowledge of nutrition and training......it's not rocket science, unless of course, you are selling a product, then, this bodybuilding gets VERY complicated and scientific. LOL.

I am sure they were on high doses, but not the level of the guys today. And no, I do not have proof but common sense is enough.
I agree with this.. Its obvious the golden era pro's are gonna take their secrets to the grave and Im cool with that.. I respect the fact that they wont really relinquish how they did things back then.,. Its obvious they juiced, they have also admitted to it, but the dosages will always remain a speculation at best..

Drugs are a part of sports, like it or not... Top guys try and keep their image, and by doing this, they are not going to tell you the truth as to how much they use..

There is a pro who I have met a time or two thru mutual body building friends.. I can tell you, that the kitchen table was covered in drugs... So do you really think this guy is going to tell all the world his dirty secrets?? HELL NO.. I was only allowed in the circle because of who I knew and the trust that I would keep my mouth shut and his identity private..
He would never come out and tell you about his drug usage or the problems he faced because of it.. Its just one of those things that is not discussed and I get it..

I will say this though.. It does not take a ton of drugs to build a great body.. I have preached that on here for a long time.. If your diet is on par as well as sleep, nutrition etc.. you would be amazed at what 250 mgs of test e a week will do for your body.. I always see guys saying you gotta use 500/week or you are wasting your time.. Thats BS if you have legit gear and all your ducks in a row.. However as are all things, that is my opinion and not the opinion of many posters or todays bodybuilders..

Peace

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
latest ironman mag here in australian stated they only ran there cycle leading up to comps. 8-12 weeks out ect the rest of the time in between they were off........

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
Newton do u really believe that?? They say only at contest time.. Im calling BS on that. No way they could have been as big and strong year round. I know they had superior genetics, however that only

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Newton do u really believe that?? They say only at contest time.. Im calling BS on that. No way they could have been as big and strong year round. I know they had superior genetics, however that only
Na mate dont believe anything unless i got cold hard facts. Was just stating wot i read recently....

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Arnold said he used to workout 4 5 hours a day !!!!! They also didn't know **** about overtraining so I'm sure they were using high doses

He also started at 16 !!!

lol it just doesn't make sense to me I dont know !
The thing about overtraining is that you kind of have to make your body get used to it and consider it training. Ive slowed down in the last few years, but I never would have gotten big at all without what most people consider overtraining.

biomuscle

Awards
The thing about overtraining is that you kind of have to make your body get used to it and consider it training. Ive slowed down in the last few years, but I never would have gotten big at all without what most people consider overtraining.
Do you think it should be gradually worked into or just go straight for what many people consider overtraining? Would it be best to just jump straight into such high intensity like Lou used or the high volume Arnold used?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Do you think it should be gradually worked into or just go straight for what many people consider overtraining? Would it be best to just jump straight into such high intensity like Lou used or the high volume Arnold used?
I say we should all start with hundreds of pushups and work our way up.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
I agree with this.. Its obvious the golden era pro's are gonna take their secrets to the grave and Im cool with that.. I respect the fact that they wont really relinquish how they did things back then.,. Its obvious they juiced, they have also admitted to it, but the dosages will always remain a speculation at best..

Drugs are a part of sports, like it or not... Top guys try and keep their image, and by doing this, they are not going to tell you the truth as to how much they use..

There is a pro who I have met a time or two thru mutual body building friends.. I can tell you, that the kitchen table was covered in drugs... So do you really think this guy is going to tell all the world his dirty secrets?? HELL NO.. I was only allowed in the circle because of who I knew and the trust that I would keep my mouth shut and his identity private..
He would never come out and tell you about his drug usage or the problems he faced because of it.. Its just one of those things that is not discussed and I get it..

I will say this though.. It does not take a ton of drugs to build a great body.. I have preached that on here for a long time.. If your diet is on par as well as sleep, nutrition etc.. you would be amazed at what 250 mgs of test e a week will do for your body.. I always see guys saying you gotta use 500/week or you are wasting your time.. Thats BS if you have legit gear and all your ducks in a row.. However as are all things, that is my opinion and not the opinion of many posters or todays bodybuilders..

Peace
The fact is, people want to only hear higher dose, longer cycles, more complex stacks, more accessory drugs, more stims. It used to be that the drugs were a means to an end. Now the drugs are the end. Everybody is different and you are always going to have pros who use more than the rest but the ones who are smart probably use as little as they can and have a longer career (and life) because of it.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wow bro... that's a noob thing to say lol ! Anything you do too much will damage you, open 1000 folders on your PC right now and see if your computer will get used to it ;))

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
wow bro... that's a noob thing to say lol ! Anything you do too much will damage you, open 1000 folders on your PC right now and see if your computer will get used to it ;))
Think of it this way, when a fat person throws up on the biggest loser, we don't say "He's overtraining. This is unhealthy." Because we uderstand that the person needs to get over a hump. As your muscles reach a size where they are putting astrain on your body, then it becomes easier to overtrain in hte long run, but I think iit's sad when I see some skinny guy pulling back in hte gym saying "I guess steroids are my last option to put on any size. If I was working any harder, I'd be overtraining.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
When I think of overtraining I think of training hard too often without enough rest to recover. I think doing reps til failure(you cannot lift it anymore without help) is just training.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When I think of overtraining I think of training hard too often without enough rest to recover. I think doing reps til failure(you cannot lift it anymore without help) is just training.
Arnold said he used to workout for 3 4 hours a day but that's him because it was his job, he ate alot of food with minerals and slept probably 10 12 hours a day.... also steroids helped

Regular people like us will overtrain no matter what,

Guitaryellow

Awards
Back in the day it was taper up then taper down, no real issues, I never understood why it's not the same with PH. I follow the pct regime now but never did back in the 80's.

Spanner

Awards
My best mates Dad used to manage a gym in Portsmouth where Arnold trained and he said that he took up to 8 DBol per day (40mg) in off season

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Back then people truly did cycle and most did not get on until perhaps 16 weeks before a contest. I am sure many are not on HRT. You also have to remember that many might now have known exactly what Suppression was

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
alot more factors in our air.food..water and soil mess with our bodies recovery than it did back in the 70s..

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn, this thread is hella old!!!