How does Pro Bodybuilding Pay?

prodigy88

prodigy88

Awards
Although I know I'll never be in the same arena as the pro's I am always curious on how much the average joe makes doing pro body building. Im not talking Mr. Universe level but legit pro bodybuilders. I assume endorsements is the main source of revenue, and shows not so much. Give some examples if you can.:swordfight:

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i'd love to hear the answer. i bet a lot of them dont make much, but some of the sponsored ones might make a nice sum of money. i bet ronnie coleman makes a lot, but is it enough to cover all the food/HGH/steroids he consumes?

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
Unless your sponsored by a supplement company or place top 5 in the Olympia or Arnold classic, or other top notch competitions you make no money.

Most Pro's have day jobs or are personal trainers. Some might make a lot at their day jobs, you know it costs a lot of money to be in the pros, with all the performance enhancing drugs they use.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't think they make good money, like said before you need to be sponsered (muscletech), then again if u get a gym to sponser you, theres a free gym membership, free supplements, but i think some of the natural BBer's should expand besides comps and try to become like models or bathing suit models, a lot of the guys are indeed trainers, and with a pro card being a trainer, so that probably means they charge an arm and a leg

chess315

chess315

Awards
if you want to make money form bodybuilding professional wrestle that about it. Or win mr olympia

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
becoming a model too, but work isnt as consistent and you need a face to match your body.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
allll of these are correct. A perfect example is Jay Cutler, yes he won the O, Arnold and a dozen other shows, and he has a ton of sponsors, but he's taking it to a new level, he's starting his own business (Swollen Monkey productions)...where he sells various things that he can profit off of. So yes, if your a bodybuilder, you'll have a hard time with financial issues for a while, but if there's a will, there's a way

Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Awards
They do "Gay for Pay" type $hit
Sadly this is true a lot of times. Of course we can't pin it on anyone who we aren't sure about.

I am a personal trainer and have a website with pics. Some weirdo emailed me the other day saying he would give me $200 an hour to pose for him in private. Ugghhh. It's gross but part of this business, seems girls don't like it too much, and men do.

I don't condemn anyone for doing these things, i would never do it though. Arnold said a lot of homosexuals hung out around gold's to watch them train, and Ric Drasin said two of them were doctors who gave all the guys steroids.
Arnold is "said" to have posed for people for money(I didn't say do gay things). Whether this is true or not is pure speculation.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
^even though this is off topic...the issue of girls not liking it is true. I seem to be finding myself left alone when I get bigger...but when I cut I have so many girls I dont know what to do with

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
Sadly this is true a lot of times. Of course we can't pin it on anyone who we aren't sure about.

I am a personal trainer and have a website with pics. Some weirdo emailed me the other day saying he would give me $200 an hour to pose for him in private. Ugghhh. It's gross but part of this business, seems girls don't like it too much, and men do.

I don't condemn anyone for doing these things, i would never do it though. Arnold said a lot of homosexuals hung out around gold's to watch them train, and Ric Drasin said two of them were doctors who gave all the guys steroids.
Arnold is "said" to have posed for people for money(I didn't say do gay things). Whether this is true or not is pure speculation.

There was a discussion on this exact topic on MD, Arnold lived with a flamboyant homosexual millionaire in the late 60's. People were speculating as to why a rich gay man would take in a bodybuilder and put a roof over his head and float the bill for his lifestyle. Me thinks that rich old homo was getting something in return. :booty:

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
allll of these are correct. A perfect example is Jay Cutler, yes he won the O, Arnold and a dozen other shows, and he has a ton of sponsors, but he's taking it to a new level, he's starting his own business (Swollen Monkey productions)...where he sells various things that he can profit off of. So yes, if your a bodybuilder, you'll have a hard time with financial issues for a while, but if there's a will, there's a way
I feel like this would be a major advantage for any person in the public eye. Starting a company to sell anything with your name and endorsement is a sure fire way to make money.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
If you youtube Jay Cutler you can follow him shopping for food. He is driving a nice Benz, so I'm guessing he makes more then the average person. I know that anyone can take a mortgage out on a car, but I would speculate he does ok.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
If you youtube Jay Cutler you can follow him shopping for food. He is driving a nice Benz, so I'm guessing he makes more then the average person. I know that anyone can take a mortgage out on a car, but I would speculate he does ok.
a benz isnt the only thing lol...have you seen his house? holy $hit

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
yea and musculardevelopment.com
I think Jay is an exception to the rule. Having his success has def earned him some cake. Judging from that video he is doing quite well. I also am pretty sure Jay grew up in a modest family setting in western Massachusetts, so I bet he is all self made.

On a side note, not to hijack, is that Victor Martinez from the Red Sox in those videos or is that a pro body builder? He looks way too big to be able to swing a bat.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
^^^^^ That Victor Martinez is the body builder, not the baseball player. I knew he looked too big to swing a bat.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
IDK wut your talking about in the videos but Jay IMO..is the modern day Arnold in terms of success and innovation of bodybuilding

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
IDK wut your talking about in the videos but Jay IMO..is the modern day Arnold in terms of success and innovation of bodybuilding
I see the same things you do in the video. He is the excpetion to the rule meaning he has made a good living for himself, vs other body builders who don't make that much money. I think Jay is very innovative as well.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
i herd minimum is 33k?
it all boils down to if your winning big shows or do you have potential...examples are Jay/Ronnie/Dex/Phil and for potential is Trey Brewer, Flex Lewis, Brandon Curry and Evan Centa...