Did Serge Nubret and Frank Zane have 18'' arms?

WesleyAlpha

Awards
I was reading an article that said that Mike Mentzer's armed were measured at just under 18.5 in his prime, and i've heard that before. But looking at him, and then reading on how Frank Zane claimed to have 18'' arms, I don't see how it's possible for Zane. I've also read that Serge Nubret had 20 inch arms, but he was 6'1'', and he only weighed 205lbs. How was it possible for him to have 20 inch arms at that weight?

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I was reading an article that said that Mike Mentzer's armed were measured at just under 18.5 in his prime, and i've heard that before. But looking at him, and then reading on how Frank Zane claimed to have 18'' arms, I don't see how it's possible for Zane. I've also read that Serge Nubret had 20 inch arms, but he was 6'1'', and he only weighed 205lbs. How was it possible for him to have 20 inch arms at that weight?
there's a guy here called ilovelamp, he sports 20inch guns apparently, PM him, he's a self proclaimed expert on bb'ing

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure about Frank Zane though at one time in the late sixties he bulked up pretty big but Serge Nubret did have massive arms.

chess315

chess315

Awards
its damn near immposible to have 20inch arms at 200lbs I had a graph at one time that gave people at 10% bodyfats Ideal measurement a 6'0 tall male in proportion would have 161/2 inches

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
its damn near immposible to have 20inch arms at 200lbs I had a graph at one time that gave people at 10% bodyfats Ideal measurement a 6'0 tall male in proportion would have 161/2 inches
Steroids don't know proportions.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you think Serge didn't have 20" arms... You are sadly mistaken. Even though he was only 200 on stage, he sported a ridiculously small waist. 27-28" during "Pumping Iron" I believe. His mass was all in the right places.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Serge was not 10% bf and graphs dont mean sh*t when it comes to bodies that lift weights.

take a look at the body mass index calculation. lets say a competitive bodybuilder is 6ft and weights 230lbs at 6% bf. BMI is calulated by height and weight, therefore this competive bodybuilder - according to the BMI calculator - suffers from obesity. http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

someone correct me if i'm wrong here with the BMI measurement

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sergio oliva had 20'' arms and appears larger than serges. Its impossilbe to say for sure from pics though.

chess315

chess315

Awards
the graph was a bodybuilding related graph at 250lbs arnolds actual cold bicep measurment was 19 3/4 inches so how could some body 50lbs lighter have bigger arms than arnold at 6ft I dont think people realize how big a 17-18inch unpumped arm is. measure a big person that weighs 200 before their all pumped up if their arms are 18inches there extremly out of propotion. just because stupid weider magazine and muscle tech say something doesnt mean it is true.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
the graph was a bodybuilding related graph at 250lbs arnolds actual cold bicep measurment was 19 3/4 inches so how could some body 50lbs lighter have bigger arms than arnold at 6ft I dont think people realize how big a 17-18inch unpumped arm is. measure a big person that weighs 200 before their all pumped up if their arms are 18inches there extremly out of propotion. just because stupid weider magazine and muscle tech say something doesnt mean it is true.
No one specified pumped or un-pumped.

Yeah, it is a big arm. These guys are freaking huge!

mntman2003

Awards
I read a old article by the later Auther Jones who measured both Sergio and Arnolds arm pumped in the off season and neither were over 20.5 inches.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
18inch arm on someone 5% bf is a ****ing massive thing to see. An 18inch arm on someon 25%bf... not so much.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
We call that a "fat boy arm" lol!
Hell yeah! I'm 6' and sport some "fat boy" 17's (cold). I'm just lean enough to still see some of the basilic vein that runs down the center of the bicep, at around ~15-16% BF. And because of my higher BF%, I weigh mid-230's and my arms don't really look "massive."

chess315

chess315

Awards
your waist measurment has a hell of a lot to do wtih how big your arms apear.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah! I'm 6' and sport some "fat boy" 17's (cold). I'm just lean enough to still see some of the basilic vein that runs down the center of the bicep, at around ~15-16% BF. And because of my higher BF%, I weigh mid-230's and my arms don't really look "massive."
They will look good when they get cut!

your waist measurment has a hell of a lot to do wtih how big your arms apear.
True!

pumbertot

pumbertot

Awards
  • Established
Its not so much the size that gives that huge appearance, Arnold had extremely rounded and full muscle bellies with low insertions. Coupled with very small joints, e.g wrist and elbow. Gives the illusion of hug arms.

Hell mine are taping 18.5" just now at just under 10% BF. But since I dont have Arnold muscle bellies and joints, my arms do look big but very far from huge.

I dont see what waist size has to do with the appearance of the bcieps/triceps, unless you arms are hanging down by your sides.

Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Awards
Its not so much the size that gives that huge appearance, Arnold had extremely rounded and full muscle bellies with low insertions. Coupled with very small joints, e.g wrist and elbow. Gives the illusion of hug arms.

Hell mine are taping 18.5" just now at just under 10% BF. But since I dont have Arnold muscle bellies and joints, my arms do look big but very far from huge.

I dont see what waist size has to do with the appearance of the bcieps/triceps, unless you arms are hanging down by your sides.
This is very true. I weigh in the 150's in my avatar pic, at about 5'6"-7". I have very small joints and pretty full muscle bellies and people think my arms are huge. You can have 17-18" arms below 200lbs, it has a lot to do with organ and bone weight/size. I must have tiny organs and thin bones that are hollow...lol.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8

dav

Awards
I competed as a top natural for many years and after a few recent cycles my largest arm during my last cycle measured 20.5" pumped - with BF around 14% it didn't look as impressive as when I competed natural and had 18-18.5" arms pumped at 5% BF. I competed against some of the greatest natural BBers in the world i.e. Andrew Palmer who at around 180lbs 5' 7" and 4-5% bf sported genuine 18" arms. Rob Hope one of the greatest naturals of all time sports 18" arms at 5' 6" at around 170lbs. I also had the priviledge of training for some time with a bodybiulding legend - Wilf Sylvester who at 5' 4 sported 19" arms in competition condition, so bodyweight has little to do with it when you are talking about the top guys. Serge Nubret competed at around 94-95kgs too - 207 -209lbs.

I'd guess that Serge certainly had 19" arms at least and Zane 17"+ - height plays a bigger part than weight in determining measurements - Nubret was quite tall, and Zane was not short around 5' 8"??

MegaCalf

Awards
Serge Nubret was never 6'1". He was listed at 5'11'' but probably was never that tall. Zane was 5' 9". Arnold admitted on a television talk show that he was 6'1'' even though he was listed as 6'2". He's probably a little shorter now.

dav

Awards
I agree with you on the height of these guys if you look at Nubret he was shorter than Arnold. For me 19"+ arms on a 5'11" - 6' top class BBer such as Nubret looks about right. Zane was not short and if indeed his arms were 18" (probably pumped) then 17" or so cold would look about right at his height.

The largest arms I saw in person (I haven't met any of today's pro's) where those sported by an in his prime Lance Dreher, still imo the greatest lower bicep/insertion in BBing and I can believe the claim of 22"+

EB2GB

Awards
Sounds like a lot of you guys are getting hung up on graphs and equations etc. I'm 6'1 with fairly low BF. 17.5" arms and 18s pumped. I've never been on gear yet. Maybe by next year I'll have 20's on gear. Btw I'm 205lbs AM, 212 PM weight. Currently "clean bulking."

I'll post pics in a few min for those that claim BLASPHEMY! haha

EB2GB

Awards
Just copy and paste (i don't have 50 posts so no links for me)

i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/anthonykohanski/FLEX.jpg

i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/anthonykohanski/TAPE.jpg

i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/anthonykohanski/DBLBI.jpg

SergioAnthony

SergioAnthony

Awards
Frank Zane was probably talking about when he was in his bigger stages in the mid to late 80's era. When he was winnin Mr. O there is no way he had 18's but later on I can easily see it when he traded some cuts for more mass.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Frank Zane was probably talking about when he was in his bigger stages in the mid to late 80's era. When he was winnin Mr. O there is no way he had 18's but later on I can easily see it when he traded some cuts for more mass.

Actually in the late 60's Frank Zane had a lot more mass than he did in his Mr O days

SergioAnthony

SergioAnthony

Awards
Yeah true he did, I forgot about that I was just thinkin about when he was shredded lol.

Russsssssssss

Awards
i know they both have sick ass ****ing genetics

Marc12

Awards
Hi Guys,

There is no way Arnold is 6'1".

I stood next to him when he visited a shelter in Escondido many of the locals were staying at because of the massive fires awhile ago...I am 5'9" and some average sized boots on. He had dress shoes on, and I would say that he was 5'11".

Marc12

Awards
Thanks for the convo on Frank Zane's arms. I remember when I was much younger reading in one of Weider's old mags that his arms were 20" and Arnold's were 22". But since Zane is my height and small boned like me, I had a hard time believing his arms could be that big. It sounds like you guys are saying he was more likely 17-ish" unpumped and 18-ish" pumped. That gives me a little hope as I begin to get my wimpy arms back in shape again. :)

Good stuff!

Marc