Can you bodybuild for a living?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Ok...so of course elite bodybuilders can make a very nice living off of bodybuilding but how realistic is it to want to make a living off it. I went to college for a couple semesters and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. I would loooove to do nothing but eat and workout until I'm 80. Is this possible??

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a bodybuilder. However, I have seen two pros in my gym, Debbie Laszewski and Tony Freeman. Tony is one of the best. There is very little money in winning the big shows. It *seems* that they make most of their money by training people. The best bodybuilders that win the big shows get sponsorships and can make a few bucks appearing in ads. But realistically, how many pros get a BSN sponsorship?

If I were in your shoes, I would come back to reality and think about finishing college. The jobs in demand right now are things like:
patent/copyright lawyers
internal auditors (accounting)
engineers
jobs relating to clean energy
anything to do with China (learn to speak Mandarin)

If you want to drop out of college, money can be made doing underwater welding on oil rigs in texas and louisiana ($80,000 +) among other things.
good luck

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps you could go into fitness type modelling although if thats you in your avatar i'd say you can count that one out:whip:

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
If you want to drop out of college, money can be made doing underwater welding on oil rigs in texas and louisiana ($80,000 +) among other things.
good luck
Dude, my buddy in california does that. I asked him one time why he does it because it's incredibly dangerous and he said, "It's the closest thing to being a pirate." Hahaha. It pays really well and he only needs to work 6 months every year. Crazy stuff though.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
Dude, my buddy in california does that. I asked him one time why he does it because it's incredibly dangerous and he said, "It's the closest thing to being a pirate." Hahaha. It pays really well and he only needs to work 6 months every year. Crazy stuff though.
the guys in louisiana on the rigs make good cash. the underwater welders do the best, but the rest of the crew does real well too. there's plenty of opportunity for overtime. its usually a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off type of deal. there are rigs all over the U.S. Many of the oil type jobs don't have enough staff since they cut way back when oil was only $14 a barrell. now that it's over $100, they are ramping up production as much as possible. petroleum/natural gas geologists are in demand as well.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
you could get sports/nutrition/physical therapy related degrees while trying your best to go pro, if that's what you really want to do. At the very least you'll have a solid foundation on paper to train, rehabilitate, and/or advise others in their own quests for greatness. I never want to discourage anyone from any big dreams they might have. Just make sure you pick up practical skills and knowledge along the way, because things never turn out the way we expect in life.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps you could go into fitness type modelling although if thats you in your avatar i'd say you can count that one out:whip:
Hey hey hey,I just haven't had a haircut in a long time and I could always shave my chest.:lol:

you could get sports/nutrition/physical therapy related degrees while trying your best to go pro, if that's what you really want to do. At the very least you'll have a solid foundation on paper to train, rehabilitate, and/or advise others in their own quests for greatness. I never want to discourage anyone from any big dreams they might have. Just make sure you pick up practical skills and knowledge along the way, because things never turn out the way we expect in life.
This is true. I know becoming pro in the long run is an absurd long shot but it's a lofty goal that would be worth shooting for. I think even doing shows as a hobby would be nice. That'd be a good plan though,a college degree is always a good thing to fall back on. I was actually looking into online schooling. That seems like a good option since it would be easier to workout/eat/sleep. Thanks for the feedback,just kind of wanted peoples thoughts.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LMAO, I was thinking the same thing... Dude, no way in hell at 4'11" :p

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How old are you ?

And define "living"? What kind of lifestyle do you expect to have?

I would say training people would be the bulk of your income.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
How old are you ?

And define "living"? What kind of lifestyle do you expect to have?

I would say training people would be the bulk of your income.
I would define living as enough money to live comfortably. I was just curious as to what people thought about making a living off it and if it was even remotely possible without getting insanely huge and signing a contract in blood with muscletech.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would define living as enough money to live comfortably. I was just curious as to what people thought about making a living off it and if it was even remotely possible without getting insanely huge and signing a contract in blood with muscletech.
Of course you have to get insanely huge to be in the pro ranks.

In the natural bbing competitions you don't have to be freaky big, you still have to get big, know how to pose , and follow the organizations rules. You have to have willpower, determination,and a desire to eat a lot of food. Also remember there are those with genetics that do what you do and they'll always be better because they have elite genetics and determination. (ie Ronnie Coleman and the top six )

when you a kid have you ever met a kid around the same age as you but solid as a brick? while you were skinny Well there's an example of a mesomorph. same with ecto's and endo's

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Of course you have to get insanely huge to be in the pro ranks.

Also remember there are those with genetics that do what you do and they'll always be better because they have elite genetics and determination. (ie Ronnie Coleman and the top six )
That brings up another topic...people like Ronnie Coleman have amazing genetics obviously but how much of that is hard work and how much is just genetics?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That brings up another topic...people like Ronnie Coleman have amazing genetics obviously but how much of that is hard work and how much is just genetics?
Look at the shape of your muscles after two-three hard years of training. your muscles will always be that shape . you cannot change that(unless you do site injections or synthol) Arnold's bicep peak is genetic you can do all the concentration curls you want going after that peak, if it's not in your gene's it's not there.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Look at the shape of your muscles after two-three hard years of training. your muscles will always be that shape . you cannot change that(unless you do site injections or synthol) Arnold's bicep peak is genetic you can do all the concentration curls you want going after that peak, if it's not in your gene's it's not there.
Ah,that makes sense. thanks for the explanation

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
What type of comfort-ability are you looking for?

Are we talking jags and benz's, Lamborghini's, hummers (h1) or are we talking Lexus, mustangs, and hummers (h2/h3)?

You talking 250-350,000 houses, or are we talking 750-2.5million dollar houses?

If you can learn as much as you possibly can, get certifications, and train other people, then you will garner a large portion of income, especially when you become a world renown trainer or even a great local trainer. Either of these will garner you great income, just one a lot more than the other.

Besides that, there are other ways from which you can bring in a lot of money just by using your knowledge of nutrition, and exercise philosophy.

I have a buddy, which I havent talk to in a couple of years, but he is a trainer in miami, and now helps to work with the dolphins on the off season training sessions. Now, he writes blogs, using his exercise/nutrition knowledge, and makes crazy money selling ad space on his blogs...i've never read his blogs but he has mentioned it to me on a few occasions... I think his blogs get hits in the 6,000 range per day...

The fact is, there are many "niches" to making money with bodybuilding, but not just the actual physical part of bodybuilding.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
What type of comfort-ability are you looking for?

Are we talking jags and benz's, Lamborghini's, hummers (h1) or are we talking Lexus, mustangs, and hummers (h2/h3)?

You talking 250-350,000 houses, or are we talking 750-2.5million dollar houses?

If you can learn as much as you possibly can, get certifications, and train other people, then you will garner a large portion of income, especially when you become a world renown trainer or even a great local trainer. Either of these will garner you great income, just one a lot more than the other.

Besides that, there are other ways from which you can bring in a lot of money just by using your knowledge of nutrition, and exercise philosophy.

I have a buddy, which I havent talk to in a couple of years, but he is a trainer in miami, and now helps to work with the dolphins on the off season training sessions. Now, he writes blogs, using his exercise/nutrition knowledge, and makes crazy money selling ad space on his blogs...i've never read his blogs but he has mentioned it to me on a few occasions... I think his blogs get hits in the 6,000 range per day...

The fact is, there are many "niches" to making money with bodybuilding, but not just the actual physical part of bodybuilding.
I want to live comfortably and not have to worry about money. I'd be cool with a nice used BMW. I actually have my NASM certification but I never used it because I make such good money serving tables. Don't wanna serve the rest of my life though. I'm looking into ACE...it seems like most places want that one.

But yeah...seems like it's one of those things where you just have to find your nitch. Nice to know it's possible though.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
This is true. I know becoming pro in the long run is an absurd long shot but it's a lofty goal that would be worth shooting for.
It's not absurd in my mind, certain jobs, like pro athlete, successful musicians & actors aren't likely to be attainable for most of us, but if it's what you want it's what you want, and I don't think people should be quite so quick to treat you like you're crazy for having the desire & going for it, because there's new faces in pro sports and the entertainment industry every year. Don't give up.

That'd be a good plan though,a college degree is always a good thing to fall back on. I was actually looking into online schooling. That seems like a good option since it would be easier to workout/eat/sleep. Thanks for the feedback,just kind of wanted peoples thoughts.
It is a good plan, but for now don't think of it as a plan B, if you do go pro you'll need that knowledge, so part of what could help keep you motivated and reduce your chances of getting side tracked academically is thinking of it as a necessity rather than an option. Online colleges are convenient, but be careful if going that route, they tend to cost a lot more and they aren't always properly accredited or respected institutions. An academic adviser at my local community college told me he had a friend who loved to surf, it was a way of life for him and when they graduated high school he said no matter what he would surf every day, and he did. It took him 4 years to get his A.A., but he got it and he never gave up any of the things he loved. I think part time school might give you enough time for eating and lifting while you prep for amateur shows, and grant easier access
to a social life compared to online classes. Someone who's actually been in shows might say otherwise though so ask around.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
My best friend is an IFBB Pro....He won 5 pro shows, and although he hasnt competed in years, was at the top of the food chain when he did...He made a LOT of money, but kept his job as a fireman. Why? Because bodybuilding doesnt last long for most people, and even though there is money to be made after your competition days are over, its not really something to build a life and family around financially.

holy

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
^^ Good points..Not to mention depending on how old you are now, you may not have enough time..

To build an elite physique takes YEARS. If you are into your 20's already, and 160, you virtually need to DOUBLE your body weight.. Especially at 5"11

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
It's not absurd in my mind, certain jobs, like pro athlete, successful musicians & actors aren't likely to be attainable for most of us, but if it's what you want it's what you want, and I don't think people should be quite so quick to treat you like you're crazy for having the desire & going for it, because there's new faces in pro sports and the entertainment industry every year. Don't give up.

It is a good plan, but for now don't think of it as a plan B, if you do go pro you'll need that knowledge, so part of what could help keep you motivated and reduce your chances of getting side tracked academically is thinking of it as a necessity rather than an option. Online colleges are convenient, but be careful if going that route, they tend to cost a lot more and they aren't always properly accredited or respected institutions. An academic adviser at my local community college told me he had a friend who loved to surf, it was a way of life for him and when they graduated high school he said no matter what he would surf every day, and he did. It took him 4 years to get his A.A., but he got it and he never gave up any of the things he loved. I think part time school might give you enough time for eating and lifting while you prep for amateur shows, and grant easier access
to a social life compared to online classes. Someone who's actually been in shows might say otherwise though so ask around.
That's some good advice/motivation. Thanks. Looking at college as essential would make it easier to finish. What is an A.A.? That's sweet though that he surfs everyday. That's what I'm talking about. He's doing something he loves to do. I want a job that I LOOOOOVE to do and I LOOOOVE to cook/eat and workout. Something separates the pros from the average guy who just likes to workout. It's a long shot but if it's possible then I want to go for it.

^^ Good points..Not to mention depending on how old you are now, you may not have enough time..

To build an elite physique takes YEARS. If you are into your 20's already, and 160, you virtually need to DOUBLE your body weight.. Especially at 5"11
So sounds like bodybuilding as a back up plan is a solid goal. I'm 22. Wouldn't 320 pounds be impossible? I mean...ever since I started going hard with my eating in the past few months I've put on about 4 pounds. How much weight would be realistic for me to gain in the next few years if my life practically revolves around eating,sleeping,and training?

Thanks again guys for the motivation and advice on the topic.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So sounds like bodybuilding as a back up plan is a solid goal. I'm 22. Wouldn't 320 pounds be impossible? I mean...ever since I started going hard with my eating in the past few months I've put on about 4 pounds. How much weight would be realistic for me to gain in the next few years if my life practically revolves around eating,sleeping,and training?
Dude I don't want to sound like a **** ( I know this will but someones got to be real here with this guy) but your not going to be able to do it unless you take a dip in the clue bag bro. Sounds like you have no idea what it takes to be a pro. I know a few guys that are trying to qualify for their pro card and have been training their asses off for the past 6-7 years seriously and just now getting a chance for their card. One may have a chance of actually doing something big with bodybuilding as he is 26. He's about 5'10" and should come on stage soon at about 215-225lbs. Thats with at least 75lbs more muscle than you have now and he's only 4 years older. He struggles to pay bills with his regular job and his body building career.

Your going to have to get on heavy gear and I mean heavy if you even want a shot in the dark at making a living off bodybuilding starrting at 22 and 5'11" 160lbs. Sorry bro but like others have said look into finishing college and getting a "normal" job.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Dude I don't want to sound like a **** ( I know this will but someones got to be real here with this guy) but your not going to be able to do it unless you take a dip in the clue bag bro. Sounds like you have no idea what it takes to be a pro. I know a few guys that are trying to qualify for their pro card and have been training their asses off for the past 6-7 years seriously and just now getting a chance for their card. One may have a chance of actually doing something big with bodybuilding as he is 26. He's about 5'10" and should come on stage soon at about 215-225lbs. Thats with at least 75lbs more muscle than you have now and he's only 4 years older. He struggles to pay bills with his regular job and his body building career.

Your going to have to get on heavy gear and I mean heavy if you even want a shot in the dark at making a living off bodybuilding starrting at 22 and 5'11" 160lbs. Sorry bro but like others have said look into finishing college and getting a "normal" job.
I guess I should have phrased my original question a little better,my bad. I'm not putting all my hopes and dreams on being a successful bodybuilder. I was more or so just wondering if it's possible and what some options are. I know going to college is the smart thing and it's what I'll probably end up doing. I don't see a problem in setting certain goals for myself extra high. If it's physically and scientifically possible then I'm going to do it. Thanks for the all the input guys.