Rosie's [Mini] Review of Maximum Absorbed Protein (Cranberry Splash flavour)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are tubs of Maximum Absorbed Protein in our cupboards, and all the flavours have been, are, or gone (and yes, I've opened and smelt every one of them) :D I've held back from using Maximum Absorbed Protein because the reason I STOPPED using protein powder was that my stomach did not reacted well to ANY that I used, even if it is only a one-off, random scoop since early 2010 (and I have actually NOT used protein powder consistently in quite some time, using MuscleGel Shots as my exclusive source of supplemented protein for the last few months). Anyways, the feedback on Maximum Absorbed Protein has been so positive and good that I figured why not try just a scoop and see how it goes (I can put up with being uncomfortable for a day if it upsets my stomach). So I used a scoop . . .

What is it?

* Improves strength and recovery better than standard protein
* 2-3 times more effective than whey or casein protein
* No artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors
* No lactose. No bloating. No cramping.

For more information, review Primordial Performance - Maximum Absorbed Protein.

Formula: 10/10. Maximum Absorbed Protein is a perfect formula for someone like me, as it contains NO lactose, and little carbohydrates/sugars (I don't like to have carbohydrates in my protein, and if it has them, I prefer them to be complex). Maximum Absorbed Protein also contains an amino acid complex, which allows it to "double" as both a protein and BCAAs product. The fact that it contains actual FRUIT and not artificial flavours, sweeteners, and flavours is also a huge PLUS :thumbsup:

Smell: 9/10. Smells like cranberries (I like cranberries) :)

Taste: 9/10. Cranberry Splash flavoured Maximum Absorbed Protein has a sharp, tart taste - true to eating fresh cranberries, and this tartness lingers at least a good 90 minutes post-use. I personally like cranberries and their tart taste - which was the primary reason I decided to try the Maximum Absorbed Protein in the first place.

Mixability: 10/10. On shaking there was no trace of the powder and no clumps or excess was left in the water or on the bottom of the shaker.

Texture: 10/10. Maximum Absorbed Protein has a very light texture, not like the heaviness of protein powder - in fact, it was just like shaking up and having BC+EAA, and I didn't feel like I was having protein powder at all, but rather something akin to a preworkout product or BCAAs formula (which it technically is, though).

Strength: N/A. After only one serving, this is not applicable. Not only that, but it was on a day where I did not perform resistance training. For noticeable effects in strength, a longer period of time would be needed to assess this, and even then, training goals and routines, as well as nutrition and other supplements used would affect this, so I would not be able to say whether it made a difference to my strength.

Recovery: N/A. I used the Maximum Absorbed Protein after a training session and was fine. I will not know until later in the day - or even tomorrow or a few days - how my recovery really was. Add to that the fact that I am already using products that help enhance my recovery, any recovery benefits will be a combination of everything.

Other Effects: 10/10. Surprisingly, I did not experience any tummy upsets, bloating, air, or cramping afterwards - as I did with every other protein powder before I stopped using them altogether. The only "other effect" it has was causing me to feel slightly cold inside for a bit and a warming in my face - which is an effect I get when I consume tart things, fruit especially (and actually has similar effects on me as eating cranberries does, which is not surprising since it contains freeze-dried cranberries).

Overall: 9.7/10. Based on my experience with Maximum Absorbed Protein, and the fact that it doubles as a BCAAs product, and uses real fruit for sweetness and taste makes it very favourable in my opinion. In fact, as far as formula (re fitting my personal goals and needs), effects (no bloating, etc.), and flavour (especially flavour), Maximum Absorbed Protein is my #1 protein powder (and yes, this IS a call one can make after ONE serving of a protein powder), and I may even consider adding it in with MuscleGel Shots re supplemented protein.

Would I use again? If I used protein powder, then yes, I would. If I did not have any more MuscleGel Shots and was concurrently out of BC+EAA, I would use Maximum Absorbed Protein then - this says a lot, because I will not use any OTHER protein powder, period, even the ones that used to be my top and favourite protein powders. I may even consider adding it in with MuscleGel Shots re supplemented protein and replace my BC+EAA with this - get both benefits in one.

Would I recommend? Yes. Maximum Absorbed Protein has a solid ingredient profile. Feedback on the product is solid. Flavour tastes great. It can be used pre, intra, and post-training (intra and post re recovery effects), so an all-round product.

This review can also be found at post #60 of my log Genomyx H.E.A.T.s up the Female Terminator with DCP to Smolder for Competition in the Supplement Reviews/Logs subforum.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Out of all the flavors I have tried the Tropical Mango is my favorite tasting. However, the Cranberry we have in the cupboard is good stuff.

Now something I will mention for everyone else...all of the MAP flavors smell incredibly enticing, but be warned that while the Strawberry Lemonade and the Lime Flavors smell great they are an acquired taste. ;)

Cheers!:cheers:

-Sean-

Primordial Performance

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Out of all the flavors I have tried the Tropical Mango is my favorite tasting. However, the Cranberry we have in the cupboard is good stuff.
Yep, I used the Tropical Mango flavour today - tasted good. We all have our preferences, though ;)

~Rosie~

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Now something I will mention for everyone else...all of the MAP flavors smell incredibly enticing, but be warned that while the Strawberry Lemonade and the Lime Flavors smell great they are an acquired taste. ;)

-Sean-

Primordial Performance
I actually enjoyed the Lime, but Mango is another league of good. I half way cant believe its actually pepto pro in there lol!

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
I actually enjoyed the Lime, but Mango is another league of good. I half way cant believe its actually pepto pro in there lol!
Like I said...the SL and the Lime are acquired flavors. They are not terrible by any means, but the taste does not match the great smell if you know what I mean?

-Sean-

Primordial Performance

steve74

Awards
strawberry lemonade is the most vile thing I've ever tasted.
If I wrung out some sweaty socks into a glass I'm sure it would taste better.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
strawberry lemonade is the most vile thing I've ever tasted.
If I wrung out some sweaty socks into a glass I'm sure it would taste better.
Then you should definitely try the Cranberry Splash - definitely my favourite flavour of the two I have tried so far, and if I continue using Maximum Absorbed Protein, it will be the one I use :)

~Rosie~

Kellyflan1

Kellyflan1

Awards
I was going to ask if there was a larger size than 1 pound until i did the math and realized it would $150 per 5lb tub. I see more EAS from that large box store at $30 per 5lb for my extra thin wallet. LOL

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was going to ask if there was a larger size than 1 pound until i did the math and realized it would $150 per 5lb tub. I see more EAS from that large box store at $30 per 5lb for my extra thin wallet. LOL
Unfortunately the cost of peptopro and not resorting to artificial flavoring surely drives the price of map up. It certainly does not replace my whey, but consider it a Ferrari. It will cost too much gas to always drive it, that's what the sedan is for, but taking it for a quick spin after work is never frowned upon.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good review. Might be worth trying for my preworkout protein, as every protein I have ever taken preworkout has upset my stomach. I've stopped taking protein preworkout for the last month and haven't felt sick once.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope, no larger size for Maximum Absorbed Protein. What brand and type of protein one uses depends on many factors - for some of us, if we use protein powder, cost cannot be one of those factors if we want to use it (i.e. re my issues with upset stomach).

Good review. Might be worth trying for my preworkout protein, as every protein I have ever taken preworkout has upset my stomach. I've stopped taking protein preworkout for the last month and haven't felt sick once.
Cheers :) I don't use protein pre-workout, period - I do all of my training on an empty stomach first thing. As I said though, ANY and ALL protein powders before I stopped has been causing stomach upset and other issues with me, no matter what they were and when I used them - Maximum Absorbed Protein did not do this, so I DO recommend it if you are sensitive to other protein powders.

~Rosie~

Topgearfan

Awards
I just started using MAP and it tastes good and easy to drink. I like the OP have always stayed away from protein powders because of taste and stomach issues. The only issues I have with MAP is the price and the size of the tubs do not make it a cost effective alternative. The low protein per dose ensures that you will have to by around 5 or 6 tubs a month of it even taking it just pre and post workout 5 days a week to get a reasonable amount(30g) it seems.

I am not sure if everyone just takes one scoop each time or not. Maybe that is all you really need of this stuff. I am just used to getting 50g+ per drink with a powder and only 2 scoops like the Jay Robb or Max Muscle has, but I hate the taste of either of those, and they mess my stomach up bad.

I have been able to go without a protein sup for awhile now and still get solid gains by eating. I always believed in getting most if not all of my protein from solid foods anyway. This is just a trial run with MAP to see if there is any difference. I also use PP's IBCAA.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just started using MAP and it tastes good and easy to drink. I like the OP have always stayed away from protein powders because of taste and stomach issues. The only issues I have with MAP is the price and the size of the tubs do not make it a cost effective alternative. The low protein per dose ensures that you will have to by around 5 or 6 tubs a month of it even taking it just pre and post workout 5 days a week to get a reasonable amount(30g) it seems.

I am not sure if everyone just takes one scoop each time or not. Maybe that is all you really need of this stuff. I am just used to getting 50g+ per drink with a powder and only 2 scoops like the Jay Robb or Max Muscle has, but I hate the taste of either of those, and they mess my stomach up bad.

I have been able to go without a protein sup for awhile now and still get solid gains by eating. I always believed in getting most if not all of my protein from solid foods anyway. This is just a trial run with MAP to see if there is any difference. I also use PP's IBCAA.
I just use a single scoop when I used it.

It's definitely best to get as much of your protein needs from food. For the larger individuals, and in times when eating is not convenient, protein powder (or MuscleGel Shots) are very handy and appreciated.

~Rosie~

Topgearfan

Awards
I totally agree. I tried at one time to get most of my protein from powder and ended up losing size and strength. I was in the bathroom a lot.lol

I see a lot of guys starting off thinking that using protein powder 5-6 times a day is best, and it just is not, and I try to tell them this is why they see no gains. they are not eating enough. They are basically on a liquid diet which is not a good thing.

Over the last 19 years I have so many different protein powders, and did not like any of them for long term use. As I said in another post I started out using Milk & Egg protein powder back in the day, and that was so awful and hard to drink I stopped for years using protein drinks. I had sense memory reaction to any of the new ones that started coming out in the mid to late 90's. MAP is the closet I have found to a long term protein sup. I can afford to get a few tubs a month so I will do that until I get bored of it:)

I just use a single scoop when I used it.

It's definitely best to get as much of your protein needs from food. For the larger individuals, and in times when eating is not convenient, protein powder (or MuscleGel Shots) are very handy and appreciated.

~Rosie~

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
damn, strawberry is my favorite, more than the mango....and i use 2-3 scoops, 3 times a day.....its the ibcaa that makes the taste go a little

i leave it in the fridge for more than an hour, when its cold its good

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Cool review! Been using the strawberry Lemonade for a couple of days pre and peri workout and will be doing a review after my first tub is done. Like sking6464, cold is the way to go with SL. Gonna try Mango and Cranberry next!

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool review! Been using the strawberry Lemonade for a couple of days pre and peri workout and will be doing a review after my first tub is done. Like sking6464, cold is the way to go with SL. Gonna try Mango and Cranberry next!
Glad you like it I love MAP!

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thing with MAP is I have heard feedback from others who have stomach discomfort and MAP seems to not cause this (fast absorption).

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Well you have to consider 1 10 gram scoop of MAP is similar to 20+ of regular whey.
Absorbs better than standard protein
Absorbs better than free amino acids
Enhances recovery & strength better than regular protein
Increases protein synthesis within 30 minutes
Low calorie (<54 calories)
Low carb (<4g carbs)
Low sugar (<2g sugar)
100% natural

HATEFULone

HATEFULone

Awards
  • Established
Strawberry lemonade and cranberry splash are my top two flavors, mango was ok, peptopro is is usually rough flavor wise so well done with the flavors. Dosage wise I have been doing half a scoop preworkout with 1 scoop ibcaa's, then post workout 1 scoop with 3 scoops ibcaa's, then about 30-45 minutes later I do a whey shake.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
man i leave mine in the fridge for an hour just to be sure..good stuff, but needs to be cold
Agreed, cold is the way to go.

@ reps- is there any sales coming up?

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just tried lime flavor... not bad actually! I thought the taste would be terrible but no, it was a welcome change from drinking vanilla shakes everyday.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a nice product! I bet the flavors are tasty as well. I tried the ALRI Humapro for a while and didn't see much noticeable difference and couldn't stand the taste of the Apple Cider. The only bulk protein that doesn't give my stomach issues is the Nutrapro. I'd like to try this as a pre-workout protein source.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like a nice product! I bet the flavors are tasty as well. I tried the ALRI Humapro for a while and didn't see much noticeable difference and couldn't stand the taste of the Apple Cider. The only bulk protein that doesn't give my stomach issues is the Nutrapro. I'd like to try this as a pre-workout protein source.
Blast from the past!! I haven't seen you around in ages, FoG.

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
Just tried lime flavor... not bad actually! I thought the taste would be terrible but no, it was a welcome change from drinking vanilla shakes everyday.
tbsp of gatorade changes everything, n only about 8g carbs if you are afraid of them

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Blast from the past!! I haven't seen you around in ages, FoG.
Hey Rodja! Good to see you again and good to see you repping for such a good company.