Bench tips/workouts. - AnabolicMinds.com

Bench tips/workouts.

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Bench tips/workouts.

Hi im sixteen and lift at the oklahoma football coaches association powerlifting meets. Going into the spring next year il be ranked second in the state at 198 or if i drop #1 in the 181. Just wondering if anybody out there has some tips for getting my bench or overall totals up. I lift in our football weight room and we have a limited amount of equip., basically we have flat benches, inclines, dumbells, and squat racks. We do bench, squat, and deadlift at the meets. Thanks for any info.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pantherdude63 View Post
    Hi im sixteen and lift at the oklahoma football coaches association powerlifting meets. Going into the spring next year il be ranked second in the state at 198 or if i drop #1 in the 181. Just wondering if anybody out there has some tips for getting my bench or overall totals up. We do bench, squat, and deadlift. Thanks for any info.
    What does your current bench routine look like?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

At the moment it sucks. Im having to follow my football coaches summer pride workout of:

Monday: bench (5x5 at 85% of your max)
    incline (same thing)
    military press 3x10
    lat pulls
    upright rows

Tuesday: lower body

Thursday he has us doing the four core lifts of bench, squat, incline, powerclean.

But football will soon be starting and i can start my own workout. I throw in some other lifts with his system but nothing major as his makes it difficult to.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

The 5x5 is good for strength. That is actually what I'm currently doing as part of my routine. It wouldn't hurt if you could to throw in some heavy tri lifts like pulldowns or skullcrushers, and at least a few sets of heavy shrugs (smith machine works really well for these). These alone will bump you 5-10% in a couple of months.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.

Try to throw in a little bit of tri and shoulder exercises.
    Also every once in a while, say every other week. Try doing sets of 6/6/3/3/1
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

add heavy one arm db presses and pull-ups...thatll do it...and also..theres a different form when benching for power than say for benching as a bodybuilder..you should be able to google that and it should show u how...can't really explain that here lol
  7. New Member

You got all the equipment you need man. I think to many people try and complicate stuff.

Id really keep it simple and hammer two moves a day. 5 rep ranges are great for mass and strength. A lot of the greats swore on the 5 rep set working up to a 5 rep max and then possibly a set or two after the 5 rep set just nailing solid singles with a few lbs heavier. Not a max as your fatigued but working with heavy weights and perfect form. lets say you hit a5 RM of 225 then take 235 or 245 and do a few singles. Do one more move maybe incline DB's or some partial work like pin press or floor press and then some triceps work and call it a day pressing and hit some upper back. 4 or 5 Total moves a day is plenty or even less really work the basic heavy moves.

As the days go on and the met gets closer I would start dropping the reps per set and adding load going to 3 reps then heavy singles for the work set to get used to heavy loads

during season, your going to have top make training bare bone you wont have the time to recover. Id make it VERY simple and heavy trying to NOT pack on mass but keep or get stronger. Heavy and brief. Low volume HIGH intensity. heavy singles or 3x3 etc.

work hard try to NEVER fail, training to failure is training to fail when your a strength athlete. You need to ingrain confidence and aim and believe your going to finish every rep

learn how to bench correct, how to get tight and transfer your whole body to the lift.

If you can video your training. its the best tool youll have you can see things youll never feel and posted in the right place youll get feedback and suggestions. ignore the BS from haters on the web and take the constructive criticism

above all work hard and have a blast
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    You got all the equipment you need man. I think to many people try and complicate stuff.

Id really keep it simple and hammer two moves a day. 5 rep ranges are great for mass and strength. A lot of the greats swore on the 5 rep set working up to a 5 rep max and then possibly a set or two after the 5 rep set just nailing solid singles with a few lbs heavier. Not a max as your fatigued but working with heavy weights and perfect form. lets say you hit a5 RM of 225 then take 235 or 245 and do a few singles. Do one more move maybe incline DB's or some partial work like pin press or floor press and then some triceps work and call it a day pressing and hit some upper back. 4 or 5 Total moves a day is plenty or even less really work the basic heavy moves.

As the days go on and the met gets closer I would start dropping the reps per set and adding load going to 3 reps then heavy singles for the work set to get used to heavy loads

during season, your going to have top make training bare bone you wont have the time to recover. Id make it VERY simple and heavy trying to NOT pack on mass but keep or get stronger. Heavy and brief. Low volume HIGH intensity. heavy singles or 3x3 etc.

work hard try to NEVER fail, training to failure is training to fail when your a strength athlete. You need to ingrain confidence and aim and believe your going to finish every rep

learn how to bench correct, how to get tight and transfer your whole body to the lift.

If you can video your training. its the best tool youll have you can see things youll never feel and posted in the right place youll get feedback and suggestions. ignore the BS from haters on the web and take the constructive criticism

above all work hard and have a blast
    Thaks bro really good posting. Its difficult to do anything other than my football coaches workout for most of the year but during f.b. season lifting isnt mandatory. If you have a total body workout i would be extremely thankful if you posted it. Thanks again.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  240 lbs.

Exclamation

Do the JM Press...

http://www.criticalbench.com/JM-presses.htm

That worked fo me.

10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BullMuscle View Post
    Do the JM Press...

That worked fo me.

Looks like it would be a good movement but how much different is it from close grip bench, as far as tricep isolation?
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by BullMuscle View Post
    Do the JM Press...

That worked fo me.

Very soild movement there that not only helps the bench out but adds some serious meat to the triceps. An overlooked exercise by many
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  295 lbs.

what about dips? weighted or not?

that and close grips after going through you bench cycle worked well for me. we would do a pyramid of 10,8,6,4. If you completed the pyramid you would start the next weeks pyramid ten pounds heavier and go from there. The close grip looks like the JM press. I would wrap my index fingers right at the point where the bar began to have its gripping. make sense? the criss crossed lines? But keep your elbows in tight to your body when you press. Press that weight off you as fast as possible from the bottom.

Similar Forum Threads

1. bench workouts...
    By chubbsthedog6 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM
  2. heavy bench workouts?
    By Farriell in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM
  4. Tips for adding reps to Bench Press