West Side BarBell

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
So i always heard Pmiller talk about this, ive heard many others talk about it. I finally looked it up and did some reading on muscle talk. It kinda helped me understand it more and i also watched some videos. can someone give me an example workout of it? and kinda dummy it down for me? The chain idea is very interesting...not quite sure how my gym would feel about it and the bands i usually use for my injuries. Thanks for the help guys. This really looks like an interesting workout and just trying to understand the gist of it alittle better.
-tex :twisted:

The K Train

The K Train

Awards
i agree man it seems to be a very interesting strength building workout. i might be trying the program soon myself!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Westside Barbell®"Often Imitated but never duplicated"

No place better than the source. It's a simple concept really: strength is made up of force and speed. Train seperately and together for both. You then get Dynamic Effort (speed) days, and Maximum Effort (force) days. If I remember right there's supposed to be a certain time frame between the two. From that simple framework though people have built up very complex programs. The chains are just a tool in the overall arsenal, just like your regular barbells.

Here's an article with some helpful bits. Here's another one with a sample workout in it.

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
So i always heard Pmiller talk about this, ive heard many others talk about it. I finally looked it up and did some reading on muscle talk. It kinda helped me understand it more and i also watched some videos. can someone give me an example workout of it? and kinda dummy it down for me? The chain idea is very interesting...not quite sure how my gym would feel about it and the bands i usually use for my injuries. Thanks for the help guys. This really looks like an interesting workout and just trying to understand the gist of it alittle better.
-tex :twisted:

Check out the Westside for Skinny Bastards series, lays out some usefule templates for you...

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside2.htm

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Texas,
Journey your skinny @ss over to the powerlifting section and check out the sticky on WSB. If you want bands and chains and stuff shot me a PM and I can get you some discounts at a couple places. That goes for anyone else interested. Glad to see your trying to GFH!

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
GFH? whats that? but yeah man i have just been seeing it everywhere and i read on it last night. i just began implements a new workout about 7 days ago otherwise i would give this a shot. I thik next routine change i wil ldef go for this. I love the idea. It sounds so basic, like well **** why didnt i think of that? but yet seems to produce great results. I will most likely be hitting you up on those offers BTW bro.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
you hve to have at least 1 spotter on hand for all these excercises it seems

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
you hve to have at least 1 spotter on hand for all these excercises it seems
This is powerlifting, my brother. If you don't have one of the giants from 300 to smack you around and psych you up, you're coming up short.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You could fly out here and come train with them for the day. Both Louie and Elite are out here. Not even 30min from me.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
im jelous. i need some WO partners. some people who actually give a **** not just go curl weights. i always lift by myslef and its a killer cuz i always resort to more reps instead of more weight and routines like these

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
You could fly out here and come train with them for the day. Both Louie and Elite are out here. Not even 30min from me.
Rub it in why don't ya.

krogtaar

Awards
does dynamic/speed lift mean using a faster lift tempo(ie up, pause, down) or is it just reffering to the different reps/sets and rest

i dont see tempo mentioned on these pages
thanks

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
does dynamic/speed lift mean using a faster lift tempo(ie up, pause, down) or is it just reffering to the different reps/sets and rest

i dont see tempo mentioned on these pages
thanks
The ideal of dynamic work is to create as much force as possible. So to answer your question yes, you keep the tempo as high as you can while still controlling weight. You only use 50-60% of your 1RM but you lift it with the same amount of force like you would your 1RM. Usually for DE days you would pick a main exercise and do 8-12 sets of 2-3 with no more than 45-60 seconds rest in between sets.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
The ideal of dynamic work is to create as much force as possible. So to answer your question yes, you keep the tempo as high as you can while still controlling weight. You only use 50-60% of your 1RM but you lift it with the same amount of force like you would your 1RM. Usually for DE days you would pick a main exercise and do 8-12 sets of 2-3 with no more than 45-60 seconds rest in between sets.

yup, the only thing i will say about westside is that i have taken more from them than anywhere else, but i think the prototypical westside template is tough to follow, especially if you don't lift equipped. Speed bench is very very tough on your joints, especially someone who is tall like myself and has a long range of motion. I also think you need to deadlift alot more than the original template states. You can go to elitefts.com and look at the training logs of the guys their, just about all powerlifters take alot from Louis, but kind of form it to fit them. The most important thing Westside can teach you is to train your weakpoints, something most people ignore.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
im jelous. i need some WO partners. some people who actually give a **** not just go curl weights. i always lift by myslef and its a killer cuz i always resort to more reps instead of more weight and routines like these
agree. ive got my gf sometimes haha
im gonna use that defranco template for the strength aspect of my bulk. 8 weeks of that training should yield some awesome results.